Steve Smoger is a famous American boxing referee. He works exclusively on the East Coast, and is often featured as the referee in world title or major fights taking place at East Coast venues. When Smoger is not refereeing fights, he serves as a Municipal Court Judge in Atlantic City, as well as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force Reserves.
In boxing circles, Smoger is known as being one of the most lenient referees in the sport. This liberal attitude often results in exciting fights as the action is only broken up when it is absolutely necessary.
Aside from his excellence as a referee, Smoger is also known for being the victim in the "chair incident" which took place during the first Oleg Maskaev vs. Hasim Rahman fight. Smoger, the backup referee at the fight, was sitting just outside of the ring when Rahman was knocked out of it by Maskaev. Shortly after Rahman hit the ringside floor, Smoger was struck in the head by a chair which had been thrown from the crowd by a fan who was soon arrested.
Steve Smoger Gallery
Notable Refereed Fights
- Danny Garcia vs. Zab Judah for WBA and WBC Light Welterweight Titles.
- Gennady Golovkin vs. Gabriel Rosado for the WBA and IBO Middleweight Titles.
- Andre Ward vs. Chad Dawson for the WBA and WBC Super Middleweight Titles.
- Devon Alexander vs. Marcos Maidana
- Andre Ward vs. Carl Froch for the WBA, WBC, The Ring Magazine Super Middleweight Titles. - Bout was the final of Showtime's Super Six Boxing Classic.
- Miguel Angel Cotto vs. Antonio Margarito (2nd meeting) for the WBA Super World Light Middleweight Title.
- Pawel Wolak vs. Delvin Rodriguez - Bout was named the Fight of the Year by the BWAA
- Tavoris Cloud vs. Glen Johnson for the IBF Light Heavyweight Title
- Amir Khan vs. Paul Malignaggi for the WBA Light Welterweight Title
- Jermain Taylor vs. Kelly Pavlik (1st meeting) for the WBC and WBO Middleweight Titles. - Bout was named the Fight of the Year by the BWAA
- John Ruiz vs. James Toney for the WBA and IBA Heavyweight Titles - Toney defeated Ruiz by unanimous decision, but the result was changed to a no contest when Toney tested positive for a banned substance.
- Diego Corrales vs. Joel Casamayor (2nd meeting) for the WBO and IBA Super Featherweight Titles.
- Shane Mosley vs. Vernon Forrest (1st meeting) for the WBC Welterweight Title.
- John Ruiz vs. Evander Holyfield (3rd meeting) for the WBA Heavyweight Title.
- Brian Nielsen vs. Mike Tyson
- Bernard Hopkins vs. Felix Trinidad for the WBC, WBA, and IBF Middleweight Titles.
- Roy Jones Jr. vs. Bernard Hopkins (1st meeting) for the IBF Middleweight Title - It was the first world title for Jones. Jr.
- Welcome Ncita vs. Kennedy McKinney (1st meeting) for the IBF Super Bantamweight Title - The Ring Magazine Knockout of the Year
- Larry Holmes vs. Ray Mercer
- James Toney vs. Mike McCallum (1st meeting) for the IBF Middleweight Title
- Lennox Lewis vs. Bruce Johnson - U.S. debut for Lewis
- Jong-Kwan Chung vs. Bi-Won Jung (3rd meeting) for the IBF Flyweight Title - Smoger's first known world-title bout