Why Boxrec now hides DOB???

mike.tregubov
Lightweight

Why Boxrec now hides DOB???

Post by mike.tregubov »

It was much more convenient - to distinguish the fighter in case there is doubt. Now only the age is shown. Why?
John
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Why Boxrec now hides DOB???

Post by John »

mike.tregubov
Lightweight

Post by mike.tregubov »

IMO this is over-protection. ATP for instance does not hide birthdays of tennis players.
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

I hadn't noticed this and thats a shame as its very handy, trouble is GDPR is only a EU regulation and open to interpretation to some extent, the policy also defines peoples names as personal data, or information that identifies a person, therefore you could say the whole database is unlawful and sites like wikipedia too, but wikipedia still exists and that hasn't changed anything as far as I'm aware? Then there are exemptions, for example GDPR doesn't apply to someone who is dead.
John
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by John »

It's a minefield, IMO boxers are public figures which would offer some exemption but then again I guess journeymen are not.
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

John wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 09:56 It's a minefield, IMO boxers are public figures which would offer some exemption but then again I guess journeymen are not.
It is a minefield as you could argue journeyman are happy for their names to be on posters, written in magazines etc..so the sport kind of takes anonymity away by default. Was this something you were told to do?
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

Looking at the GDPR exemptions, wouldn't boxrec fall under the exemption given for statistics and research? I would also argue that in the UK, GDPR replaced the Data Protection Act which had been in place since 1998, presumably with no issues to this site?
Boxing Prospect
Super Welterweight

Post by Boxing Prospect »

Wouldn't GDPR essentially mean names, City of birth, residency and image also need to be removed? IF date of birth was...
delisa
Editor
Editor

Post by delisa »

Didn't England leave the EU where this law applies?
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

delisa wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 22:51 Didn't England leave the EU where this law applies?
Yes and according to the ICO (Information Commissioners Office) EU GDPR no longer applies to the UK post Brexit but it has been incorporated into UK GDPR

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/dp ... s/#doesthe

2. Does the GDPR still apply?

The EU GDPR is an EU Regulation and it no longer applies to the UK. If you operate inside the UK, you will need to comply with UK data protection law. The GDPR has been incorporated into UK data protection law as the UK GDPR – so in practice there is little change to the core data protection principles, rights and obligations found in the UK GDPR.

The EU GDPR may also still apply directly to you if you operate in Europe, offer goods or services to individuals in Europe, or monitor the behaviour of individuals in Europe.

The EU GDPR will still apply to any organisations in Europe who send you data, so you may need to help them decide how to transfer personal data to the UK in line with the UK GDPR, if the bridge ends without adequacy.

The ICO will not be the regulator for any European-specific activities caught by the EU version of the GDPR, although we hope to continue working closely with European supervisory authorities.

For more information on how this affects your data protection obligations and what you need to do, visit our Data Protection after the end of the bridge period hub.

3. What is the UK data protection law now the Brexit transition period has ended?

The Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018) continues to apply. The provisions of the EU GDPR were incorporated directly into UK law at the end of the transition period. The UK GDPR sits alongside the DPA 2018 with some technical amendments so that it works in a UK-only context.

JCS
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by JCS »

Having worked for a global company, you don't want to F with GDPR..
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

JCS wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 12:25 Having worked for a global company, you don't want to F with GDPR..
But there are exemptions otherwise no one could hold a database about anything. Also if you take GDPR literally on boxrec then you would need to mask people’s names, places of birth etc
JCS
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by JCS »

Controversial wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 14:21
JCS wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 12:25 Having worked for a global company, you don't want to F with GDPR..
But there are exemptions otherwise no one could hold a database about anything. Also if you take GDPR literally on boxrec then you would need to mask people’s names, places of birth etc
I'm just saying.. if it is between making a few folks upset that full birthdates are available, or not complying with GDPR.. I know which side I'm taking.

I have an MMA ranking site.. and I've never displayed full birthdates, only ages.
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

JCS wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 16:08
I'm just saying.. if it is between making a few folks upset that full birthdates are available, or not complying with GDPR.. I know which side I'm taking.

I have an MMA ranking site.. and I've never displayed full birthdates, only ages.
I hear you but GDPR also defines personal data as names or anything that can identify a person, a date of birth is just one of many things so you are still breaching GDPR even not showing dates of birth. Personally I don't think it's meant to be that strict.
oogiebe
Super Welterweight

Post by oogiebe »

Controversial wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 17:35
JCS wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 16:08

I hear you but GDPR also defines personal data as names or anything that can identify a person, a date of birth is just one of many things so you are still breaching GDPR even not showing dates of birth. Personally I don't think it's meant to be that strict.
It's all just silly.
scorpio83
Welterweight

Post by scorpio83 »

oogiebe wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 17:39
Controversial wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 17:35
JCS wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 16:08 I'm just saying.. if it is between making a few folks upset that full birthdates are available, or not complying with GDPR.. I know which side I'm taking.

It's all just silly.
And it's weird too.
turn2stone
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by turn2stone »

Glad I found the reason to this head scratcher here. I've hit the DOB brick wall several times and been pissed off each time. Seriously moronic, but now I know. Thanks.
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

Individuals who have their birth dates and places of birth freely available without permission are severely at risk of identity theft.
I had some problems with identity theft and the only place on the Internet with such information available was this site.
You never can be too careful these days.
JCS
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by JCS »

Although this is a bit strange.. I think it is second to the decision to not rank boxers in this Bridgerweight division?
John
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by John »

JCS wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 12:22 Although this is a bit strange.. I think it is second to the decision to not rank boxers in this Bridgerweight division?
How can we rank fighters in a division we don't have ?
JCS
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by JCS »

John wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 12:28
JCS wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 12:22 Although this is a bit strange.. I think it is second to the decision to not rank boxers in this Bridgerweight division?
How can we rank fighters in a division we don't have ?
Isn't this a "division" observed by only one sanctioning body?

The rest of the world considers these fighters Heavyweights.. why shouldn't BoxRec?
John
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by John »

How do you know that ? maybe the rest of the World considers these boxers Cruiserweights
JCS
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by JCS »

John wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 12:38 How do you know that ? maybe the rest of the World considers these boxers Cruiserweights
Then they'd be wrong.. Cruiserweight has a limit of 200lb. You can't weigh-in at 225 and be a Cruiserweight, but you can be a Heavyweight all day long. Seems pretty cut and dried.
John
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by John »

By that definition almost all the Cruiserweights should be rated at Heavyweight since they only actually weigh in @ 200 for title fights.
JCS
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by JCS »

John wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 12:43 By that definition almost all the Cruiserweights should be rated at Heavyweight since they only actually weigh in @ 200 for title fights.
That's being a bit difficult, but sure.. why not!