Tony Canzoneri vs. Kid Chocolate (1st meeting)
Revision as of 18:41, 5 January 2013 by Flatnose
1931-11-20 : Tony Canzoneri 132 lbs beat Kid Chocolate 127½ lbs by SD in round 15 of 15
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Willie Lewis
- Judge: Charles F. Mathison
- Judge: Joe Agnello
World Lightweight Title
- Judge Mathison voted for Chocolate, resulting in the split decision.
- Canzoneri won custody of the "Lonsdale Belt originally awarded to Freddie Welsh."
- "[O]ne of the noisiest and most disorderly demonstrations the arena ever has witnessed after one of the greatest lightweight championship battles in local ring annals." New York Times
- See this photo of Mrs. Welsh presenting the title belt to Jimmy Johnston.
- Unofficial AP scorecard - 8-5-2 Canzoneri