Victor Ortiz vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2011-09-17 : Floyd Mayweather Jr 146½ lbs beat Victor Ortiz 147 lbs by KO at 2:59 in round 4 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Joe Cortez
- Judge: Jerry Roth
- Judge: Adalaide Byrd
- Judge: Glenn Trowbridge
- Mayweather wins every round
- Ortiz attacked Floyd in the fourth, then intentionally headbutted him in a corner, then swung at Floyd twice after the butt.
- Referee Joe Cortez stops the action and penalizes Ortz one point for an intentional headbutt, Ortiz immediately embraced Floyd and apologized.
- Both fighters embrace again in center ring. Cortez did reinitiate the action. Cortez turns away to look at the timekeeper and Floyd knocks out Ortiz (still looking at the ref), Cortez not looking at the fighters.
- Controversial verbal exchange between Floyd Mayweather and commentator Larry Merchant after the bout. Floyd told Merchant "You don't know sh...t about boxing!" Merchant who told Floyd "If I were fifty years younger I would kick your........" Neither remarks appeared appropriate or professional. Ortiz told Merchant his bout "With Floyd was a learning experience."
- In the post fight commentary by Amir Khan, Khan noted "Instinctively after being deliberately fouled, a fighter wants to get back at the guy who did it, that's why this happened."
- In post fight commentary regarding this bout, everyone noted referee Joe Cortez (seen on pay-per-view giving prefight instructions) did indeed say "Protect yourself at all times."