Benn v Eubank 20th anniversary project.

Wake up call
Light Heavyweight

Benn v Eubank 20th anniversary project.

Post by Wake up call »

Hi fellas

As some of you are aware I'm in my final year of my sports journalism degree and for one of my modules I am required to make what is called a "radio package". Basically it's a five minute audio documentary.

I'm thinking as it's 20 years since Benn v Eubank 1 on November 18 I'd like to do it on that. I'm going to try and get Barry Hearn and Steve Bunce on board but just wondered if anyone knows how I might go about contacting Eubank's old trainer Ronnie Davies or if any of you have any suggestions towards other interviewees. I'm not sure the likes of Ambrose Mendy and Peter DeFreitas are around much these days.
Bricks
Light Heavyweight

Re: Benn v Eubank 20th anniversary project.

Post by Bricks »

All those guys u mentioned are hard nosed who get paid for their time and wouldnt piiiss in your face for some school project unless a decent fee is involved
JamesH
Light Heavyweight

Post by JamesH »

I don't think thats fair, certainly not with Bunce anyway (unless he's changed significantly in the past year).

Good luck with the project.
Wake up call
Light Heavyweight

Post by Wake up call »

Thanks James

Clearly Mugabi doesn't have a clue. Boxing people are the most giving with their time and in speaking to them for the past three years I have never been asked (this includes several world champions) for money for interviews. I know Steve Bunce and we've chatted many times so to describe people the way Mugabi just did is both idiotic and disrepectful.
Wake up call
Light Heavyweight

Post by Wake up call »

mugabi wrote:All those guys u mentioned are hard nosed who get paid for their time and wouldnt piiiss in your face for some school project unless a decent fee is involved
Bunce has got back to me already about it. And for your information Mugabi it's not a school project and I am hoping the finished piece will be broadcast on radio somewhere.
JamesH
Light Heavyweight

Post by JamesH »

Wake up call wrote:Thanks James

Clearly Mugabi doesn't have a clue. Boxing people are the most giving with their time and in speaking to them for the past three years I have never been asked (this includes several world champions) for money for interviews. I know Steve Bunce and we've chatted many times so to describe people the way Mugabi just did is both idiotic and disrepectful.
I know what you mean mate, I find if you have access to them, you have access... not met many boxers who minded an interview, never mind charged for it!!

Let us know when its finished up, would be good to hear it.. like so many others that post here, that was the era that got me hooked.
Twinkle Toes
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Twinkle Toes »

How abut trying to contact Gary Newbon - I think he'd have some interesrting stuff to say about the Eubank and Benn fights.
chinny
Cruiserweight

Post by chinny »

King Geedorah wrote: Yep, put in loads of interview requests over time and only one person has tried to charge me for an interview.
Who, who? :D

Larry Holmes? I heard he doesn't do anything unless there is a dollar in it for him
FIGHTFANs
Super Middleweight

Post by FIGHTFANs »

chinny wrote:
King Geedorah wrote: Yep, put in loads of interview requests over time and only one person has tried to charge me for an interview.
Who, who? :D

Larry Holmes? I heard he doesn't do anything unless there is a dollar in it for him

:TU: :TU: :TU: :TU:
Terminator666
Cruiserweight

Post by Terminator666 »

I was at this fight- An old friend of mine made his pro debut as well. Not much of a view in row 12 though.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

Wake up call wrote:Hi fellas

As some of you are aware I'm in my final year of my sports journalism degree and for one of my modules I am required to make what is called a "radio package". Basically it's a five minute audio documentary.

I'm thinking as it's 20 years since Benn v Eubank 1 on November 18 I'd like to do it on that. I'm going to try and get Barry Hearn and Steve Bunce on board but just wondered if anyone knows how I might go about contacting Eubank's old trainer Ronnie Davies or if any of you have any suggestions towards other interviewees. I'm not sure the likes of Ambrose Mendy and Peter DeFreitas are around much these days.
Ring John Wichusen at Matchroom Sports he will sort things out for you if he can.
Wake up call
Light Heavyweight

Post by Wake up call »

Spud wrote:

Ring John Wichusen at Matchroom Sports he will sort things out for you if he can.
Yeah I've emailed him this afternoon. John's always been a top fella in regard to dealing fight creds etc so think he'll be a great help with this.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Pretty pissed with Mugabi's blind and idiotic scepticism though (can you believe he sent me a PM telling me to "get real"?).
Wake up call
Light Heavyweight

Post by Wake up call »

Twinkle Toes wrote:How abut trying to contact Gary Newbon - I think he'd have some interesrting stuff to say about the Eubank and Benn fights.
Good thinking. Cheers :TU:
ERIC GUY
Light Heavyweight

Post by ERIC GUY »

I filmed that show, and was there when Barry came running up to the music area and blasted the DJ it was right next to my position!!!, and I looked after Eubank that night, undressing him and putting him to bed........
McCannW14
Cruiserweight

Post by McCannW14 »

If you want to get hold of Barry Hearn email his pa - [email protected]

I have always found Barry and his staff helpful, professional and polite.
KW1
Light Heavyweight

Post by KW1 »

You should be able to contact Ronnie Davies via cheetahs gym in hove as thats where he trains his fighters
Wake up call
Light Heavyweight

Post by Wake up call »

Cheers fellas
Bricks
Light Heavyweight

Post by Bricks »

Wake up call wrote:
Spud wrote:

Yeah I've emailed him this afternoon. John's always been a top fella in regard to dealing fight creds etc so think he'll be a great help with this.

Pretty pissed with Mugabi's blind and idiotic scepticism though (can you believe he sent me a PM telling me to "get real"?).

Do you know something? You're a fuckingg idiot. I was going to let it lie but every post you've made here is a vindictive dig at me. Some of us have been inside the ropes and around the business in a capacity other than "idealistic student who wants to do a 5 minute presentation and thinks the sun shines out of every boxing celebrities harrsehole". Some of us have experienced both the great comaradeirie of boxing and also the bitter fruits of the dirty side of the business.
So just get on with your school project and let it lie between me and you. My view is based on the fact the best people in the boxing businesses are generally the boxers and fans themselves. The money men and so called spit bucket carriers and promoters I have little time for apart from allegedly and a few others.I should have been clearer that I wasnt having a dig at Bunce but I forget to say "almost" all the names you mentioned. So my bad on that one.It was Mendy I was mainly haveing a dig at. He's a prize cccunt
JamesH
Light Heavyweight

Post by JamesH »

mugabi wrote:Some of us have been inside the ropes and around the business in a capacity other than "idealistic student who wants to do a 5 minute presentation and thinks the sun shines out of every boxing celebrities harrsehole". Some of us have experienced both the great comaradeirie of boxing and also the bitter fruits of the dirty side of the business.
So just get on with your school project and let it lie between me and you. My view is based on the fact the best people in the boxing businesses are generally the boxers and fans themselves. The money men and so called spit bucket carriers and promoters I have little time for apart from allegedly and a few others.I should have been clearer that I wasnt having a dig at Bunce but I forget to say "almost" all the names you mentioned. So my bad on that one.It was Mendy I was mainly haveing a dig at. He's a prize cccunt
I would say Dave Coldwell and Spencer Fearon are two good examples, but they may be exempt from the generalisation about the business men in the game as they are obviously ex fighters. So how about Dean Powell, Frank Maloney, and Adam Booth? All approachable in my experience. There are more examples of those you can talk to then those you can't.

Rather than saying the sun shines out of anyones arse, I think the point being made is that most people in the sport are approachable. If Andrews other work is anything to go by, the 'school project' as you put it, will be well worth listening to.
dondada
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by dondada »

Both sides have their points. Most people are fine but, Mugabi's right, you do get the occasional sh1tbag. Fortunately, there aren't too many. If you're talking books, etc, rather than a one-off piece, it gets a bit trickier.

I remember one journo who was doing a Hillsborough tragedy retrospective piece. Imagine asking a fee for that? The only c*nt who did was Phil Neal. To his credit, the journo printed Neal's whining request word for word.
ThereByTheGrace
Middleweight

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

Good luck - sounds good and hopefully we can get a link on here once it's all complete!

All the best
Wake up call
Light Heavyweight

Post by Wake up call »

mugabi wrote:
Wake up call wrote:
Spud wrote: Ring John Wichusen at Matchroom Sports he will sort things out for you if he can.

Do you know something? You're a fuckingg idiot. I was going to let it lie but every post you've made here is a vindictive dig at me. Some of us have been inside the ropes and around the business in a capacity other than "idealistic student who wants to do a 5 minute presentation and thinks the sun shines out of every boxing celebrities harrsehole". Some of us have experienced both the great comaradeirie of boxing and also the bitter fruits of the dirty side of the business.
What is your problem? You've attacked this thread from the start and without any justification. I've not tried to make you look stupid. Have a look at your previous posts and the nonsense you sent by pm and you'll see you being in a bad light on this forum is all your own doing. You had no valid input to this thread so why mouth off?

The fact that I'm doing something positive with my life and using boxing as vechicle should be seen as a good thing. I don't understand why you seem intent on trying to belittle it. Everyone here can see it's you tried to turn this into an unneeded argument, not me.

It's good that you've had it in the ring, well done. But why do you think that gives you justification to slag other people without any background knowledge of who they are or what they are trying to do?

What makes you think I'm just, as you put it, a "idealistic student who wants to do a 5 minute presentation and thinks the sun shines out of every boxing celebrities harrsehole"? That's pretty disrespectful and insulting. I respect the views of all people involved in boxing and don't think the sun shines out of anyone.

I'll level with you here, why don't you tell us who you are and how you were involved in boxing. That might make a nice story for someone to do in itself.
hurlock
Super Middleweight

Post by hurlock »

what about the ref?? cant remember if it was francis or o'connel??

both really nice gent's as it happen's.
JDC
Cruiserweight

Post by JDC »

This is the type of thing which, once you get the ball rolling, I'd think a fair few would be interested in getting involved with.

It's a great subject. Good luck :TU:

P.S. If its going to be on radio maybe you could get some funding from a station. Talksport might be worth a try
bennie
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bennie »

hurlock wrote:what about the ref?? cant remember if it was francis or o'connel??

both really nice gent's as it happen's.

Richard Steele reffed, and did a great job. I had a terrific seat - not ringside, but in the first elevated row, so I was looking down at all the 'faces'. Benn's celebrity mates were all swanning around, most of whom are no longer celebrities, while I chatted with Johnny Rushton and ex-pro Gary Nickels. Terry Wenton was also there, on his heels when he walked, Mickey Duff and Davey Jones. There was a lot of chatting going on because the undercard was appalling. The crowd was very pro-Benn but began to warm to Eubank as he stayed with Benn in the exchanges. Apparently, Eubank had placed a ridiculous bet on himself to win in the first round, which is why he throws a big right hand at the very start of the fight, which misses by a mile. Eric alluded to his ring entrance. 'Simply the Best' cut off as Eubank was making his way to the ring, in an obvious attempt to unsettle him, and he turned round and started the walk all over again, once the music began. It was a great fight and all the fans left the NEC happy.