When will promoters / broadcasters realise that no one wants to watch womens boxing as a co main event ?

Glass Joe
Welterweight

Re: When will promoters / broadcasters realise that no one wants to watch womens boxing as a co main event ?

Post by Glass Joe »

high tower 1 wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 10:50
The Docker wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 16:14 There's a huge cultural issue with womens boxing that alienates a huge % of potential audience from the get go. Lots of folk simply dont like seeing girls hit other girls in the face. Doesn't matter how much they push it, for this period of time it will always be a minority sport because only the minority can really stomach it.
Naturally it will have a fan base, as does eating nettles and welly throwing. The womens movement is forever changing and it will gather momentum, hopefully outside of my time.

Are we really sure it's the pugilistic skills of the girls we are indifferent with, is that really the blocker from us being more appreciative?
Lack of power for me. If there were a few bad ass women banging out all comers of watch. Women’s MMA easier to watch for that reason.
Yeah, UFC Women have had some exciting fights . Nunes - Cyborg. Zhang - Jędrzejczyk. Rousey - Holm.

Boxing lack of power and gulf in class make it often unwatchable. Often, the fighter who wins the first round probably wins the fight 99% of the time. Other fighter hasn't got the power to come from behind KO win. Must be rare for a Froch - Taylor type fight ever happening in ladies boxing.
chiggsy
Middleweight

Re: When will promoters / broadcasters realise that no one wants to watch womens boxing as a co main event ?

Post by chiggsy »

Ufc different kettle of fish,amanda nunes is as exciting to watch as any man imo
smiling assassin
Welterweight

Post by smiling assassin »

jimmystone wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 03:14 Marshall v Shields is a main event fight. There's not a better match in the works in the next six months in this country.
Give it a rest Eddie
JamesPhilips
Light Flyweight

Post by JamesPhilips »

smiling assassin wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 13:52
jimmystone wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 03:14 Marshall v Shields is a main event fight. There's not a better match in the works in the next six months in this country.
Give it a rest Eddie :TU:
Lol to be honest this is the only womens fight I’m up for
brilo33
Lightweight

Post by brilo33 »

look iam all for women boxing ive grown up with young nieces one who was doing karate telling them they can do and be better than everyone anyone , i love katie taylor a real hero in my eyes but that is where it ends , but personally i have no interest in womens boxing, it does ruin a card for me , it is its own sport and should be treated as such , like the mma or bkf or amuture boxing
GreenLightning
Welterweight

Post by GreenLightning »

high tower 1 wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 10:50
The Docker wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 16:14 There's a huge cultural issue with womens boxing that alienates a huge % of potential audience from the get go. Lots of folk simply dont like seeing girls hit other girls in the face. Doesn't matter how much they push it, for this period of time it will always be a minority sport because only the minority can really stomach it.
Naturally it will have a fan base, as does eating nettles and welly throwing. The womens movement is forever changing and it will gather momentum, hopefully outside of my time.

Are we really sure it's the pugilistic skills of the girls we are indifferent with, is that really the blocker from us being more appreciative?
Lack of power for me. If there were a few bad ass women banging out all comers of watch. Women’s MMA easier to watch for that reason.
Dana White said he'd never have women fight in the UFC , ever
GreenLightning
Welterweight

Post by GreenLightning »

chiggsy wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 11:42 Ufc different kettle of fish,amanda nunes is as exciting to watch as any man imo
Lost to two girls Rousey tied in knots in 20 seconds between them
coneye
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by coneye »

First of all I DON'T LIKE womens boxing , always said it just can't take to it ... But with saying that theres a couple who i have watched and thought not bad if they were all like that i would be interested , Katie Taylor is one , she boxes quite well . ,, Can't stand your Ebanie woman and that Courtney woman , nothing against them has boxers they try there best ,

But what i don't like is there getting paid more than men higher placed on the cards for 2 minuite rnds ,,, now like i said i don't like it ,, but if its going to happen make it equal , there profesional make it 3 min rnds .

I'm all for equal equality , you watch that Ebanie girl whats it about is she a good boxer is she fook , has she got big tits and a good body course she has thats why so many watch her , will she have a go course she will the girls got a big heart ,, but having a big heart and big tits should'nt get you a main spot on a ppv doing 2 min rnds , when the punters could watch a better fight in the ameteurs , or theres a thousand men out there been trying a lot longer to get that spot .

Nope for me make it equal or piss it off ,
Bercli
Light Flyweight

Post by Bercli »

coneye wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 20:51 First of all I DON'T LIKE womens boxing , always said it just can't take to it ... But with saying that theres a couple who i have watched and thought not bad if they were all like that i would be interested , Katie Taylor is one , she boxes quite well . ,, Can't stand your Ebanie woman and that Courtney woman , nothing against them has boxers they try there best ,

But what i don't like is there getting paid more than men higher placed on the cards for 2 minuite rnds ,,, now like i said i don't like it ,, but if its going to happen make it equal , there profesional make it 3 min rnds .

I'm all for equal equality , you watch that Ebanie girl whats it about is she a good boxer is she fook , has she got big tits and a good body course she has thats why so many watch her , will she have a go course she will the girls got a big heart ,, but having a big heart and big tits should'nt get you a main spot on a ppv doing 2 min rnds , when the punters could watch a better fight in the ameteurs , or theres a thousand men out there been trying a lot longer to get that spot .

Fair comment. Im pretty sure both Katie and Amanda Serrano would welcome the 3 minute round and are equally embarrassed by the Bridges and Courtney's taking places on cards they have no right to. But to be fair there have been a few men on cards that couldn't fight a cold. Remember Freddie Flintoff?
chiggsy
Middleweight

Post by chiggsy »

GreenLightning wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 20:43
chiggsy wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 11:42 Ufc different kettle of fish,amanda nunes is as exciting to watch as any man imo
And then smashed rousey up in a couple of minutes.

Am not saying shes a floyd mayweather type fighter without her flaws (she lost her last one) but she brings it every time and your more or less guaranteed action,you cannot say that about womens boxing.

You are more or less guaranteed pillow fisted snoozers and thats the difference.
coneye
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by coneye »

Bercli wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 02:08
coneye wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 20:51 First of all I DON'T LIKE womens boxing , always said it just can't take to it ... But with saying that theres a couple who i have watched and thought not bad if they were all like that i would be interested , Katie Taylor is one , she boxes quite well . ,, Can't stand your Ebanie woman and that Courtney woman , nothing against them has boxers they try there best ,

Fair comment. Im pretty sure both Katie and Amanda Serrano would welcome the 3 minute round and are equally embarrassed by the Bridges and Courtney's taking places on cards they have no right to. But to be fair there have been a few men on cards that couldn't fight a cold. Remember Freddie Flintoff?
Agreed ,,, Only thing i can say to that though is i don't watch the Flintoff , type fights either
Coco
Cruiserweight

Post by Coco »

chiggsy wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 04:31
GreenLightning wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 20:43
And then smashed rousey up in a couple of minutes.

Am not saying shes a floyd mayweather type fighter without her flaws (she lost her last one) but she brings it every time and your more or less guaranteed action,you cannot say that about womens boxing.

You are more or less guaranteed pillow fisted snoozers and thats the difference.
Amanda Nunez is great fun to watch as are quality fighters like Taylor, Marshall and Serrano.

Courtney and Bridges are poor but their fight was great. Especially Bridges, she has some stones on her and folk will pay to watch someone put everything on the line.

Other than that the women's boxing I have seen has been proper tedious. Maybe because of mismatches, and quality fighters like Taylor suffer from this as she just doesn't have the competition.

Obviously there are plenty of mismatches on mens cards too but they are down the card and at least end in knockouts.

Having boring fights as main events or chief supports put folk off the game, however these days it's almost guaranteed that these high profile fights are women's fights, I guess they are cheap, it's always about the money.
JamesPhilips
Light Flyweight

Post by JamesPhilips »

Flintoff was never sold as a ‘world class’ fighter. These girls are awful and we’re told they’re amazing
ThereByTheGrace
Super Welterweight

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

It's terrible but sadly here to stay.

I just ignore it now. Have no interest. Play on my phone. Go on boxrec. Go to toilet. Phone a friend!

Anything but watching that shite!
Dioufy
Cruiserweight

Post by Dioufy »

Wilson bent v Denny war just ended. Crowd electric… promotors and ringside on their feet… followed by that vibe killer. Not got an issue with girls fighting on tv but if it’s not 50/50 or thereabouts it needs to go down the order. Sky keep talking how how so and so haven’t stopped this lady ect… hardly anyone stops anyone!! It’s frustrating. I know the talent pool isn’t there but these women fights can kill a crowd.

I went to Warrington v Lara last year. Maxi Hughes beat Straffon and Benn beat Grenados (not great fights but the crowd was up big time). Then Katie Taylor UDs Han in the standard way and the crowd dies just before the main event.

That’s frustrating.
TheLeprechaun
Super Lightweight

Post by TheLeprechaun »

Katie turned down 3 min rounds actually vs Serrano as the 2 min rounds are better for her style. Easier to get favourable cards too.

Nobody really wants to see 3 min rounds of women's boxing. It's excruciating as it is.
Ruthless-RKO
Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

TheLeprechaun wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 10:39

Katie turned down 3 min rounds actually vs Serrano as the 2 min rounds are better for her style. Easier to get favourable cards too.

Nobody really wants to see 3 min rounds of women's boxing. It's excruciating as it is.
There are some boxers who wild get way more stoppages and suit their styles better if some fights are 3 minutes.

Imagine it was 3 minutes? KT would have been stopped.
Dioufy
Cruiserweight

Post by Dioufy »

If women get 3 min rounds then I’ll officially be against women boxing.

Would turn me into full blown sexist.
Dioufy
Cruiserweight

Post by Dioufy »

Alma Ibarra doing womens boxing a favour last night in her fight for 4 WORLD TITLES.
tonyevs
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by tonyevs »

Vaida Masiokaite was the opponent for the much hyped Karriss Artingstall`s debut last night ... Vaida has won only 2 fights out of 24 .. 12 of those fights were against debutants.

Vaida went the distance with Karriss Artingstall, as she did recently with Caroline Dubois on her debut too ... in fact Vaida went the distance with Natasha Jonas the fight after Jonas lost closely on points to Katie Taylor and the fight before Jonas won a world title.

When a perpetual loser gets matched, and can go the distance with debutants and a boxer who will be world champion in their next fight, then that says it all about the standard of womens boxing.
Dioufy
Cruiserweight

Post by Dioufy »

Genuine question; who would win if this happened in Sept.

Jessica McCaskill v Lauren Price.

Imagine a sport where you can become number 1 after 2 fights/games.

I’d fancy Price to outbox the wild McCaskill tbh.

Sad.
Glass Joe
Welterweight

Post by Glass Joe »

I didnt even know Jessica McCaskill was fighting last night. I would drop the IBO belt, probably save 50 quid.

Surprised Taylor - McCaskill isnt being explored for Ireland
handsofstone
Super Welterweight

Post by handsofstone »

Dioufy wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 16:19 Genuine question; who would win if this happened in Sept.

Sad.
But let's get it right Diouf, Price is an Olympic Gold medalist and a highly decorated amateur, considering there's little to no depth in woman's boxing, I'm glad it's people like her fighting at world level, the alternative is far worse
Dioufy
Cruiserweight

Post by Dioufy »

handsofstone wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 17:10
Dioufy wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 16:19 Genuine question; who would win if this happened in Sept.

Sad.
But let's get it right Diouf, Price is an Olympic Gold medalist and a highly decorated amateur, considering there's little to no depth in woman's boxing, I'm glad it's people like her fighting at world level, the alternative is far worse
I don’t disagree but it’s not the current women making a mockery of it… it’s the depth. You’re either ‘elite’ as a women or you’re poor. There’s pretty much zero in between.
Bercli
Light Flyweight

Post by Bercli »

JamesPhilips wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 09:32

Flintoff was never sold as a ‘world class’ fighter. These girls are awful and we’re told they’re amazing
Fair point 👍