Revision as of 07:33, 16 April 2013 by Boxsoup
Name: Tony Tubbs
Birthplace: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Hometown: Santa Monica, California, USA
Height: 6′ 3″ / 190cm
Reach: 79″ / 201cm
Boxing Record: click
- Compiled an amateur record of 240-13.
- As an amateur, Tubbs defeated Greg Page, Marvis Frazier, Jimmy Clark, and Mitch Green.
- Tubbs represented the United States at the 1978 World Amateur Championships in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. His results were:
- 1979 National AAU Heavyweight champion
- 1979 World Cup Heavyweight Champion
- Defeated Greg Page by a fifteen-round unanimous decision on April 29, 1985 to win the WBA Heavyweight Championship.
- Lost the WBA Heavyweight Championship to Tim Witherspoon by a fifteen-round majority decision on January 17, 1986. Tubbs weighed 229 pounds when he won the title, and he was criticized for going into his first title defense against Witherspoon at 244.
- Fought Mike Tyson for the WBA/WBC/IBF Heavyweight Championship on March 21, 1988 and was knocked out in two rounds. The promoter offered Tubbs an additional $50,000 if he weighed less than 235 pounds for the fight. He weighed 238¼.
Failed Drug Tests and Arrests
- Tubbs' decision win over Orlin Norris in November 1989 for the NABF Heavyweight Championship was changed to a "no decision" after Tubbs tested positive for cocaine.
- A week before Tubbs defeated Bruce Seldon in October 1992 in an ESPN-televised fight, he was charged with purchasing cocaine, a second-degree felony.
- Tubbs was scheduled to fight Tyrell Biggs for the vacant USBA Heavyweight Championship in January 1993, but he was replaced by Mike (The Bounty) Hunter after he tested positive for cocaine.
- Tubbs pleaded guilty to cocaine trafficking in November 2000 and was sentenced to two months in jail, three years of probation and drug testing.
- Tubbs was sentenced to six months in prison for cocaine possession in January 2010 after he chose prison over an offered stay in a locked-down drug rehabilitation facility. "Mr. Tubbs, you're in the fight of your life," said Judge Melba Marsh. "How come you're not fighting?" Tubbs replied, "I know I'm a winner."
| WBA Heavyweight Champion
1985 Apr 29 – 1986 Jan 17