Wladimir Klitschko vs. Ruslan Chagaev
2009-06-20 : Wladimir Klitschko 240¼ lbs beat Ruslan Chagaev 224¾ lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Veltins Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
- Referee: Eddie Cotton
- Judge: Noel Monnet
- Judge: Don Trella
- Judge: Manfred Kuechler
- International Boxing Federation Heavyweight Title (7th defense by Klitschko)
- World Boxing Organization Heavyweight Title (3rd defense by Klitschko)
- International Boxing Organization Heavyweight Title (7th defense of Klitschko)
- The Ring Magazine Heavyweight Title (vacant)
- Weights: Klitschko 240.25 lbs / 109 kg, Chagaev 224.74 lbs / 102 kg
- Aired on: RTL Television, ESPN Classic
- Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Wladimir Klitschko 52-3 (46 KOs) vs. Ruslan Chagaev 25-0-1 (17 KOs)
- Klitschko entered as the # 1 heavyweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Chagaev, a 5-1 underdog, entered as the # 3 heavyweight by the same publication.
- Klitschko was originally scheduled to fight David Haye, but Haye had to pull out due to an injury.
- Chagaev was originally scheduled to fight Nikolay Valuev on May 30th in Helsinki, but the fight did not take place. The Finnish sanctioning body did not allow Chagaev to fight against Valuev, because Chagaev has Hepatitis-B. Klitschko agreed to fight against Chagaev, claiming that he is vaccinated against Hepatitis-B.
- Valuev turned down an offer to fight against Wladimir Klitschko.
Klitschko came out working almost exclusively with his jab and mixed in a few straight hands sparingly. A straight right preceded by a jab caught Chagaev on the chin and put him down at 1:55 of Round 2. He was up quickly and received a mandatory eight-count. Following Round 4, Chagaev was visibly bleeding from the mouth, an obvious result of Wladimir's persistent 1-2 combinations that continually snapped back the head of Chagaev. In Round 5, action was temporarily paused as Klitschko was allowed time to recover from a punch that strayed low. Klitschko was warned in Round 6 for pushing down on the head of Chagaev. In Round 7, Chagaev developed a cut on his left eyebrow. Following the 7th Round bell, Chagaev threw a left hook that caught Klischko and was likely the most effective punch of the fight for Chagaev. The cut became increasingly a problem for Chagaev in the 8th Round as it opened up and covered most of the left side of Chagaev's face in blood.
Klitschko controlled the action from the opening bell as he was able to use movement to keep Chagaev at the end of his straight punches. In fact, Klitschko rarely threw anything other than a jab or a straight right. Chagaev was simply unable to get inside and mounted very little in effective offense.
W. Klitschko vs. Rahman
| IBF Heavyweight Title Fight
W. Klitschko vs. Rahman
| WBO Heavyweight Title Fight