go on ricky burns!

ruga
Middleweight

Re: go on ricky burns!

Post by ruga »

THANK YOU RICKY!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU'RE TRUE CHAMPION AND WE'RE PROUD OF YOU! BYE FOR NOW
Jesus
Middleweight

Post by Jesus »

im disappointed that this barely got a mention in the papers today....in the notw it had a tiny little column in the middle page...10-15 years ago this would have got a double page spread!
sgtcecil
Light Heavyweight

Post by sgtcecil »

Jesus wrote:im disappointed that this barely got a mention in the papers today....in the notw it had a tiny little column in the middle page...10-15 years ago this would have got a double page spread!
Jim Blacks boxing articles for the sun/notw in scotland are constantly riddled with mistakes which pisses me off. For weeks he was saying limond was fighting morales for the WBU international title!
doctorboxing
Light Heavyweight

Post by doctorboxing »

One of the best live fight nights I have ever attended.

Simpson-Smith was a great build up but Burns-Martinez was something else! What a fight, both fighters took some incredible shots and I did not think either could keep that pace up for the full 12. Oh and what an unbelievable atmosphere there was.

I never gave Ricky a hope of making it the distance, never mind winning it and I have never been so happy to be proved wrong!
cutthecacklebullyup
Middleweight

Post by cutthecacklebullyup »

doctorboxing wrote:One of the best live fight nights I have ever attended.

Simpson-Smith was a great build up but Burns-Martinez was something else! What a fight, both fighters took some incredible shots and I did not think either could keep that pace up for the full 12. Oh and what an unbelievable atmosphere there was.

I never gave Ricky a hope of making it the distance, never mind winning it and I have never been so happy to be proved wrong!
Got to agree there i never gave burns a chance but what a display he defo proved me and all his doubters wrong .well done ricky!
jamesmcdonnell
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jamesmcdonnell »

Jesus, there's a surprise - I've not not had internet access at home for a while, thought I'd check the result of this today, and noticed this thread.

There's a result!
Mooresy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Mooresy »

I was away over weekend so didn't see the fight but was over the moon for him when i heard the result. I was at the Johanssen fight in Leeds and he showed a lot of balls to get through that night too. He had it tough coming through and he's obviously learnt from the set backs and it's made him a better fighter. I was sat near his mum that night and she was going through hell watching her son getting up off the floor so many times, so i said to her after that she should be very proud of his performance that night. Bet she's on cloud nine now. Well done Ricky Burns, proper fighter. :TU:
dondada
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by dondada »

Mooresy wrote:I was away over weekend so didn't see the fight but was over the moon for him when i heard the result. I was at the Johanssen fight in Leeds and he showed a lot of balls to get through that night too. He had it tough coming through and he's obviously learnt from the set backs and it's made him a better fighter. I was sat near his mum that night and she was going through hell watching her son getting up off the floor so many times, so i said to her after that she should be very proud of his performance that night. Bet she's on cloud nine now. Well done Ricky Burns, proper fighter. :TU:
Yeah, I reckon he definitely learned from his fight against Johanneson too.

I remember it very clearly because I lost a load of money on Burns :lol:

He seemed to decide that night he couldn't win because Carl J had a big advantage in power so decided to just hang on in there. Against Martinez he looked like he thought 'F*** it!' and got on the front foot and it served him well.

Great performance.
kevin mac
Light Heavyweight

Post by kevin mac »

contragulations rickster all the years of hard graft payed off ,you showed great skill and plenty of heart as always ,enjoy yourself for a bit then go make yourself a right good few quid !! :TU:
Smigga
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Smigga »

WayoftheCass wrote:Poor old John Simpson though. He never gets a break. He can't even get a close decision in his backyard. If he gets a rematch with Smith in Liverpool he'll have to knock him out or he has no chance.
Slight exaggeration?? Yes.
Simpson has to simply outwork, outbox and outfight Stephen, then he would get the decision. Fact is he never. In his own back yard with thousands of vocal, hostile Jocks behind him.

If the rematch happens anywhere in the world, Stephen will win by a far clearer margin. Stephen is only going to get better and no disrespect to Simpson, Ste boxed badly. He is first to admit so.

Congratulations to Ricky Burns. Brilliant performance, balls of steel and a really nice lad!
Last edited by Smigga on 06 Sep 2010, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
berealman
Light Heavyweight

Post by berealman »

absoultely over the moon for young Ricky, he's a credit to the sport
mickey1975
Super Middleweight

Post by mickey1975 »

Ian 'Mr' McNeilly wrote:
Mooresy wrote:I was away over weekend so didn't see the fight but was over the moon for him when i heard the result. I was at the Johanssen fight in Leeds and he showed a lot of balls to get through that night too. He had it tough coming through and he's obviously learnt from the set backs and it's made him a better fighter. I was sat near his mum that night and she was going through hell watching her son getting up off the floor so many times, so i said to her after that she should be very proud of his performance that night. Bet she's on cloud nine now. Well done Ricky Burns, proper fighter. :TU:
Yeah, I reckon he definitely learned from his fight against Johanneson too.

I remember it very clearly because I lost a load of money on Burns :lol:

He seemed to decide that night he couldn't win because Carl J had a big advantage in power so decided to just hang on in there. Against Martinez he looked like he thought 'F*** it!' and got on the front foot and it served him well.

Great performance.
What,the "very ropey" Carl J?
ThereByTheGrace
Middleweight

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

Wheres the Sick Bucket?

Lesson 1 - You are better being lucky than good in boxing.

Lesson 2 - Which he will learn v soon - What goes up must come down.
doctorboxing
Light Heavyweight

Post by doctorboxing »

ThereByTheGrace wrote:Wheres the Sick Bucket?

Lesson 1 - You are better being lucky than good in boxing.

Lesson 2 - Which he will learn v soon - What goes up must come down.
Typical bloody idiotic forum poster.

Ricky has achieved his boxing dream and did so in fantastic fashion. Nobody, including me, gave him a chance before the fight and despite being dumped on his arse in round 1 and having to take some great shots, he dominated the champion and ring no.2 super-feather in the world. Yet, still some arses come on and want to slate his achievements straight away.