Revision as of 02:14, 22 April 2013 by Sweetscientist
Name: Thomas Hearns
Alias: Hitman/Motor City Cobra
Birthplace: Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Hometown: Detroit, Michigan, USA
Height: 6′ 1″ / 185cm
Reach: 78″ / 198cm
Boxing Record: click
- Trainer & Manager: Emanuel Steward
- Elder brother of Billy Hearns
- Father of Ronald Hearns
- Thomas Hearns Gallery
- Amateur record: 155-8. Reports vary on his number of wins by stoppage. They include 7, 11, and 12.
- 1977 National Golden Gloves Light Welterweight Champion, outpointing Bobby Joe Young in the final.
- 1977 National Amateur Athletic Union Light Welterweight Champion, outpointing Bobby Joe Young in the final.
- The first boxer to win world titles in four weight divisions and also the first boxer to win world titles in five weight divisions:
- USBA Welterweight Champion (March 2, 1980) KO 4 Angel Espada
- WBA Welterweight Champion (August 2, 1980) KO 2 Pipino Cuevas
- WBC Super Welterweight Champion (December 3, 1982) W 15 Wilfred Benitez
- NABF Middleweight Champion (March 10, 1986) KO 1 James Shuler
- WBC Light Heavyweight Champion (March 7, 1987) KO 10 Dennis Andries
- WBC Middleweight Champion (October 29, 1987) KO 4 Juan Domingo Roldan
- NABF Super Middleweight Champion (November 4, 1988) W 12 James Kinchen
- WBO Super Middleweight Champion (November 4, 1988) W 12 James Kinchen
- NABF Cruiserweight Champion (January 29, 1994) KO 1 Dan Ward
- WBU Cruiserweight Champion (March 31, 1995) KO 1 Lenny LaPaglia
- IBO Cruiserweight Champion (April 10, 1999) W 12 Nate Miller
- Four opponents retired after being stopped by Hearns: Ray Fields, Pedro Rojas, Harold Weston, Lenny LaPaglia.
Awards and Recognition
- Named The Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year in 1980 and 1984.
- Named Boxing Writers Association of America Fighter of the Year in 1980 and 1984.
- Named The Greatest Junior Middleweight of All-Time by The Ring Magazine in 1994.
- Inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2012.
| WBA Welterweight Champion
1980 Aug 2 – 1981 Sep 16
Sugar Ray Leonard
| WBC Light Middleweight Champion
1982 Dec 3 – 1986
| WBC Light Heavyweight Champion
1987 Mar 7 – 1987 Nov 27
Sugar Ray Leonard
| WBC Middleweight Champion
1987 Oct 29 – 1988 Jun 6
| WBO Super Middleweight Champion
1988 Nov 4 – 1990 Apr 28
| WBA Light Heavyweight Champion
1991 Jun 3 – 1992 Mar 20