Victor Ortiz vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Revision as of 20:55, 17 September 2011 by James galaxy
2011-09-17 : Floyd Mayweather Jr 146½ lbs beat Victor Ortiz 147 lbs by KO at 2:59 in round 4 of 12
- Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Joe Cortez
- Judge: Jerry Roth
- Judge: Adalaide Byrd
- Judge: Glenn Trowbridge
- Mayweather wins every round
- Ortiz attacked Floyd in the fourth, landing a series of head punches, but then intentionally headbutted Floyd with Floyd in a corner, then swung at Floyd twice after the butt.
- Referee Joe Cortez immediately stopped the action and penalized Ortiz one point for intentional headbutting. Ortiz immediately embraced Floyd on the ropes and apologized. Fighters were not sent to neutral corners.
- Both fighters embrace again in center ring. Cortez did reinitiate the action. Cortez turns away to look at the timekeeper and Floyd knocks out an apparently confused Ortiz (still looking at the ref)
- Cortez was not looking at the fighters and never saw Floyd knock Ortiz down.
- Cortez looks back from the timekeeper, sees Ortiz down, and ten counts Ortiz out.
- Controversial verbal exchange between Floyd Mayweather and commentator Larry Merchant after the bout. Floyd screamed at Merchant "You don't know sh...t about boxing!" Merchant responded to a departing Floyd with a smile "If I were fifty years younger I would kick your........" Both remarks appeared highly inappropriate and unprofessional. Ortiz told Merchant his bout "With Floyd was a learning experience."
- In the post fight commentary by Amir Khan, Khan noted "Instinctively after being deliberately fouled, a fighter wants to get back at the guy who did it, that's why this happened."
- In post fight commentary regarding this bout, everyone noted referee Joe Cortez (seen on pay-per-view giving prefight instructions) did indeed say "Protect yourself at all times."