Name: Vitali Klitschko
Alias: Dr. Ironfist
Birth Name: Vitali Volodymyrovych Klitschko
Birthplace: Belovodskoye, Kyrgyzstan
Hometown: Kiev, Ukraine
Height: 6′ 7″ / 201cm
Reach: 79″ / 201cm
Boxing Record: click
Trainer: Fritz Sdunek
Cut Man: Joe Souza
- Vitali Klitschko (Ukrainian: Vitaliy Volodymyrovych Klychko), is a former WBC Heavyweight Champion.
Klitschko announced his retirement on November 9, 2005, after undergoing knee surgery, which had postponed his scheduled November 12, 2005 title defense against Hasim Rahman. Klitschko had been plagued by injuries in 2005, having had to cancel two previous bouts with Rahman due to thigh and back problems. Following his third postponement, Klitschko had been given an ultimatum by the WBC to face Rahman within 60 days or have his title awarded to Rahman, who had become the interim champion. However, Klitschko was expected to have a recovery time of six months due to the knee surgery on his ligament.
Klitschko has expressed a desire to enter politics in his native country, Ukraine. He ran for mayor of Kiev and parliament in the Ukrainian elections on March 26, 2006.
Klitschko is a supporter of current Ukranian president Viktor Yushchenko and his party, Our Ukraine. Klitschko was seen at Yushchenko's side during the 2004 Orange Revolution, which ultimately resulted in Yushchenko's election as president.
Preliminary results indicated that Klitschko received 22% of the vote for mayor in the election; placing him in a tie for 2nd with incumbent mayor Oleksandr Omelchenko, but trailing lawmaker Leonid Chernovetskiy, who received 30%. Klitschko's aspirations for parliament were also unsuccessful, as his party appeared to have received less than the 3% necessary to earn representation in the new parliament.
- 1995 Super Heavyweight Silver Medalist at the World Championships in Berlin, Germany. Results:
- 1995 Super Heavyweight Gold Medalist at the Military World Championships in Ariccia, Italy. Results:
Amateur Record: 210 Fights, 195 Wins (80 inside the distance)
- Brother of fellow boxer Wladimir Klitschko
- Son of an Ukrainian Army General
- Before his boxing career, Klitschko was a kickboxing world champion
- Earned a Ph.D. in Sports Science
- Vitali Klitschko Retires From Boxing Following Surgery
- Klitschko Concedes Defeat In Kiev Mayoral Race
| WBO Heavyweight Champion
1999 Jun 26 – 2000 Apr 1
| WBC Heavyweight Champion
2004 Apr 24 – 2005 Nov 9