Ricky Burns vs Andreas Evensen Dec 4th

Post by HomeOfBritishBoxing »

deano92
Super Middleweight

Re: Ricky Burns vs Andreas Evensen Dec 4th

Post by deano92 »

HomeOfBritishBoxing wrote:http://www.BS.com/?m=show&id=31586

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_ ... &cat=boxer

pretty poor opponent, deserves an easy defence tho.
I'm going to defend the case of Evensen here. He's not a poor opponent at all; he's a really good boxer. Whether this is a bit too early for him, who knows, but all the talent is there. He's good in all areas, has a good chin, great stamina and comes on in the later rounds. Burns will not steamroll Andreas by any stretch of the imagination.
bennie
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bennie »

Much like Burns, then, except that Burns is a super-featherweight.
billy nelson
Middleweight

Post by billy nelson »

Ricky Burns has came on fantasticly since his world title win and is looking 1st class in the gym in confidence is sky high and i wouldnt like to be his next opponent.
Gazmac81
Light Heavyweight

Post by Gazmac81 »

Hes getting bit of national publicity now and deserves it , hope he keeps it going and stays champ for a while

Pitty he didnt play for scotland tonight as hes on a role and would maybe have won it for us :witzend:

billy nelson wrote:Ricky Burns has came on fantasticly since his world title win and is looking 1st class in the gym in confidence is sky high and i wouldnt like to be his next opponent.
bennie
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bennie »

Andreas Evensen impressed on a visit to these shores last year when he despatched an Italian in five rounds on the Matt Macklin-Amin Asikainen card in Manchester.
Why Manchester? The 24-year-old Norwegian, swarthy and strong-looking, is forced to travel because of the ban on professional boxing in Norway, so his young age and an equally fledgling record of 13-1 (5) belie a fair bit of experience on his part, with wins in England, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Finland and Spain already, and now Evensen sets his sights on Scotland and Ricky Burns for the WBO super-featherweight title in Glasgow on December 4.
So, how good is Andreas Evensen? The challenger, who turned pro just four years ago, has yet to fight beyond eight rounds but his last two contests were slated for the championship 12 and he wore down seasoned opponents and stopped them in the middle rounds. He’s stopped his last four, in fact, and his sole defeat came on a tight eight-round decision to quality Frenchman Benoit Gaudet in Germany in 2007, which is hardly a disgrace. Gaudet went on to challenge for the WBC super-featherweight title. Evensen used to box at super-featherweight himself but dropped down to featherweight in 2008 and has won seven on the spin to secure a top 10 ranking with the WBO. Yeah, he’s good.
However, his featherweight ranking has suddenly earned him the shot at Burns a weight up, and this is where his chances just as suddenly fall apart. Burns, a huge super-featherweight on a run of 14 wins and trained by the excellent Billy Neslon, first came to prominence when he outscored reigning British lightweight champion Graham Earl in a non-title affair at Wembley in 2005, since when he has continued to impress, even in defeat to Alex Arthur and Carl Johanneson, both big-hitters, both on points, his only defeats in 31 outings. "Now it’s party time," cracked Burns after making the weight for his stunning world title win over Puerto Rico’s Rocky Martinez last month in Glasgow, and you gain the distinct impression that the 27-year-old Scot knows he is so much bigger and stronger than most super-featherweights, and the latter will certainly apply to Evensen in December.
The likely scenario there is one of good competitive action in the early to middle rounds, by which time the champion’s greater natural strength will have taken its toll on Evensen, and Burns dominates down the stretch, roared home by big Scottish support, to take a solid, enjoyable 12-round decision.
Papadon
Middleweight

Post by Papadon »

Andreas Evensen has quite an interesting history:
· Adopted from Columbia to a family in Trondheim at the age of four months.
· Talented amateur but never competed at either Olympics or the World championships. But went on his own to Cuba to improve his boxing skills.
· Turned professional in a country where professional boxing is banned.
· His progress has been quite phenomenal and he is a magnificent athlete. Probably not at Burns’ level yet, though.
· Evensen is an academic. Straight A student. Holds a bachelor in psychology from the university in Trondheim. His thesis was a comparison of fan violence in English and Norwegian soccer.
· Very popular and well respected in his local environment. Coaches youngsters on a regular basis.
· He has a severely handicapped sister he devotes a lot of time and attention to; she has become part of the boxing community in Trondheim.
billy nelson
Middleweight

Post by billy nelson »

Papadon wrote:Andreas Evensen has quite an interesting history:
· Adopted from Columbia to a family in Trondheim at the age of four months.
· Talented amateur but never competed at either Olympics or the World championships. But went on his own to Cuba to improve his boxing skills.
· Turned professional in a country where professional boxing is banned.
· His progress has been quite phenomenal and he is a magnificent athlete. Probably not at Burns’ level yet, though.
· Evensen is an academic. Straight A student. Holds a bachelor in psychology from the university in Trondheim. His thesis was a comparison of fan violence in English and Norwegian soccer.
· Very popular and well respected in his local environment. Coaches youngsters on a regular basis.
· He has a severely handicapped sister he devotes a lot of time and attention to; she has become part of the boxing community in Trondheim.
Evensen will never have faced anyone anywhere has quick has ricky burns,variety of punches or as strong.Please beleive me when i say hes improved and his confidence is very high.Ive asked championship fighters to come and spar Ricky and the answer has been No.
ThereByTheGrace
Middleweight

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

I think Evensen has a good chance of winning - they say it wont go to his head but I think it will have done.
billy nelson
Middleweight

Post by billy nelson »

ThereByTheGrace wrote:I think Evensen has a good chance of winning - they say it wont go to his head but I think it will have done.
I can assure you if theres one boxer in the UK who isnt going to let winning a world title go to his head its Ricky! So sorry mate your talking PISH about someone you dont even know. :witzend:
southpaw90
Middleweight

Post by southpaw90 »

RICKY BURNS COATBRIDGE ARMY. canae wait his last fight was amazin and he's gonae b next big thing for scottish boxing
forcefraser
Light Heavyweight

Post by forcefraser »

billy nelson wrote:
ThereByTheGrace wrote:I think Evensen has a good chance of winning - they say it wont go to his head but I think it will have done.
I can assure you if theres one boxer in the UK who isnt going to let winning a world title go to his head its Ricky! So sorry mate your talking PISH about someone you dont even know. :witzend:
Love the word Pish, it puts piss to shame.

Living in Norway I hear a fair bit about Evensen. Even though pro boxing is banned here, the nuggets love any athlete who does well.

Evensen is a strong well conditioned guy, but he has not fought at any real level yet, so this is a major step up for him. He is well grounded though and will certainly come to win.

He has a chance, but Burns should have enough to give him one hell of a beating....
ThereByTheGrace
Middleweight

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

billy nelson wrote:
We'll wait and see. :shame:
billy nelson
Middleweight

Post by billy nelson »

ThereByTheGrace wrote:
billy nelson wrote:
We'll wait and see. :shame:
Yes we will! :shame: