1%
Catterall - Decision
21%

Total votes: 71

Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Josh Taylor vs. Jack Catterall II | Sky PPV - 4 February 2022

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Josh Taylor: Catterall Couldn't Beat Me at My Worst - He Won't Beat Me at My Best!

WBC, IBF, WBO junior welterweight champion Josh Taylor feels very confident that he would topple Jack Catterall in a rematch.

They collided earlier this year in a mandatory bout, with Taylor winning a controversial twelve round split decision to retain his titles.

During the fight, Taylor suffered a knockdown and struggled to adapt to Catterall's awkward boxing style.

Before Taylor could even consider the idea of a rematch, he was hit with two mandatory orders.

The WBA ordered him to face Alberto Puello, while the WBC ordered him to make a defense against Jose Zepeda.

Despite an agreement between the sanctioning bodies that the WBC's mandatory would be next - the WBA refused to back away from their order - which forced Taylor to walk away from their belt.

Taylor is moving forward with his mandatory challenge against Zepeda - with a date and location being worked out by Top Rank, who work with both fighters.

Should Taylor prevail, he wants to have a rematch with Catterall to set the record straight.

Taylor firmly believes that he did enough to win their first encounter and he intends to be more dominant in the second meeting.

"If I could do it myself without all the complications of the boxing business, the next fight would be Jack Catterall straight away, put it to bed," Taylor said to BBC Sport.

"I believe I will win that fight. I don't believe he can beat me at my best. He couldn't beat me at my worst.

"Fight him again and then move up to welterweight, but I'm not making that mistake again of looking past [the next fight] and saying 'This is what I want to do'.

"I know that's what I was doing wrong, I didn't have the motivation. There will be no lack of that this time."
Last edited by Ruthless-RKO on 02 Nov 2022, 08:16, edited 8 times in total.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Re: Josh Taylor vs. Jack Catterall II - Who wins?

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Taylor has said it a few times now, he's staying at 140 to rematch Catt and shut him up.

He did say he was gonna move up, but its been a while and had other mandatories come up, so he started being questioned about why he's not moved up and if he's staying at 140 he should rematch Catt..

So now he wants to 'shut him up'..
Dioufy
Cruiserweight

Post by Dioufy »

Josh did not perform well whereas Jack performed out of his skin. Both won rounds (Jack won more) and I’d guess both would trade rounds in a rematch… I just think a more turned-on, focused and unsurprised Josh Taylor might steal a few more.

I expect a super tight, razor thin fight but Taylor getting 115-113 x3 in a very subjective fight.

Then both fighters move on.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Dioufy wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 16:51 Josh did not perform well whereas Jack performed out of his skin. Both won rounds (Jack won more) and I’d guess both would trade rounds in a rematch… I just think a more turned-on, focused and unsurprised Josh Taylor might steal a few more.

I expect a super tight, razor thin fight but Taylor getting 115-113 x3 in a very subjective fight.

I wouldn’t say Josh didn’t perform well, Catt just out worked him.

Taylor and his team probably watched Catt’s previous fights and though he’s a bore fighter, gonna make it ugly etc.

Catt did the complete opposite of that. Knew what he had to do in the opponents back yard.
Dioufy
Cruiserweight

Post by Dioufy »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 17:24
Dioufy wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 16:51 Josh did not perform well whereas Jack performed out of his skin. Both won rounds (Jack won more) and I’d guess both would trade rounds in a rematch… I just think a more turned-on, focused and unsurprised Josh Taylor might steal a few more.

I wouldn’t say Josh didn’t perform well, Catt just out worked him.

Taylor and his team probably watched Catt’s previous fights and though he’s a bore fighter, gonna make it ugly etc.

Catt did the complete opposite of that. Knew what he had to do in the opponents back yard.
For him I feel he performed badly. Look at him vs Postol, Davies, Baranchyuk, Ramirez and Prograis.

Footwork, distance, timing, variation all poorer. It’s not like he’s not faced a tricky southpaw before. Catt performed good but I can’t see him become a top 3 light welter anytime soon.

Plus Taylor must’ve been a middle on fight night to Jack who probably fights close to what he weighs in at.

Something was missing. I can’t imagine we’d see the same Josh Taylor in a rematch.
coneye
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by coneye »

I think it depends ,, If it was the Taylor were used to seeing , i'm gonna agree with the previous poster , that Josh had a bad night and Catt had the best night of his carreer ,, but like i said if its the old Taylor i think he will be more motivated train harder and win comfortable .

However it depends on one other major thing Davidson , if he has been imparting his great wisdom and Josh has been listening ,, CATT WINS EASY
DrDuke
Bantamweight

Post by DrDuke »

Catterall was clearly robbed in the 1st fight, but I think it was a case of underestimation and underpreparation from Taylor. In the rematch Taylor gotta win.
Kilburn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Kilburn »

I don’t know how Catterall could even find the motivation to match the effort he put in last time, given the verdict.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

coneye wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 21:28 I think it depends ,, If it was the Taylor were used to seeing , i'm gonna agree with the previous poster , that Josh had a bad night and Catt had the best night of his carreer ,, but like i said if its the old Taylor i think he will be more motivated train harder and win comfortable .

However it depends on one other major thing Davidson , if he has been imparting his great wisdom and Josh has been listening ,, CATT WINS EASY
Since he went with Ben, he only had two fights is that right? The KO1 I think it was and this ‘loss’ to Catt.

What if he performed this way because Catt had the best fight ever.
coneye
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by coneye »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 03:46
coneye wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 21:28 I think it depends ,, If it was the Taylor were used to seeing , i'm gonna agree with the previous poster , that Josh had a bad night and Catt had the best night of his carreer ,, but like i said if its the old Taylor i think he will be more motivated train harder and win comfortable .

Since he went with Ben, he only had two fights is that right? The KO1 I think it was and this ‘loss’ to Catt.

I think Catt did fight his best fight ever, Also think Taylor fought one of his worst , reasons why i don't know ,, could be he took it too easy , was,nt motivated , could be he fought to a plan arranged by Davidson and it did'nt work , by the time he relized it was too late , , This next one there will be no excuses and hopefully the better man wins ,, and i do personaly hope that man is Catterall ,, I really did'nt like Taylors bad sportsmanship after the fight
cpx2
Super Flyweight

Post by cpx2 »

Think he was with Davidson for the Ramirez fight.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

cpx2 wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 06:19

Ah yes, he was..

It was.. That wasn't part of the WBSS..

I remember after that, a lot of debate about Ben..
ThereByTheGrace
Super Welterweight

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

It'll be a good rematchm. Usually gap gets bigger with rematches but be interesting to see the odds when the fight happens I'd guess bookies won't be able to split them.

Location is key. Shouldn't be but it will be. Good luck getting a close decision up here!!
stujones
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by stujones »

Great Rematch - although I disagree with the statement of Taylor BEATING Catterall at his worse - I think that might have been Taylor at his worse and he did win a few rounds.

Without any confidence I can see "revenge" and Taylor just pulling away down the stretch and winning the championship rounds this time and winning with a deserving 115-113 / 116-112 verdict in a close affair that won't do Catterall much long term harm.
Wee Tommy
Bantamweight

Post by Wee Tommy »

ThereByTheGrace wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 06:25 It'll be a good rematchm. Usually gap gets bigger with rematches but be interesting to see the odds when the fight happens I'd guess bookies won't be able to split them.

Location is key. Shouldn't be but it will be. Good luck getting a close decision up here!!
Fûck off! Far far more bad decisions south of the border.
Stobbo
Flyweight

Post by Stobbo »

stujones wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 08:57 Great Rematch - although I disagree with the statement of Taylor BEATING Catterall at his worse - I think that might have been Taylor at his worse and he did win a few rounds.

Without any confidence I can see "revenge" and Taylor just pulling away down the stretch and winning the championship rounds this time and winning with a deserving 115-113 / 116-112 verdict in a close affair that won't do Catterall much long term harm.
This is exactly how I see it Stu :TU:
coneye
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by coneye »

When a figheter changes trainers , it takes a while to get said fighter out of habits ways of boxing ect ect , so improvements can take a while ,, BUT besides that it also goes the other way getting worse can take a while , has well was Taylors loss down to his attitude , taking it lightly , weight problems or just simply he was slowly regressing under wonder boy , we will see , Taylors next fight will answer all the questions only if he fights someone decent though
cpx2
Super Flyweight

Post by cpx2 »

coneye wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 11:34

When a figheter changes trainers , it takes a while to get said fighter out of habits ways of boxing ect ect , so improvements can take a while ,, BUT besides that it also goes the other way getting worse can take a while , has well was Taylors loss down to his attitude , taking it lightly , weight problems or just simply he was slowly regressing under wonder boy , we will see , Taylors next fight will answer all the questions only if he fights someone decent though
Lined up to fight Zepeda, who is his WBC mandatory. Certainly fits the bill as someone decent, that's for sure. Anything short of his best and it could be a painful night for Josh
Ezzard
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Ezzard »

Taylor couldn't land much clean. Catterall's team had done their homework.

Maybe Taylor had an off-night and Catterall is much better than people think. Similar to George Groves.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

Taylor will not box as what he did in the first fight.

I am afraid Catterall’s chance has been and gone.
KiwiRider
Super Bantamweight

Post by KiwiRider »

Surprised the poll isn't closer.
Maybe Jack can't do it again, but I felt he had the measure of Taylor and after being robbed once, you can bet he is going to be motivated and spiteful this time around.
a force
Middleweight

Post by a force »

I think Taylor needs a new trainer personally. Shane McGuigan summed it up after the Catterall fight, Taylor’s a pressure fighter who needs to use his size & strength to bully his opponents. It’s barmy that Taylor came away from the Prograis fight telling people he needs to box more & not get involved when he’d just put the performance of a lifetime in as an underdog.

The warning signs were there in the Ramirez fight when he gave away the majority of the second half of the fight & both Taylor & Davison looked puzzled that the fight was close when in fact the scoring was pretty fair. As soon as he started boxing on the back foot he started losing rounds.
ThereByTheGrace
Super Welterweight

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

Wee Tommy wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 09:05
ThereByTheGrace wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 06:25 It'll be a good rematchm. Usually gap gets bigger with rematches but be interesting to see the odds when the fight happens I'd guess bookies won't be able to split them.

Fûck off! Far far more bad decisions south of the border.
Burns Taylor and Harrison all had fortunate decisions up here at some point. Maybe more bad decisions because more fights
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »