Carl Thompson

handsofstone
Super Welterweight

Carl Thompson

Post by handsofstone »

Is he the most exciting fighter ever from these shores? I say yes and imo has one of the biggest hearts I've seen, he gets hurt and comes back, gets on top then gets stopped on a regular basis, I've been watching a lot of him lately

Eubank X2
Nelson
Haye
Sellers
Piper
Rocchigiani x2
Rothmann

All wars apart from maybe Rocchigiani rematch, if anyone's got a spare 10 minutes check out the Terry Dunstan highlights on YouTube, pure insanity
Bercli
Light Flyweight

Re: Carl Thompson

Post by Bercli »

handsofstone wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 18:23 Is he the most exciting fighter ever from these shores? I say yes and imo has one of the biggest hearts I've seen, he gets hurt and comes back, gets on top then gets stopped on a regular basis, I've been watching a lot of him lately

Eubank X2
Nelson
Haye
Sellers
Piper
Rocchigiani x2
Rothmann

All wars apart from maybe Rocchigiani rematch, if anyone's got a spare 10 minutes check out the Terry Dunstan highlights on YouTube, pure insanity
Along with Dennis Andries,I'd say it would be pretty difficult to find a better candidate imo
Coco
Cruiserweight

Post by Coco »

LEGEND :box: :bag:
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
:salut: :salut: :salut:
Bercli
Light Flyweight

Post by Bercli »

The Rothmann fight was incredible. I was ringside for that and believe me it was frightening.
orbtastic
Cruiserweight

Post by orbtastic »

One of my favourite fighters after Hearns and benn.

Seemed to have bottomless reserves. The rotthman fight was insane. As was the sellers fight. I saw him live a couple of times.
Ketchel
Super Middleweight

Post by Ketchel »

Don't forget he was served up as an early victim for David Haye but refused to read the script. Insanely exciting and refused to believe he was beaten. Warrior through and through.
Coco
Cruiserweight

Post by Coco »

Ketchel wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 18:50 Don't forget he was served up as an early victim for David Haye but refused to read the script. Insanely exciting and refused to believe he was beaten. Warrior through and through.
Ruined his career really
jimmystone
Minimumweight

Post by jimmystone »

One of my favourites.

When Paul Thomas waved him off against Nelson I was raging. softest ever stoppage in a world title fight. I think people forget just how bad that stoppage was. Don't get me wrong, Johnny was on top at the time but was gifted the belt at that moment.
Bercli
Light Flyweight

Post by Bercli »

Coco wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 18:51
Ketchel wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 18:50 Don't forget he was served up as an early victim for David Haye but refused to read the script. Insanely exciting and refused to believe he was beaten. Warrior through and through.
Ruined his career really
David was advised many times not take the fight with Thompson. It was too early on in his career. He knew what to expect with Carl. He was ringside for the Rothmann fight and saw first hand Carl's incredible inner steele
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

yep, the cat was a total gangster, unlimited heart points and a cracking punch on him too. i must've watched the sellers fight about 20 times

was worried something bad had happened to him when i saw the thread, thankfully not :box:
Nightmare Roy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Nightmare Roy »

margaret thatcher wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 02:03 yep, the cat was a total gangster, unlimited heart points and a cracking punch on him too. i must've watched the sellers fight about 20 times

was worried something bad had happened to him when i saw the thread, thankfully not :box:
I was worried too! Great fighter, remember watching the Haye fight with some mates and saying Haye will have his hands full here.
chinarich
Lightweight

Post by chinarich »

One of my favourite fighters, not sure he was ever in a dull fight.

There’s a great interview with him on YouTube where he looks back on his career, will have to see if I can find it again.
maverick23
Super Welterweight

Post by maverick23 »

Thompson was certainly one of our most exciting fighters. My pick though would be Jamie Moore.
ThereByTheGrace
Super Welterweight

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

Ricky Hatton for me but yeah I liked Thompson too
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

I remember working on the Thompson v Haye show, I was telling anyone prepared to listen that David Haye would smash Thompson to pieces.
:TU:
tonyevs
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by tonyevs »

Ruined his career really

No way did it ruin it - may have actually benefitted it. Haye learnt a few lessons that night.

Another concerned there may be bad news to read about the Cat😟

My first time at the York Hall was spoiled by the Cat😧
polecateddy
Middleweight

Post by polecateddy »

The Nelson stoppage seemed very premature but I suppose in retrospect maybe it was good from a long term health aspect. I do recall Nelson was very out of breath in his post fight interview. He might well have slowed in the championship rounds.
mickey1975
Super Middleweight

Post by mickey1975 »

tonyevs wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 04:24
Ruined his career really

No way did it ruin it - may have actually benefitted it. Haye learnt a few lessons that night.

Another concerned there may be bad news to read about the Cat😟

My first time at the York Hall was spoiled by the Cat😧
Why? Was you at Tak v Alexander the same night?
Coco
Cruiserweight

Post by Coco »

Bercli wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 01:57
Ruined his career really
David was advised many times not take the fight with Thompson. It was too early on in his career. He knew what to expect with Carl. He was ringside for the Rothmann fight and saw first hand Carl's incredible inner steele
Ruined what the CAT had left of his career, he never got any more opportunities

Haye had a very successful career since that loss, perverse really
Last edited by Coco on 26 Jun 2022, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
Fray Bentos
Bantamweight

Post by Fray Bentos »

According to Thompson, Akim Tafer was his hardest fight, knocked out his front teeth and was outboxing him until Thompson caught up with him in the 10th! :bow:
Steveh583
Super Flyweight

Post by Steveh583 »

Michael Gomez also. Never in a dull one.
Lenny Cravats
Super Lightweight

Post by Lenny Cravats »

chinarich wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 03:16 One of my favourite fighters, not sure he was ever in a dull fight.

There’s a great interview with him on YouTube where he looks back on his career, will have to see if I can find it again.
Yes, he was.

Unfortunately, it was the only time I saw him live... It was his last fight, I think on the Hatton - Maussa undercard.
Won on points in an absolute snoozer.

Loved watching Carl fight (apart from that one, though). I watched the Haye - Thompson fight on the big screen in Exchange Square in Manchester. Absolutely mental. The class they both showed after that fight was almost as memorable as the action itself.
mickey1975
Super Middleweight

Post by mickey1975 »

Lenny Cravats wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 08:34
chinarich wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 03:16 One of my favourite fighters, not sure he was ever in a dull fight.

Yes, he was.

Unfortunately, it was the only time I saw him live... It was his last fight, I think on the Hatton - Maussa undercard.
Won on points in an absolute snoozer.

Loved watching Carl fight (apart from that one, though). I watched the Haye - Thompson fight on the big screen in Exchange Square in Manchester. Absolutely mental. The class they both showed after that fight was almost as memorable as the action itself.
Wasn't it on delayed on a Saturday afternoon on BBC 1.
jamesmcdonnell
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jamesmcdonnell »

Bercli wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 18:44 The Rothmann fight was incredible. I was ringside for that and believe me it was frightening.
Me too.

Was sat with Dave Pariss, who called the fight spot on, he said "Thompsons drawing him on, next right hand he lands is putting him over" literally seconds before the end.

Rothmann went over in sections like a carpenters rule face first.
littlepug
Welterweight

Post by littlepug »

Benn has to be in with a shout-
Logan
Watson
Barkley
Eubank
Gent
McClellan