Search found 11 matches

by TarkanX
11 Oct 2012, 14:08
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Weights of the Heavyweight Champions
Replies: 26
Views: 8311

Re: Weights of the Heavyweight Champions

I have a question, because too much weight is not a good thing, what would be the ideal weight for these fighters: Lennox Lewis: 6'5" 245 lbs. Riddick Bowe: 6'5" 235 lbs. Wladimir Klitschko: 6'6" 245 lbs. Vitali Klitschko: 6'8" 245 lbs. Buddy Baer: 6'7" 250 lbs. Mike Tyson: ...
by TarkanX
21 Feb 2012, 01:45
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Did the move to 12 rounds coincide with HWs getting heavier?
Replies: 12
Views: 771

Did the move to 12 rounds coincide with HWs getting heavier?

Was it just a trend that heavyweights were getting bigger/heavier (which coincided with the move to 12 rounds in the early 80s), or did the move to 12 rounds force HWs to get bigger (giving up conditioning for extra strength)?
by TarkanX
20 Sep 2011, 23:35
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Heavyweight Blog
Replies: 5
Views: 297

Re: Heavyweight Blog

I should have made myself a little more clearer. While I don't think the Klits should be all time greats, I think they are underrated, and would give some of the best boxers problems, due to their size (Patterson, Norton, for example). Some of the data that he put in, I very much disagree with, espe...
by TarkanX
20 Sep 2011, 15:28
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Heavyweight Blog
Replies: 5
Views: 297

Heavyweight Blog

http://www.heavyweightblog.com/ I read a few of the articles today. Although I disagree with some of the things the person writes (claiming the Klits as the best HW boxers ever), he makes some decent points. Here are a few notable articles: http://www.heavyweightblog.com/126/heavyweight-division-ove...
by TarkanX
24 Oct 2010, 01:31
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Boxers weighing 210+ pounds with great conditioning
Replies: 8
Views: 329

Boxers weighing 210+ pounds with great conditioning

It is known that heavyweights aren't the best when it comes to endurance, especially the heavier ones, and while I know guys like Marciano, Frazier, Dempsey had great conditioning, they were at or below 205. The only fighters that I can think of in their prime that was above 210 with great condition...
by TarkanX
16 Sep 2010, 01:04
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko Vs. the ATGs (15 rounds)
Replies: 31
Views: 1519

Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko Vs. the ATGs (15 rounds)

How would a prime Vitali and Wladimir fair against the All Time Great Heavyweights, in their primes, in a 15 round setting? Vs: Evander Holyfield Ezzard Charles Floyd Patterson Gene Tunney George Foreman Harry Wills Ingemar Johannsen Jack Dempsey Jack Johnson James Jeffries Jerry Quarry Jersey Joe W...
by TarkanX
09 Aug 2010, 01:54
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Best Height and Weight for a Heavyweight
Replies: 14
Views: 5705

Re: Best Height and Weight for a Heavyweight

Adding on to the topic, I have another question. Does lesser rounds benefit heavier fighters? Does the decrease from 15 to 12 rounds have a correlation with the weight increase from the early 80s on up?
by TarkanX
08 Aug 2010, 22:25
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Best Height and Weight for a Heavyweight
Replies: 14
Views: 5705

Re: Best Height and Weight for a Heavyweight

I put the 250, because Lennox Lewis was at 245 in his prime, though he would probably be considered an oddity. There were some good boxers that were about 6'6", but as far as All-Time Greats, I don't think there were any that were that tall (Bowe and Lewis were about 6'5").
by TarkanX
08 Aug 2010, 21:58
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Best Height and Weight for a Heavyweight
Replies: 14
Views: 5705

Best Height and Weight for a Heavyweight

I think that somewhere between 5'10" - 6'6" and 185 - 250 is a good size (varying by body type), with the ideal range being between 6'1" - 6'4" and 200 - 225 pounds (which is where a majority of the all-time greats stand). Obviously, there are exceptions, but if you are at an a c...
by TarkanX
29 Jan 2008, 02:52
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: ESPN: Boxing is the most difficult sport.
Replies: 9
Views: 1108

ESPN: Boxing is the most difficult sport.

It's an article from 2004... some of you have probably seen it: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills The way they score each category seems good (for the most part), but one thing they don't take into account is the "weight" of each category... although this list is pretty dece...
by TarkanX
17 Sep 2007, 00:39
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Create your Fantasy HW Boxer (no pun intended)
Replies: 16
Views: 997

Create your Fantasy HW Boxer (no pun intended)

Basically what this is, is you get the chance to mold your "perfect" boxer, the way you would have always liked a boxer to be. I have laid out attributes for each boxer, and you chose a boxer in HW history that you would like a boxer to have such attribute. Now, this is where it gets fuzzy...