Barry Hall

Brute
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Barry Hall

Post by Brute »

I hope you will excuse me my ignorance of Australian Rules football, but i heard on the radio yesterday that retired AFL player Barry Hall is taking up a boxing career at 34 years of age.

Does this mean that he thinks he can fight because he is too old to play football? Is there a history of mental illness in his family?
bigred83
Middleweight

Re: Barry Hall

Post by bigred83 »

i am led to believe that he has a bit of a background in boxing. he apparently won a few juniour titles back in the early 90's. having said that, after watching carl webb's attempt at getting into the ring it doesnt mean a whole lot.
best of luck to him i reckon. he could be an interesting addition to the heavyweight scene here, i am sure he'll turn up in shape every time.
buster007
Light Heavyweight

Post by buster007 »

come on brute, don't act so dumb.

u know it was far too difficult to start boxing while playing afl. if it was easy, he'd have started boxing 8 years ago.

there's no reason why he shouldn't start boxing now. he's got a chance to make a few dollars in a different sport if he can string a few wins together.

i mean dunny bill's fights r $50 pay per view events ffs.
jezzamundo
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jezzamundo »

He's a big strong guy and according to Danny Green, who has sparred with him a few times, he has some skills too. 34 is very late to be turning pro, so I can't see him making a splash on the world stage, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn out to be better than John Hopoate, so an Aussie or regional title probably isn't out of the question.
Beltane
Light Heavyweight

Post by Beltane »

Bazza certainly knew how to throw and connect with a punch during his AFL career and perhaps he should arrange down the track, a clash with Dunny Bill, under the guise of a Rugby Vs AFL decider. PPV of course!
ratter
Welterweight

Post by ratter »

Barry vs sonny Haha. The sad thing about it is these blokes Will prob get paid a lot more then some of our current top fighters who have been fighting all there life.they are good for promoters that's about it. I heard sonny got 40000 for a fight and some our best prospects are fighting for 2000_3000.
thunderfromdownunder
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by thunderfromdownunder »

Barry would paste sonny bill. I heard he was an accomplished amatuer.
buster007
Light Heavyweight

Post by buster007 »

the fact that dunny bill's fights r $50 pay per view tells u that he makes way more than most of our boxers. its obvious.
dan h
Light Heavyweight

Post by dan h »

will be interesting to see how Barry goes hitting someone who is expecting it, unlike his dog shot on staker. most cowardly act I have seen in professional sport in a long time.
buster007
Light Heavyweight

Post by buster007 »

u haven't watched much sport then, lol.
Hounddawg
Light Heavyweight

Post by Hounddawg »

I believe his amatuer career was as a Super bantamweight :oops:

Good luck as a heavy mate, and like others say, whats he like when the bloke knows the punch is coming.

Good spectacle either way.
colin russell
Light Heavyweight

Post by colin russell »

He cant do any worse than Carl Webb. :shame:
Brute
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Brute »

Hall was a 15 year old flyweight when he won his amateur title.
Brute
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Brute »

Hall could go for Michael O'Donnell, he last another one last night in Japan.
bollox
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bollox »

Good move, Barry :TU:

Barry Hall shelves plans for boxing career

Former AFL star Barry Hall has dramatically shelved his plans for a professional boxing career, saying his heart is not in it.

The 35-year-old former St Kilda, Sydney and Western Bulldogs key forward is apparently due to announce details of his first fight this morning.

But Hall confirmed last night that he would not go into the ring professionally at all.

"(The decision) is certainly final and it's the right one for me," he told Fox Sport.

"It's a decision that I haven't taken lightly.

"I said at the start of all this that if I'm not 100 per cent and I don't do it properly, I won't do it.

"I'm at that situation now - I think mentally and physically, I played 16 years of footy and I've gone to the well too many times in terms of competitive juices.

"To be fair to me and to be fair to the people paying to come watch me fight, I certainly wouldn't want to rob them of the money."

Hall was a junior Victorian boxing champion before he switched to football.

He said injuries were not to blame for his shock decision not to pursue a professional fight career, but added boxing is very tough and he did not want to disrespect the sport.

Asked how much money he would sacrifice by not going ahead with his much-anticipated professional boxing debut, Hall said: "if you look at it, nearly half a million dollars."

Hall admitted he probably left it too late to switch to boxing.

He had hoped the change of sports would recharge his competitive instincts.

"I've been to the well a few times and dragged myself out of situations, challenges," he said of his AFL career.

"This one, there's not much left in the well.

"I probably did do it too late, I was probably a little bit ambitious."

Hall is also aware there will be a lot of disappointment that he is not going ahead with boxing.

"It probably kept me going for a couple of weeks, because there have been a lot of people who have put in a lot of hard work," he said.

"Then, I've come to the decision that I'm doing this for the wrong reasons."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/boxing/b ... z1oYRehexD
Brute
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Brute »

It was always a publicity stunt.
bollox
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bollox »

What would be the point of that? He's an old fart who hadn't done any boxing for literally decades and decided he wasn't interested afterall
Brute
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Brute »

Might be after a TV show.
Like a Boss
Welterweight

Post by Like a Boss »

A certain 39 year old former AFL footballer has been training with Will Tomlinson and lost 15 kg. You could say he is fighting fit.
Like a Boss
Welterweight

Post by Like a Boss »

“The stars would have to align, and a lot of things would have to go right, but you never say never,” Hall said of the possibility of a bout in the future.

“It’s unlikely at this stage, I don’t know how I would fit it all in with the other things in my life, but if an offer came up, I would have a look at it.”

“I’m doing some training at the moment and really enjoying it,” he said yesterday. “I am not sure what will come of it.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/barr ... f6ea5f1bac
p4p1
Cruiserweight

Post by p4p1 »

fornicate Barry Hall he's a king hitting coward.

With constant commercials about what is now called a coward punch and how anyone who does it is a first class pudendum why is this guy on the TV every week? He wasn't that good compared to some others and was well known for being a thug.

His hit on Staker was an embarressment. Criminal charges should have been laid.
bollocks
Super Bantamweight

Post by bollocks »

Spot on. If Leigh Matthews could be convicted of an on field king hit in 1985 then I don't see why Hall wasn't charged
Grant
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Grant »

p4p1 wrote:eff Barry Hall he's a king hitting coward.

With constant commercials about what is now called a coward punch and how anyone who does it is a first class pudendum why is this guy on the TV every week? He wasn't that good compared to some others and was well known for being a thug.

His hit on Staker was an embarressment. Criminal charges should have been laid.
I am a swans supporter and am in total agreement