Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Johnny Gant
Revision as of 20:44, 15 June 2013 by Boxsoup
1979-01-11 : Sugar Ray Leonard 146 lbs beat Johnny Gant 144¾ lbs by TKO at 2:57 in round 8 of 12
- Location: Capitol Centre, Landover, Maryland, USA
- Referee: Joe Bunsa
- Judge: Terry Moore 35-28
- Judge: Larry Barrett 34-31
- Referee: Joe Bunsa 34-31
- Leonard and Gant fought before a sellout crowd of 19,773.
- The fight was billed as the Mid-Atlantic Welterweight Championship.
- Leonard was ranked third by The Ring, tenth by the WBC, and fourth by the WBA. Gant was ranked fourth by The Ring and eighth by the WBC, but he was not ranked by the WBA.
- Leonard knocked Gant down late in the eighth round. Gant got up on unsteady legs and nodded when the referee asked him if he was okay. Leonard then moved in and hit Gant with a hard right hand, prompting the referee to stop the fight.
- Judge Terry Moore did not give Gant a single round, referee Joe Bunsa gave Gant the fifth and called the fourth and sixth even, and judge Larry Barrett gave Gant the seventh and called the first and sixth even.