Name: Yuriorkis Gamboa
Alias: El Ciclon de Guantánamo
Birth Name: Yuriorkis Gamboa Toledano
Born: 1981-12-23 (Age:34)
Birthplace: Guantanamo, Cuba
Hometown: Miami, Florida, USA
Height: 5′ 5½″ / 166cm
Reach: 65″ / 165cm
Boxing Record: click
Trainer: Ismael Salas
Manager: Ahmet Oener
Promoters: ARENA Box-Promotion, Top Rank
Yuriorkis Gamboa Toledano is a Cuban boxer who defected from the Cuban national team in December 2006, while in Venezuela; along with Yan Barthelemy and Odlanier Solis. After escaping to Colombia, and arriving in Miami, all three boxers signed professional promotional contracts with German-based ARENA Box-Promotion.
He was the subject of the "New Face" article in the May 2008 issue of The Ring magazine. He currently owns a 19-0 (15) record and has been ruled down five times in his career (three flash knockdowns against Roger Gonzalez, Darling Jimenez and Adailton De Jesus, one knockdown courtesy of an elbow by Marcos Ramirez and a slip that was ruled as a knockdown against Orlando Salido).
- Had 250 amateur bouts.
2001 Silver Medalist at the Goodwill Games in Brisbane, Australia as a light flyweight:
2003 Represented Cuba at the World Championships in Bangkok, Thailand as a flyweight:
- Defeated Bogdan Dobrescu (Romania) RSC-OS 3
- Defeated Lee Sung-Won (South Korea) 40-20
- Lost to Somjit Jongjohor (Thailand) 22-23
2003 Won the Gold Medal at the Pan American Games in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic at Flyweight:
- Defeated Carlos Valcarcel (Puerto Rico) 26-13
- Defeated German Torres (Ecuador) RSC-OS 2
- Defeated Raul Hirales (Mexico) 31-18
- Defeated Juan Carlos Payano (Dominican Republic) 28-22
2004 Won the Gold Medal at the 2004 Olympics at Flyweight:
- Round of 32 - Defeated Igor Samoilenko of Moldavia - PTS (46-33)
- Round of 16 - Defeated Somjit Jongjohor of Thailand - PTS (26-21)
- Quarterfinals - Defeated Georgy Balakshin of Russia - PTS (26-18)
- Semifinals - Defeated Rustamhodza Rahimov of Germany - PTS (20-11)
- Gold Medal Match - Defeated Jerome Thomas of France - PTS (38-23)
2005 Silver Medalist at the World Cup in Moscow, Russia as a featherweight
- Defeated Thongtheang Klongchan (Thailand) RSC-OS (28-8)
- Defeated Viorel Simion (Romania) RSC-OS 3
- Defeated Galib Jafarov (Kazakhstan) 48-30
- Lost to Alexey Tishchenko (Russia) 27-45
2005 Won the Bronze Medal at the World Championships in Mianyang, China as a featherweight
- Defeated Homayoun (Afghanistan) RSC-OS 1
- Defeated Chung Chun-An (Chinese Taipei/Taiwan) RSC-OS 3
- Defeated Kim Song-Guk (North Korea) RSC-OS 3
- Lost to Alexey Shaydulin (Bulgaria) RSC 2 -injury
2006 Bronze Medalist at the Central American & Caribbean Games in Cartagena, Colombia as a featherweight
2006 Won the Gold Medal at the World Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan as a featherweight
- Defeated Maksat Ospanov (Kazakhstan) 37-13
- Defeated Luis Del Valle (United States) RSC-OS 1
- Defeated Shahlar Nagiyev (Azerbaijan) RSC-OS 2
- Defeated Albert Selimov (Russia) Retirement 3
Cuban National Amateur Championships
- 1999 Light flyweight participant, losing to Kadel Luis Martinez 7-3 in first round
- 2000 Light flyweight champion, defeating Yan Barthelemy 19-9 in final
- 2001 silver medalist at Light flyweight, losing in final to Yan Barthelemy 7-2
- 2002 silver medalist at Light flyweight, losing in final to Yan Barthelemy 13-5
- 2003 flyweight champion, defeating Yosvani Acosta 18-5 in final
- 2004 flyweight champion, defeating Kadel Luis Martinez 24-20 in final
- 2005 withdrew in opening round match of flyweight competition
- 2006 featherweight champion, defeating Luis Franco 27-10 in final
- April 27 2007 - Defeated Alexan Manvelyan 6-1 (4 KOs) by unanimous decision in his professional debut.
- Oct. 30 2007 - Made his U.S. debut by defeating Adailton De Jesus 19-2 (17 KOs) via a 6th Round TKO.
- Feb. 22 2008 - Scored a 1st Round KO victory over Johnnie Edwards 13-1-1 (7 KOs) on ESPN Friday Night Fights to claim the vacant NABF Super Featherweight Title.
- May 17 2008 - Claimed the vacant WBC International Super Featherweight Title via a unanimous decision victory over Darling Jimenez 23-2-2 (14 KOs).
- July 18 2008 - Won his 10th consecutive bout by knocking out Al Seeger 27-3 (21 KOs) in the 1st Round to win the vacant WBO NABO Featherweight Title.
- Oct 4 2008 - Scored a 2nd Round knockout victory over then undefeated Marcos Ramirez 25-0 (16 KOs) on HBO Boxing After Dark.
- Oct 10 2009 - Defeated Whyber Garcia to defend the WBA Featherweight title for the first time.
- Sep 11 2010 - Beat Orlando Salido by UD to unify the WBA and IBF Featherweight titles. Becomes the first Cuban IBF world champion since the organizations inception in 1983.
Upgraded to Super Champion
| WBA Featherweight Champion
2009 – 2010 Sep 11
Upgraded to Super Champion
2010 Sep 11 – 2011 Jun 11
Jonathan Victor Barros
| IBF Featherweight Champion
2010 Sep 11 – 2011 Mar 26