Difference between revisions of "Wladimir Klitschko vs. Ruslan Chagaev"
Revision as of 12:24, 20 June 2009
2009-06-20 : Wladimir Klitschko 240¼ lbs beat Ruslan Chagaev 224¾ lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Veltins Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
- Referee: Eddie Cotton
- Judge: Noel Monnet 89-81
- Judge: Don Trella 90-79
- Judge: Manfred Kuechler 88-82
- Klitschko was originally scheduled to fight David Haye, but Haye had to pull out due to an injury.
- Chagaev was originally scheduled to fight Nikolay Valuev on May 30th in Helsinki, but the fight did not take place. The Finnish sanctioning body did not allow Chagaev to fight against Valuev, because Chagaev has Hepatitis-B. Klitschko agreed to fight against Chagaev, claiming that he is vaccinated against Hepatitis-B.
- Valuev turned down an offer to fight against Wladimir Klitschko.
- It is yet not known, whether the IBF, WBO and IBO will sanction the fight. The vacant "The Ring Magazine"-title may be on the line.
Klitschko came out working almost exclusively with his jab and mixed in a few straight hands sparingly. A straight right preceded by a jab caught Chagaev on the chin and put him down at 1:55 of Round 2. He was up quickly and received a mandatory eight-count.