burns next opponent

ThereByTheGrace
Middleweight

Re: burns next opponent

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

[/quote]

He's only been boxing for ten years....[/quote]

Naw Alex was a top top amateur boxer as well - he's been a pro for 10 years yeh but he's still the best fighter in Scotland.
@matt___s
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by @matt___s »

ThereByTheGrace wrote:
He's only been boxing for ten years....[/quote]

Naw Alex was a top top amateur boxer as well - he's been a pro for 10 years yeh but he's still the best fighter in Scotland.[/quote]

time he reconfirmed it then because it isnt posts on a forum that prove that but having your hand raised
Autobarn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Autobarn »

ThereByTheGrace wrote:Alex is still the best fighter in Scotland for sure - he has the pedigree and has fought consistently at a high level for 10 + years.

Burns is a flash in the pan at the moment and still has a lot to prove.

It won't be anybody decent for the first defence anywoo
he was a very good european champion but was desperately disapppointing in his "world title reign" - the title was given to him, then he seemed to allow it to slip away in that friendly battle with cook, a guy that was then demolished by one roman martinez.

arthur has loads of good wins below world level, such as limond and burns. but he wasn't up to much as world champ, whereas burns just won a hard fought battle vs a good puncher for the same title. i don't think burns is all of a sudden going to be magnificent every fight - he basically delivered at the right time, in the right place. if he was that good he would have been that good before this. but arthur's world level promises now look empty.

does anyone need the headache of this fight, given that arthur's claimed 140 is his only safe fighting weight - does burns avenging a weight drained shell mean bugger all? do ppl need to fret about whether arthur can even make the weight? does burns need arthur, does he care about "avenging" arthur, given how far ahead of AA he currently is?
billy nelson
Middleweight

Post by billy nelson »

ThereByTheGrace wrote:Alex is still the best fighter in Scotland for sure - he has the pedigree and has fought consistently at a high level for 10 + years.

Don't talk pish mate,ricky burns could step up to lightweight and beat AAA tomorrow.Alex is a great fighter but at present Rickys went way past him
doctorboxing
Light Heavyweight

Post by doctorboxing »

As much as I like Alex, I think he should have retired after his length lay off. Did you see his fight on Sat? He looked really poor and struggled throughout. However on his day, he will give anyone a great fight at domestic level but I can't see him going much further.

Ricky would be streets ahead of him at the moment at super-feather, which Arthur cant make anymore. IF Arthur looks decent at lightweight and Ricky moves up in the future, it may be an interesting proposition.
lurkyshaka
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by lurkyshaka »

I would like to see Burns get to make a defense, but i don't want to see some British level fighter get a world title shot just because he's British. That'd just make a mockery of the term world championship.
Autobarn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Autobarn »

i think this is where someone steps in and says, "That's boxing."
Dioufy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Dioufy »

Get ready for Burns vs. Foster jr., lads.
mickey1975
Super Middleweight

Post by mickey1975 »

Dioufy wrote:Get ready for Burns vs. Foster jr., lads.
Highly unlikely since Foster jr left FW for Hatton
Dioufy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Dioufy »

mickey1975 wrote:
Dioufy wrote:Get ready for Burns vs. Foster jr., lads.
Highly unlikely since Foster jr left FW for Hatton
I didn't know that. Thanks for the update.
Autobarn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Autobarn »

i just hope for more good fights like the last one.
iwz678
Light Heavyweight

Post by iwz678 »

it will be one of those from 8-15 in the rankings or the winner of Kirkaosyan v Foster Jr because the European title seems to get people big fights at the moment.
billy nelson
Middleweight

Post by billy nelson »

Arthurs said he will never make the weight and Pauls going back down to featherweight,paul needed a ranking anyway.Paul would be a good fight in a year with only one winner BURNS STOPPAGE!
Autobarn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Autobarn »

paul who?
Hagler2002
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Hagler2002 »

Get Martin Lindsay in with him.
doctorboxing
Light Heavyweight

Post by doctorboxing »

Autobarn wrote:paul who?
Appleby I am assuming.
Autobarn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Autobarn »

anyone think that if khan hadnae left FW, that this fight would have happened?

great fight, BTW. burns' right hand is very wide but his left hooks were excellent. thankfully he didn't keep going down when hurt as it would have killed him on the cards. tough, gritty performance. world champion in maybe boxing's worst division, dinnae nae if burns will even boss the domestic fighters (someone with sharp technique who can apply pressure, for instance) but i hope he can be in more fights like this one v martinez.
billy nelson
Middleweight

Post by billy nelson »

Autobarn wrote:anyone think that if khan hadnae left FW, that this fight would have happened?

great fight, BTW. burns' right hand is very wide but his left hooks were excellent. thankfully he didn't keep going down when hurt as it would have killed him on the cards. tough, gritty performance. world champion in maybe boxing's worst division, dinnae nae if burns will even boss the domestic fighters (someone with sharp technique who can apply pressure, for instance) but i hope he can be in more fights like this one v martinez.
Mate Ricky is far better than any of the domestic fighters just now,you mention sharp techniqual skills? Please watch the fight with martinez again and watch the pressure that was put on Burns by a puncher and a half and if you know anything about boxing you will post an apology. :witzend:
Autobarn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Autobarn »

billy nelson wrote:
Autobarn wrote:anyone think that if khan hadnae left FW, that this fight would have happened?

Mate Ricky is far better than any of the domestic fighters just now,you mention sharp techniqual skills? Please watch the fight with martinez again and watch the pressure that was put on Burns by a puncher and a half and if you know anything about boxing you will post an apology. :witzend:
not criticising burns' technique. i was thinking that martinez's technique was very wide. strong, powerful, but all over the place. no doubt burns' boxing had something to do with that, but also martinez is not a great technical fighter. i wondered if someone who hit shorter, as johanesson did for example, would give burns more trouble. or nicky cook, if he has anything left. different styles, different fights.

like i say, great performance, brilliant start to the boxing season, one of the year's best fights and i never knew burns could do that, after seeing him well beaten by johanesson. i don't know if he'll be champ for long, or if that was just one memorable night.

from what i saw of the martinez fight, burns is way tougher and grittier than arthur, cook, mitchell. i've never remotely been a fan burns. i found burns' clinching of an old, already stopped michael gomez horrid to watch - but the same guy can fight off roman martinez. very surprising. now i'm starting to take notice - and i'm looking to find out whether he will look a level above some of the good british challengers out there (if they fight).

for all i know, burns can beat the rough edged, powerhouses (martinez), but might struggle more with a really good technician or someone who hits with really good technique.
Last edited by Autobarn on 19 Sep 2010, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
GAV
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by GAV »

I hope that his next opponent is not a domestic one, because lets be honest, there is no one on the domestic scene who could live with him just now.

I've been a MASSIVE fan of Alex Arthur throughout his entire career, and I still am now, but he is a shell of the fighter he used to be. Paul Appleby is not ready for a fight at this level like Billy said, John Simpson won't happen because the two are great friends, training partners and last I heard John was thinking about giving super-bantam a shot.

For people to be questionining Burns' merit as a champion is ridiculous. Its as if everyone still thinks his win against Martinez was that "once in a lifetime" performance. He went in there against one of the top men in the division and beat him at his own game. I tend to think it was more a case of the big occasion bringing out the best in Ricky. He looked to be in the best shape of his life. I've never seen him look that strong and ripped at the weight. Really impressive shape he got in for the fight and that coupled with his ability makes him one of the top men in that division and an impossible task for anyone on the domestic scene.

p.s. FW get him promoted well and in the Braehead Arena, I miss the nights when Harrison had that place buzzing.
Autobarn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Autobarn »

ok, but i'm curious to find out: if martinez had been one of the most skilled boxers in the division - rather than one of the biggest punchers - would burns have done as well?

burns had enough toughness, fitness/strength and boxing ability to beat martinez. it will be interesting if his style adapts to other styles at the world level.

also, that was a very punishing fight. has it taken anything out of him (like ben dunne, obviously a more fragile fighter who won a title then got ripped apart 1st defense) or will it take him to a new level?

i'm glad that ppl are being optimistic. because burns' win is a great example that british boxers can step up. how many times have we heard that this or that fighter would get "found out" in world class? don't get me wrong, i appreciate what burns has done. can't help being sceptical, as i've never seen him pushed as a world class fighter before martinez came along.
jBacca
Light Heavyweight

Post by jBacca »

Autobarn wrote:ok, but i'm curious to find out: if martinez had been one of the most skilled boxers in the division - rather than one of the biggest punchers - would burns have done as well?

burns had enough toughness, fitness/strength and boxing ability to beat martinez. it will be interesting if his style adapts to other styles at the world level.

also, that was a very punishing fight. has it taken anything out of him (like ben dunne, obviously a more fragile fighter who won a title then got ripped apart 1st defense) or will it take him to a new level?

i'm glad that ppl are being optimistic. because burns' win is a great example that british boxers can step up. how many times have we heard that this or that fighter would get "found out" in world class? don't get me wrong, i appreciate what burns has done. can't help being sceptical, as i've never seen him pushed as a world class fighter before martinez came along.
I'm in complete agreement with you.

Fantastic, fantastic result for Burns, that's for certain, but I do believe we saw a Martinez who underestimated Ricky, and thus didn't perform as well as he could have. This, couped with the fact that Martinez isn't the most skillfull of boxers, ultimately led to his downfall, imo.

I would go as far as picking Martinez in a rematch.

With regards to other matchups, am not sure how Ricky would fair. My initial feeling is he'd be outclassed by a more technical operator, but the division isn't that strong.
billy nelson
Middleweight

Post by billy nelson »

jBacca wrote:
Autobarn wrote:ok, but i'm curious to find out: if martinez had been one of the most skilled boxers in the division - rather than one of the biggest punchers - would burns have done as well?

Fantastic, fantastic result for Burns, that's for certain, but I do believe we saw a Martinez who underestimated Ricky, and thus didn't perform as well as he could have. This, couped with the fact that Martinez isn't the most skillfull of boxers, ultimately led to his downfall, imo.

With regards to other matchups, am not sure how Ricky would fair. My initial feeling is he'd be outclassed by a more technical operator, but the division isn't that strong.
We SIMPLY CANT WIN WITH SOME PEOPLE.BURNS BEAT THE TOUGHEST GUY IN THE DIVISION AND NOW YOUR DOUBTING HIS TECHNICAL ABILITY.PLEASE BELEIVE ME WHEN I SAY BURNS IS TECHNICALY ONE OF THE BEST IN THE UK.THE SIGN OF A GREAT CHAMPION IS THERE ABILITY TO ADAPT TO STYLES AND BURNS CAN
DavidPayne
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by DavidPayne »

Billy, don't bite. Some people mistake dancing like Flavia Cacace and carrying your chin like Jimmy Hill as technique.
jBacca
Light Heavyweight

Post by jBacca »

billy nelson wrote:
jBacca wrote:

We SIMPLY CANT WIN WITH SOME PEOPLE.BURNS BEAT THE TOUGHEST GUY IN THE DIVISION AND NOW YOUR DOUBTING HIS TECHNICAL ABILITY.PLEASE BELEIVE ME WHEN I SAY BURNS IS TECHNICALY ONE OF THE BEST IN THE UK.THE SIGN OF A GREAT CHAMPION IS THERE ABILITY TO ADAPT TO STYLES AND BURNS CAN
I'm doubting his technical ability against the other top fighters in the division. I feel Burns could be outclassed against a classier operator than Martinez, who in turn I thought underestimated Burns.

I'm not taking anything away from Burns, he's achieved something fantastic, I just have doubts about whether he can have a reign as champ.