burns next opponent

wrimc
Light Heavyweight

Re: burns next opponent

Post by wrimc »

Hopefully Burns will put a quick string of defences together and earn some money The scottish support will be good its their only world champ he can pack out kelvin hall all day long. A few defences possibly against a domestic fighter and some handpicked wbo ranked fighters then maybe Frank will cash in if a big name moves up from feather. The Simpson idea sounds like a clever one to me Simpson could be frozen out now he has lost his commonwealth belt and an all Scottish title fight will draw big numbers and would keep the title in the Warren stable.
boxerbob
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by boxerbob »

8 Vicente M. Rodriguez ARG

thats who id go for , not fought anybody of note and looks like a safe 1st defence for ricky , he certainly deserves a easy one after last nights excellent performance
bigped
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bigped »

gobbles wrote:Won't be Arthur. My initial thought was Paul Appleby
I spoke to paul after the fight, he said to me "Am ment to be getting him next cant wait" that would defo sell out be huge up here paul is a big ticket seller.
crusader
Cruiserweight

Post by crusader »

I would like to see Leva Kirakosyan get a title shot. Someone mentioned that Kirakosyan is strictly a Euro fighter, but after looking at the 130 pound rankings, it is apparent that there are not many fighters better than him. The division is very, very poor; it is easily one of the worst in boxing.
mickey1975
Cruiserweight

Post by mickey1975 »

crusader wrote:I would like to see Leva Kirakosyan get a title shot. Someone mentioned that Kirakosyan is strictly a Euro fighter, but after looking at the 130 pound rankings, it is apparent that there are not many fighters better than him. The division is very, very poor; it is easily one of the worst in boxing.
It was me.And he is Euro level.Gomez stopped him,along with a few others and the last guy who beat him,the bloke who boxed on a Hatton show,boxed his ears off and was a strictly average puncher.You just need to be able to move and take a punc to beat Kirakosyan,both things Burns excells at.He may go down,but he always gets up.Everyone thinks of Kirakosyan as some sort of monster because of the Lawton fight(which should never have happened) and Johannesson,who was made for him.
crusader
Cruiserweight

Post by crusader »

Looking at the 130 ranking, there are not too many guys who are significantly better than him though. He is somewhat known in the U.K., is highly ranked with the WBO, and he can punch. I don't think Burns is all of a sudden above fighting guys like that.

I would like to see Kirakosyan get a shot and I think it would be a good fight. Burns fought the fight of his life against Martinez, but I still think he will have problems against anyone who is top 20, and possibly lose to someone who was ranked much lower than Martinez.
DavidPayne
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by DavidPayne »

orbtastic wrote:Do you think FW (or anyone forthat matter) can sell a fight with any of those 3, or even Terdsak? It's a pretty big sell.

At least Kirakosen has fought over here before, he's got promotional ties with FW and is somewhat known, to fight fans. Not saying my mum would have any idea who he is, but she has no idea who Burns is either (or Martinez).
Yes, the nature of the evening ensures a Burns defence will be a decent seller against anyone. He converted plenty last night.

Nice guys can win too.

The Thai once fought Guzman, from memory in an eliminator, and I think went the distance.

He's walk-forward, with average pop, average everything. Not too big, and Burns deserves a striaght-forward defence before offering chances to anyone else of the Arthur, Mitchell, Johannson mix.....etc.
Autobarn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Autobarn »

crusader wrote:Looking at the 130 ranking, there are not too many guys who are significantly better than him though. He is somewhat known in the U.K., is highly ranked with the WBO, and he can punch. I don't think Burns is all of a sudden above fighting guys like that.

I would like to see Kirakosyan get a shot and I think it would be a good fight. Burns fought the fight of his life against Martinez, but I still think he will have problems against anyone who is top 20, and possibly lose to someone who was ranked much lower than Martinez.
i agree. he did great but i bet it'll be a bugger keeping him in the title and i bet we see some real lower level title fights. and i bet kirakosyan is a lot better than some of the opponents that might get brought in.
Autobarn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Autobarn »

DavidPayne wrote:
orbtastic wrote:Do you think FW (or anyone forthat matter) can sell a fight with any of those 3, or even Terdsak? It's a pretty big sell.

At least Kirakosen has fought over here before, he's got promotional ties with FW and is somewhat known, to fight fans. Not saying my mum would have any idea who he is, but she has no idea who Burns is either (or Martinez).
Yes, the nature of the evening ensures a Burns defence will be a decent seller against anyone. He converted plenty last night.

Nice guys can win too.

The Thai once fought Guzman, from memory in an eliminator, and I think went the distance.

He's walk-forward, with average pop, average everything. Not too big, and Burns deserves a striaght-forward defence before offering chances to anyone else of the Arthur, Mitchell, Johannson mix.....etc.
the thai is very tough and gave marquez a decent test. i think he'd be a bit of a handful.
DavidPayne
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by DavidPayne »

Was it Marquez, I thought it was Guzman but you're probably right.
GlobalBox
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by GlobalBox »

Please don't take Kim, he makes Martinez look silky but punches much harder than the Puerto Rican, I can 't do another 36 mins pacing around worrying that he will get caught.

:lol:
Autobarn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Autobarn »

http://www.BS.com/?m=show&id=30686

martinez interested in a rematch, but also willing to look elsewhere.
winkveron
Cruiserweight

Post by winkveron »

hurlock wrote:going nuts to see him stay on his feet running & slapping his way home. i dont know whats worst that guy's voice singing flower of scotland or burns's fighting style.
i prefer simpson ten fold.
What fight were you watching? He must slap hard if he wobbled Martinez a few times, a man who has never hit the deck amateur or pro.
billy nelson
Light Heavyweight

Post by billy nelson »

wrimc wrote:Hopefully Burns will put a quick string of defences together and earn some money The scottish support will be good its their only world champ he can pack out kelvin hall all day long. A few defences possibly against a domestic fighter and some handpicked wbo ranked fighters then maybe Frank will cash in if a big name moves up from feather. The Simpson idea sounds like a clever one to me Simpson could be frozen out now he has lost his commonwealth belt and an all Scottish title fight will draw big numbers and would keep the title in the Warren stable.
No way will it be John Simpson both are very close pals.If john doesn't get a rematch id like to see him go down to Super bantam weight.Alex Arthur will never make 130lbs again and imo paul isn't ready just yet
DavidPayne
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by DavidPayne »

hurlock wrote:going nuts to see him stay on his feet running & slapping his way home. i dont know whats worst that guy's voice singing flower of scotland or burns's fighting style.
Jeez. :roll:
doctorboxing
Cruiserweight

Post by doctorboxing »

billy nelson wrote: No way will it be John Simpson both are very close pals.If john doesn't get a rematch id like to see him go down to Super bantam weight.Alex Arthur will never make 130lbs again and imo paul isn't ready just yet
I hope John gets a re-match, he certainly deserves one as it was a very close fight. I think Smith was the better boxer but Simpson worked harder and I thought just nicked it. Appleby needs to be thinking about British and commonwealth within 2-3 fights and forget all about world titles just now. He still has the habit of using his face as the first line of defence and he would have been stopped by Burns or Martinez last night.

Could Kev Mitchell or Gavin Rees be tempted down to Super-feather for a shot at Ricky? On Saturdays display, Ricky should fear no-one at the weight - he showed he can take some huge shots and looked to hit a lot harder than his KO record suggests and his speed was phenomenal at times, especially when he was out-jabbing Rocky.
forcefraser
Cruiserweight

Post by forcefraser »

Kevin Mitchell would be my pick.
punchers chance
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by punchers chance »

I'd like to see Kirakosyan v Burns.
LK is 36 now and I think Ricky can do a good job and retain his title and it should be an entertaining fight too.
Alba
Light Heavyweight

Post by Alba »

why,oh why are people saying it will be alex arthur ?is it because there both Scottish .

Arthur cant make super featherweight,something he has admitted before and has been well documented .So can we all please put this to bed!
sgtcecil
Cruiserweight

Post by sgtcecil »

Alba wrote:why,oh why are people saying it will be alex arthur ?is it because there both Scottish .

Arthur cant make super featherweight,something he has admitted before and has been well documented .So can we all please put this to bed!
Agreed!

Scottish media seem to be bigging up arthur as a potential opponent. As i said earlier in the thread, i think arthur will be doing well to get to lightweight!
No disrespect to any of the domestic fighters mentioned but none of them are currently ranked and i'd like to see someone currently ranked by the organisation as a next defence although im sure the likes of cook could be ranked pretty quickly when they are updated!
HomeOfBritishBoxing
Cruiserweight

Post by HomeOfBritishBoxing »

what an idiot.
boxerbob
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by boxerbob »

his 1st defence will be an easy one , especially after that fight , he wont fight someone british either , the argentinian fighter i named earlier will be the type of fighter warren and burns will choose
Autobarn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Autobarn »

on BS it also says about arthur being a possible opponent.

i thought arthur doctor said he can only do light welter?

we saw how half arsed arthur was vs nicky cook in their friendly fight at 130.

so will burns just be fighting scottish fighters & wazza fighters? diuerretics or weight draining for arthur, limond, mitchell, (for the ones that need 'em) etc?
ThereByTheGrace
Super Middleweight

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

Alex is still the best fighter in Scotland for sure - he has the pedigree and has fought consistently at a high level for 10 + years.

Burns is a flash in the pan at the moment and still has a lot to prove.

It won't be anybody decent for the first defence anywoo
@matt___s
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by @matt___s »

ThereByTheGrace wrote:Alex is still the best fighter in Scotland for sure - he has the pedigree and has fought consistently at a high level for 10 + years.
He's only been boxing for ten years....