Yuriorkis Gamboa vs. Jorge Solis
2011-03-26 : Yuriorkis Gamboa 126 lbs beat Jorge Solis 125½ lbs by TKO at 1:31 in round 4 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: David Fields
- Judge: Lynne Carter
- Judge: Ron McNair
- Judge: Joseph Pasquale
- World Boxing Association World Featherweight Title (Gamboa defending)
- International Boxing Federation Featherweight Title (Vacant) This title was only on the line for Solis as Gamboa failed to appear for the mandatory day of the fight weigh in.
- Yuriorkis Gamboa 19-0 (15 KOs) vs. Jorge Solis 40-2-2 (29 KOs)
- Gamboa entered as the # 2 featherweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Solis, a 6.5/1 betting underdog , was unranked by the same publication.
In the opening Round, Solis looked to work at a distance behind the jab and straight right hands. Gamboa was tentative but sought to move in quickly and throw cobminations. Gamboa dominated the second round dropping Solis early from a left hook that sent him back in the ropes. Solis went down again in at 1:40 in Round 2 from a right hand that landed to the top or back of Solis's head. Gamboa was warned in Round 2 for punching to the back of Solis's head and for a low blow. Gamboa was warned again in Round 3 for a low blow. A right hand capped with a big left hand near the end of the 3rd, sent Solis down for the third time. He was able to make it to his feet and stumbled back to his corner as the round ended. At:50 of Round 4, s sharp left, right combo from Gamboa landed flush on Solis's chin and sent him down in the center of the ring. He remained on one knee before rising at the count of eight. Gamboa caught Solis against the ropes and a barrage sent him down for the fifth and final time in the bout. At that the referee stepped in and waved an end to the bout.