Lindsay v Simpson 27th November

DougieC30
Super Middleweight

Lindsay v Simpson 27th November

Post by DougieC30 »

Last month i told you John Simpson was moving down to SuperBantam Weight after his loss to Comenwealth Champ Stephen Smith, but after being offered a British Title fight against Martin Lindsay hes decided to stay at Featherweight for one last shot at his old title. This is what he had to say -

'I dont know where the venue will be yet but the date is settled 27th November. I was suppose to fight Lindsay a while back and i am pleased to get the chance'..
Lets hope this one goes ahead.. What you all reckon? :box:
jBacca
Light Heavyweight

Re: Lindsay v Simpson 27th November

Post by jBacca »

WAR.
leforge
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by leforge »

jBacca wrote:WAR.
:bag:It will be a cracker hopefully Lindsay is at home!
brian13
Light Heavyweight

Post by brian13 »

Excellant fight. This will no doubt be Lindsey's test.
Horse
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Horse »

DougieC30 wrote:Last month i told you John Simpson was moving down to SuperBantam Weight after his loss to Comenwealth Champ Stephen Smith, but after being offered a British Title fight against Martin Lindsay hes decided to stay at Featherweight for one last shot at his old title.
He is staying at featherweight if he wins, isn't he?
DougieC30
Super Middleweight

Post by DougieC30 »

Horse wrote:
DougieC30 wrote:Last month i told you John Simpson was moving down to SuperBantam Weight after his loss to Comenwealth Champ Stephen Smith, but after being offered a British Title fight against Martin Lindsay hes decided to stay at Featherweight for one last shot at his old title.
He is staying at featherweight if he wins, isn't he?
Ad imagine so Horse but wouldnt wana say so after saying he was going down to SB.. That was my bad, but it was in the papers, coming from the horses mouth... If John wins hel no doubt defend in a double title rematch with Smith?? sounds good anyway :bag: :bag:
bennie
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bennie »

Belfast’s Martin Lindsay defends his British featherweight title against former holder John Simpson on November 27.
Lindsay has failed to push on since he outscored Paul Appleby to win the title in April 2009, making one successful defence earlier this year against Jamie Arthur and outscoring a Belarussian over six rounds earlier this month. At 28, the wiry, clever, stiff-hitting Lindsay really needs to fight more to fulfil his potential and has managed just 17 contests - all wins - since turning pro in 2004. Barry McGuigan, with whom Lindsay has been compared, was out of the game by 28.
Simspon, 27, has been round the block more times than a stray dog and certainly knows to rattle unbeaten fighters like Lindsay – in fact, he never gives anyone an easy ride and looked a bit unlucky to lose his British title to Appleby on a decision in 2008, prior to Appleby dropping the belt to Lindsay. The battling Scot will feel he is still the champion and wins a Lonsdale Belt outright in victory so we can expect an all-out effort from the seasoned Simpson, who first won the title with an upset cuts win over Andy Morris in 2007 and hammered the Manchester stylist in a subsequent defence, along with southpaw Londoner Ryan Barrett.
Schooled by Billy Nelson, Simpson reminds me a little of the late Alan Rudkin as he adapts to the style of his opponent in the ring and has every confidence in his strength and fitness over the 12 championship rounds, and his ability at 21-7 (9). However, one of the men to beat him is Liverpool’s Derry Matthews, albeit closely, and Linsday went on to flatten Matthews in nine rounds.
It looks like the champion on a hard-earned decision.
Counter-puncher
Light Heavyweight

Post by Counter-puncher »

Lindsay wants to make sure he boxes behind the jab and doesn't get involed or it will be a long night
bigdaddy
Super Middleweight

Post by bigdaddy »

Where is this fight taking place???????
Deno1986
Super Middleweight

Post by Deno1986 »

bigdaddy wrote:Where is this fight taking place???????
Hopefully one of the Halls in Belfast and not some stupid leisure centre in England.
DougieC30
Super Middleweight

Post by DougieC30 »

I heard it was gonni be over in Belfast but thats not been agreed yet.. Hopefully Billy can come on and confirm all the details for us :TU:
southpaw90
Middleweight

Post by southpaw90 »

i dont understand how simpson is getting this shot. his last fight was an elimator for this title and he lost. yet he gets a shot. dnt get me wrong im a big simpson fan and thought he was very unlucky against smith, i still believe to win a belt from a champion you have to clearly beat him and didnt think smith did that but thts history. good luck to john in his fight and hope he wins but wot message is it sendin out about the sport if u lose an elimator and still get a shot at the title in ur nxt fight?
Horse
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Horse »

southpaw90 wrote:i dont understand how simpson is getting this shot. his last fight was an elimator for this title and he lost. yet he gets a shot. dnt get me wrong im a big simpson fan and thought he was very unlucky against smith, i still believe to win a belt from a champion you have to clearly beat him and didnt think smith did that but thts history. good luck to john in his fight and hope he wins but wot message is it sendin out about the sport if u lose an elimator and still get a shot at the title in ur nxt fight?
Smith is injured so can't fight Lindsay anytime soon. Simpson was the obvious choice to replace him as the mandatory challenger, so he is getting the chance instead.

I think it was a good decision and I think most people would agree with that.
HomeOfBritishBoxing
Light Heavyweight

Post by HomeOfBritishBoxing »

lindsay 116-112
stujones
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by stujones »

Incredibly interesting fight. Martin Lindsay has grown on my a lot since being a champion and is increasingly looking the part. However, when I think of Lindsay my first thought is always of him being made to look average until landing a bingo punch against Matthews. Matthews was giving him a lesson - he never gave Simpson one, and I don't think Simpson will fold quite as dramatically as Matthews did.

Having said that, Lindsay is a MUCH improved fighter since then, people talk about the improvements of Matthew Hatton - Lindsay for me is the most improved fighter in the last 2 years.

Tough to call - I will shade Lindsay on points based on styles.
Counter-puncher
Light Heavyweight

stu i take your point about Matthews being up on points- although i never particularly like to hear that point being made as a knock against a guy who won, being outboxed till he KTFO's his man, and its not like it was some last-minute hailmary desperation job either. Derry was clearly vulnerable at 126 notwithstanding any points leads. seem to recall he was ahead vs Lawton FWIW (not much)

anyways thats a poor rambling way to begin saying, i don't think Lindsay-Matthews and Lindsay-Simpson can give us any real comparison points. Lindsay is a tall guy who liks to jab, against derry he was just up against a taller guy with a longer jab.

so i am saying derry allegedly giving lindsay a lesson as opposed to him being ran very very close by Simpson, doesn't mean that much due to the style difference

with Simpson - Lindsay we are back to shorter vs taller fighter so the style contrast is there again.
derry
Middleweight

Post by derry »

Counter-puncher wrote:stu i take your point about Matthews being up on points- although i never particularly like to hear that point being made as a knock against a guy who won, being outboxed till he KTFO's his man, and its not like it was some last-minute hailmary desperation job either. Derry was clearly vulnerable at 126 notwithstanding any points leads. seem to recall he was ahead vs Lawton FWIW (not much)

anyways thats a poor rambling way to begin saying, i don't think Lindsay-Matthews and Lindsay-Simpson can give us any real comparison points. Lindsay is a tall guy who liks to jab, against derry he was just up against a taller guy with a longer jab.

so i am saying derry allegedly giving lindsay a lesson as opposed to him being ran very very close by Simpson, doesn't mean that much due to the style difference

with Simpson - Lindsay we are back to shorter vs taller fighter so the style contrast is there again.
this is goin to be a great fight am goin to pick john to win this one just think he has the more experiance and have people have said i was giving martin a boxing lesson till he caught me with me a cracking shot hats of to him for pulling it of , also good news for swifty to let him have more of a look at the main rivals at feather ,,,,, so roll on the fight and good luck to both lads
ThereByTheGrace
Middleweight

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

Lindsay will win - Simpson has lost 6 times now. Simpson has a good brawling style but it never seems to impress the judges although it might not even get that far this time.
Counter-puncher
Light Heavyweight

derry wrote:
Counter-puncher wrote:stu i take your point about Matthews being up on points- although i never particularly like to hear that point being made as a knock against a guy who won, being outboxed till he KTFO's his man, and its not like it was some last-minute hailmary desperation job either. Derry was clearly vulnerable at 126 notwithstanding any points leads. seem to recall he was ahead vs Lawton FWIW (not much)

this is goin to be a great fight am goin to pick john to win this one just think he has the more experiance and have people have said i was giving martin a boxing lesson till he caught me with me a cracking shot hats of to him for pulling it of , also good news for swifty to let him have more of a look at the main rivals at feather ,,,,, so roll on the fight and good luck to both lads
nice touch :TU:

and yes my money would be on Simpson too, just have a feeling he will make Lindsay fight his kind of fight