Sonny Liston vs. Cassius Clay (1st meeting)
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
Revision as of 14:10, 1 December 2006 by Aku
- World Heavyweight Title
- Referee: Barney Felix
- Scoring at time of stoppage: Felix 57-57, Bernie Lovett 58-56 (Liston), Gus Jacobson 58-56 (Clay)
- Weights: Clay 210½ (95 kg), Liston 218 (98 kg)
- Liston was 7-1 favorite to win.
- Liston refused to come out for Round 7, citing an injured left shoulder.
- After the fight, Clay changed his name to Cassius X and then to Muhammad Ali.
- Named Ring Magazine Fight of the Year.
- Proclaimed the "Fight and Upset of the Decade" (1960s) by The Ring magazine.
- "He’s too ugly to be the world’s champ! The world’s champ should be pretty like me!" Ali's comment about Liston in pre-fight interview
- "round eight to prove I’m great!" Ali's prediction before the fight