Young Corbett III
Name: Young Corbett III
Birth Name: Raffaele Capabianca Giordano
Birthplace: Potenza, Basilicata, Italy
Died: 1993-07-15 (Age:88)
Hometown: Fresno, California, USA
Height: 5′ 7½″ / 171cm
Boxing Record: click
Managers: Larry White, Ralph Manfredo
- Cousin to fellow boxer Al Manfredo
- Born Rafelle Capabianca Giordano on May 27, 1905, near Naples, Italy. Known as "Ralph" to his friends. He and his family came to the United States shortly thereafter, settling in Pittsburgh and moving to Fresno in 1909. He learned to box while selling newspapers on a Fresno street corner. Giordano became Young Corbett III when the ring announcer at his first bout didn't like the sound of "Ralph Giordano."
- He was a Fresno, California-area raisin grower during his boxing days (and perhaps afterward as well). In September 1933 he became the physical instructor for the California Highway Patrol (550 patrolmen).
- He was also recognized as World Middleweight Champion in California following his victory over Fred Apostoli in a bout in San Francisco over the Middleweight limit in 1938. His recognition as champion ended when Apostoli stopped him in a rematch.
- His great-grandson Matt Giordano is an American football safety who played at the University of California, Berkeley, and currently plays for the NFL's Indianapolis Colts.