Search found 31 matches

by hoodsyeahright
17 Jun 2009, 23:50
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Would you have picked Clay?
Replies: 36
Views: 1193

Would you have picked Clay?

My old man swears that in 1964, he picked Cassius Clay to upset Sonny Liston. That being so, I think that was a minority opinion at the time. How would you have seen it at the time? If you are old enough, what was your opinion at that time? Gotta admit I would have picked Liston. Clay had barely squ...
by hoodsyeahright
09 Jun 2009, 21:32
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Jimmy Braddock and Max Schmeling
Replies: 22
Views: 1061

Jimmy Braddock and Max Schmeling

I have just read a book on the 2 fights between Louis and Schmeling. At one stage the author suggestes that when 1937 began, though Braddock was the champion, nobody really thought he could defeat Louis or Schmeling. With hindsight (Schmelings rematch with Louis) the issue to me isn't as clear cut a...
by hoodsyeahright
06 Nov 2008, 02:30
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Kevin Finnegan R.I.P.
Replies: 7
Views: 699

Re: Kevin Finnegan R.I.P.

He should have had at least 1 decision over Minter (2nd fight).
by hoodsyeahright
30 Oct 2008, 08:47
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Ezzard Charles vs Michael Moorer
Replies: 37
Views: 1468

Ezzard Charles vs Michael Moorer

I am having doubts over my conviction that Ezzard Charles is the best LH ever. Does anybody think that Michael Moorer could have beaten him in a LH match up?

Would be interested to hear what you think.
by hoodsyeahright
22 Oct 2008, 09:40
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Rocky Marciano: Could he have beaten anybody?
Replies: 32
Views: 4184

Re: Rocky Marciano: Could he have beaten anybody?

Going back to the original post, I cannot personally see Rocky defeating any of these fighters except Jack Dempsey.
by hoodsyeahright
30 Sep 2008, 01:43
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Evander Holyfield Vs Frank Bruno 1988
Replies: 4
Views: 769

Re: Evander Holyfield Vs Frank Bruno 1988

I pick Holyfield after a good battle. I think Holyfield would have easily won in 1996, but in 1988 it would be more interesting.

Holyfield, durable and strong, would nullify Bruno ultimately after a few bruising rounds.
by hoodsyeahright
27 Sep 2008, 19:51
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Ezzard Charles
Replies: 15
Views: 1006

Re: Ezzard Charles

I will research Tunney as a LH. I'm not much of a boxing historian am I?!! I've never had Tunney on my own personal ATG HW list, but as a LH he is obviously up there. Would have been interesting to see him against a pre Carpentier Battling Siki. For years I wanted to see Siki-Carpentier as I had rea...
by hoodsyeahright
27 Sep 2008, 09:45
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Ezzard Charles
Replies: 15
Views: 1006

Re: Ezzard Charles

Many would consider him to be, his record speaks for itself. Ignore his fights after his first Marciano loss, as he got to be some what ring worn and perhaps his illness was showing effect. He beat and fought some of the LHW divs best men, as well as facing and beating a top crop of HW's including ...
by hoodsyeahright
27 Sep 2008, 09:39
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Ezzard Charles
Replies: 15
Views: 1006

Re: Ezzard Charles

I have it as being this: Ezzard Charles Archie Moore Gene Tunney Michael Spinks Bob Foster :TU: I'm showing my ignorance here but I had no idea Gene Tunney fought at light-heavy, and I agree with your list. My new updated greatest lists in the 5 weights: Muhammad Ali Ezzard Charles Carlos Monzon Su...
by hoodsyeahright
26 Sep 2008, 20:29
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Ezzard Charles
Replies: 15
Views: 1006

Ezzard Charles

I've always picked Archie Moore as the best LH champ ever (with Michael Spinks and Bob Foster) following close behind. I've never properly appreciated the fact (until recently) that Ezzard Charles fought at light-heavy and beat Moore. He never fought for the light-heavy title, but is Ezzard Charles ...
by hoodsyeahright
05 Sep 2008, 18:23
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris
Replies: 36
Views: 2526

Re: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris

Ketchel is right up there. He'd beat Chuck and Bruce before brunch.
by hoodsyeahright
05 Sep 2008, 09:46
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris
Replies: 36
Views: 2526

Re: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris

How far would Chuck go if he fought an eliminator against Errol Christie for the right to challenge Mark Kaylor, with the winner of that matched with Tony Sibson?
by hoodsyeahright
05 Sep 2008, 07:23
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris
Replies: 36
Views: 2526

Re: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris

I go for Monzon, many greats in that division though.

Maybe match Chuck with Kevin Finnegan.
by hoodsyeahright
05 Sep 2008, 03:01
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris
Replies: 36
Views: 2526

Re: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris

Chuck could go the distance with Alan Minter.
by hoodsyeahright
05 Sep 2008, 02:06
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris
Replies: 36
Views: 2526

Re: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris

If he goes back in time too far, he may have to get into the ring with Stanley Ketchel...............
by hoodsyeahright
05 Sep 2008, 01:26
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris
Replies: 36
Views: 2526

Re: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris

He could go back in time to 1977, find Mr Monzon, get into the ring with him, and getted knocked out in 2 rounds.
by hoodsyeahright
05 Sep 2008, 00:16
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris
Replies: 36
Views: 2526

Re: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris

I suppose boxers also are more used to being hit and taking a belting. You can be well down the road in martial arts but still not be really used to getting a full hit in the head. And I suppose you could become a martial arts champion without necessarily knowing if you can take a real hit. Monzon t...
by hoodsyeahright
04 Sep 2008, 20:17
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris
Replies: 36
Views: 2526

Carlos Monzon vs Chuck Norris

Hello. As I've said before, I am new here and don't really know what has been discussed before, so apologies if this topic is a duplication. Both of these were world champions, one boxing the other karate, at middleweight. Arguably they are the greatest middleweight champions ever in their respectiv...
by hoodsyeahright
04 Sep 2008, 04:24
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Hesitant and nervous referees
Replies: 5
Views: 354

Re: Hesitant and nervous referees

Me again. I'm pretty new and sure this point has been discussed before. In the Dempsey-Tunney rematch, (after the long count incident), Dempsey briefly touches down and the ref immediately starts a count. Tunney wasn't in a neutral corner.

Has that ever been explained?
by hoodsyeahright
04 Sep 2008, 01:04
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Hesitant and nervous referees
Replies: 5
Views: 354

Re: Hesitant and nervous referees

I guess Jersey Joe officiating Ali-Liston II is an obvious choice. He should have made Ali go to a neutral corner and let it all carry on from there.
by hoodsyeahright
03 Sep 2008, 01:33
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Hesitant and nervous referees
Replies: 5
Views: 354

Hesitant and nervous referees

Just watched Norton vs Bobick 1977. Bobick is clearly counted out but the refereee decides (unfairly) to let him continue, and then just as quickly jumps in and stops it.

Any other ref stories spring to mind?
by hoodsyeahright
27 Aug 2008, 08:51
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Disastrous step ups into worldclass...K0 1
Replies: 30
Views: 1215

Re: Disastrous step ups into worldclass...K0 1

How about Norton vs Bobick 1977. Less than a minute I think.
by hoodsyeahright
18 Aug 2008, 19:12
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Fights You Wished Never Happened
Replies: 41
Views: 1445

Re: Fights You Wished Never Happened

Rocky 2, 4, and 5 were awful.

In Rocky 2, he can't have a rematch because of his bad eye, a point that then seems to be conveniently forgotten about.
by hoodsyeahright
18 Aug 2008, 06:26
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Rocky, Floyd and Sonny
Replies: 24
Views: 801

Re: Rocky, Floyd and Sonny

I'm looking forward to the time when Klitschko and the other champions are demolished by a new Tyson, Frazier, Foreman etc. Even the alphabet champs of the 80's had more going for them than this current lot. In my opinion it's been terrible for ages, but who remembers when the 2 Heavyweight Champion...
by hoodsyeahright
17 Aug 2008, 08:30
Forum: Boxing History
Topic: Fights You Wished Never Happened
Replies: 41
Views: 1445

Re: Fights You Wished Never Happened

Ali and Frazier post Manila

Tyson - Williams

Tyson - McBride

Bugner - Marvis Frazier, Tangsted, and particularly Welch.