Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Johnny Gant
Revision as of 17:12, 7 September 2012 by Earl
1979-01-11 : Sugar Ray Leonard 146 lbs beat Johnny Gant 144¾ lbs by TKO at 2:57 in round 8 of 12
- Location: Capitol Centre, Landover, Maryland, USA
- Referee: Joe Bunsa
- Judge: Terry Moore 35-28
- Judge: Larry Barrett 34-31
- Referee: Joe Bunsa 34-31
- Leonard and Gant fought before a sellout crowd of 19,773.
- The fight was billed as the Mid-Atlantic Welterweight Championship.
- Leonard knocked Gant down late in the eighth round. Gant got up on unsteady legs and nodded when the referee asked him if he was okay. Leonard then moved in and hit Gant with a hard right hand, prompting the referee to stop the fight.
- Judge Moore did not give Gant a round. Referee Bunsa gave Gant the fifth and called the fourth and sixth even. Judge Barrett gave Gant the seventh and called the first and sixth even.