Wladimir Klitschko vs. Ruslan Chagaev
2009-06-20 : Wladimir Klitschko 240¼ lbs beat Ruslan Chagaev 224¾ lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Veltins Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
- Referee: Eddie Cotton
- Judge: Noel Monnet
- Judge: Don Trella
- Judge: Manfred Kuechler
- International Boxing Federation Heavyweight Title (7th defense by Klitschko)
- World Boxing Organization Heavyweight Title (3rd defense by Klitschko)
- International Boxing Organization Heavyweight Title (7th defense of Klitschko)
- The Ring Magazine Heavyweight Title (vacant)
- Klitschko was originally scheduled to fight David Haye, but Haye had to pull out due to an injury.
- Chagaev was originally scheduled to fight Nikolay Valuev on May 30th in Helsinki, but the fight did not take place. The Finnish sanctioning body did not allow Chagaev to fight against Valuev, because Chagaev has Hepatitis-B. Klitschko agreed to fight against Chagaev, claiming that he is vaccinated against Hepatitis-B.
- Valuev turned down an offer to fight against Wladimir Klitschko.
Klitschko came out working almost exclusively with his jab and mixed in a few straight hands sparingly. A straight right preceded by a jab caught Chagaev on the chin and put him down at 1:55 of Round 2. He was up quickly and received a mandatory eight-count. Following Round 4, Chagaev was visibly bleeding from the mouth, an obvious result of Wladimir's persistent 1-2 combinations that continually snapped back the head of Chagaev. In Round 5, action was temporarily paused as Klitschko was allowed time to recover from a punch that strayed low. Klitschko was warned in Round 6 for pushing down on the head of Chagaev.