Carl Froch

Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Carl Froch

Post by Spud »

Carl Froch is one of my favourite fighters. I got to know him very well from the very start of his career.

Yet I thought he never got the credit he deserved because he came across a tadge arrogant in interviews.

Never ducked anyone, and you only had to look at his record to see he fought quality opponents throughout his career.

I remain convinced he would have given Joe Calzaghe one hell of a fight if they ever met.

What were your thoughts on Froch on his career
as a fighter and now as a TV pundit.
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Carl Froch

Post by Controversial »

He grew on me, I couldn't stand him at the start of his career, I thougth he was arrogant and I thought he looked awful when he boxed, he looked really amateurish and awkward. But he kept winning. You have to respect him, he had a good career and was as tough as nails. I think he is a good talker and can be a marmite type character but a lot of what he says is tongue in cheek I think. In some ways the same as Eubank Snr, couldn't stand him at first but grew to like him
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

Controversial wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 09:54 He grew on me, I couldn't stand him at the start of his career and I thought he looked awful when he boxed, he looked really amateurish and awkward. But he kept winning. You have to respect him, he had a good career and was as tough as nails. I think he is a good talker and can be a marmite type character but a lot of what he says is tongue in cheek I think
He used to get very nervous before fights.
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

Spud wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 09:56
Controversial wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 09:54 He grew on me, I couldn't stand him at the start of his career and I thought he looked awful when he boxed, he looked really amateurish and awkward. But he kept winning. You have to respect him, he had a good career and was as tough as nails. I think he is a good talker and can be a marmite type character but a lot of what he says is tongue in cheek I think
He used to get very nervous before fights.
Yes I've listened to a few of his podcasts, which he's stopped doing for some reason, but he's said on there how nervous he was before a fight. He done one podcast on his training regime for a fight, really interesting, he kept diaries of all his training camps and what times he done etc, a good listen if you are into that.
margaret thatcher
Flyweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

carl froch thread mandatories:

'used to hate him but he grew on me with his heart/willingness to fight the best'

'wouldve been schooled by calzaghe, but way outachieved him'

'total arrogant prick'

'tongue in cheek'

'80,000'
maverick23
Super Welterweight

Post by maverick23 »

Whenever I see something about Froch it randomly makes me smile thinking of this and how close he was to having his new nose dented…

jimmystone
Minimumweight

Post by jimmystone »

Gareth Davies is the sort of man I could imagine spending a lot of money on equipment to help him suck his own penis.
maverick23
Super Welterweight

Post by maverick23 »

jimmystone wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 10:52 Gareth Davies is the sort of man I could imagine spending a lot of money on equipment to help him suck his own penis.
Yeah - he’s probably had his lower ribs taken out.

I don’t like him much as a journalist but I’ll always hold him in high regard for the Froch thing above and far taking his own cricket bat, ball and gear into the Matchroom bubble for one of their shows when they had a friendly game on the small bit of grass at the back of the hotel. He reminds me of David Brent.
Counter-puncher
Light Heavyweight

Post by Counter-puncher »

jimmystone wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 10:52 Gareth Davies is the sort of man I could imagine spending a lot of money on equipment to help him suck his own penis.
absolutely

I also happen to know for a fact that he is storing his own sperm, in the hope that before he dies science will have discovered a means of cloning humans from sperm, so that he can die safe in the knowledge that he has bequeathed another version of himself towards the future history of the human race.
jamesmcdonnell
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jamesmcdonnell »

Spud wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 09:45 Carl Froch is one of my favourite fighters. I got to know him very well from the very start of his career.

Yet I thought he never got the credit he deserved because he came across a tadge arrogant in interviews.

Never ducked anyone, and you only had to look at his record to see he fought quality opponents throughout his career.

I remain convinced he would have given Joe Calzaghe one hell of a fight if they ever met.

What were your thoughts on Froch on his career
as a fighter and now as a TV pundit.
I think Calzaghe would have won, due to his greater output, but Carl would definitely have given him some rough moments.

Carl's lack of speed and mobility, and Calzaghe's fitness would have made it very difficult for Carl to win.
coneye
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by coneye »

Always liked Froch ,, his Arrogance was more confidence which you need to get where he got ,, but he obviously has a good sence of humor and does'nt suffer fools gladly , most what he says i think is tongue in cheek ..

Personaly for me he's the type of character i like , straight shooter with a sence of humor, my thoughts on his carreer , obviously a very good one he's rich :lol:

has a fighter , obviously a very good one he was world champ and is rich .

Has a pundit i like him calls it has he see's it speaks the truth and thats a breath of fresh air .

Beating Calagazie ,,, Errr hard one he had the desire tenacity and chin ,, but i think slappy would off slapped to victory i don't think either would of stopped the other both had good chins , but slappy perhaps a bit to quick for Carl ,, good fight though , but slappy prevails
Ezzard
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Ezzard »

Fantastic fighter. Would have been even better in the 15 round era.

When I first saw him I thought he was hyped. Thought he was ponderous, too slow and although he could hit I didn't see his power being able to take him to a world title. I loved how he proved me wrong and made me a fan of him as a boxer and I love his interviews and punditry. If I could meet one British boxer it would be Carl.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

coneye wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 11:08
Beating Calagazie ,,, Errr hard one he had the desire tenacity and chin ,, but i think slappy would off slapped to victory i don't think either would of stopped the other both had good chins , but slappy perhaps a bit to quick for Carl ,, good fight though , but slappy prevails
At the time I was convinced Froch could get the better of Joe …. perhaps it was my stubbornness influencing me. :TU:
jimmystone
Minimumweight

Post by jimmystone »

He is one of top five best Brits of the last fifty years.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

jimmystone wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 13:34 He is one of top five best Brits of the last fifty years.
Really??

I used to love watching Carl in training, some of the spars he had with Howard Eastman were awesome.
jimmystone
Minimumweight

Post by jimmystone »

Spud wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 13:38
jimmystone wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 13:34 He is one of top five best Brits of the last fifty years.
Really??

I used to love watching Carl in training, some of the spars he had with Howard Eastman were awesome.
I think so.
JamesPhilips
Light Flyweight

Post by JamesPhilips »

margaret thatcher wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 10:16 carl froch thread mandatories:

'used to hate him but he grew on me with his heart/willingness to fight the best'

'wouldve been schooled by calzaghe, but way outachieved him'

'total arrogant prick'

'tongue in cheek'

'80,000'
:clap: :lol:
maverick23
Super Welterweight

Post by maverick23 »

jimmystone wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 13:48
Really??

I think so.
Who else makes up the top 5 out of interest? I loved Froch and saw him fight live a fair bit but I can’t put him in the top 5 as he didn’t prove himself to be the best in the world.
handsofstone
Super Welterweight

Post by handsofstone »

I always thought the Flat Earth spiel was lies but seen a clip of him the other day, spouting it 😭
JamesPhilips
Light Flyweight

Post by JamesPhilips »

Really??

Who got the better? And why did Carl Froch hate Groves so much? What happened in the camp? :TU:
jimmystone
Minimumweight

Post by jimmystone »

maverick23 wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 13:56
jimmystone wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 13:48

Really??

I think so.
Who else makes up the top 5 out of interest? I loved Froch and saw him fight live a fair bit but I can’t put him in the top 5 as he didn’t prove himself to be the best in the world.
Joe
Lennox
Naz
McGuigan
Froch
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

JamesPhilips wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 14:16
Really??

Who got the better? And why did Carl Froch hate Groves so much? What happened in the camp? :TU:
From the sparring I saw I thought Carl got the better of Howard.

Froch’s dislike of Groves come from the lead up to l
the 1st fight. Have to admit George was a master of winding people up.
garethhop
Super Lightweight

Post by garethhop »

The way he got himself back into that first match with Groves and indeed took over was absolutely incredible. You very rarely see that at the higher weights with two men so close to their peaks.

Plenty of fights and moments to rewatch over and over.

Genuinely elite fighter.

Shame he’s a bit of an arse.
ThereByTheGrace
Super Welterweight

Post by ThereByTheGrace »

Went to see him v bute and then Kessler. Always good value and a good fighter. Not great though!
JamesPhilips
Light Flyweight

Post by JamesPhilips »

Spud wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 14:48
JamesPhilips wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 14:16

Really??

From the sparring I saw I thought Carl got the better of Howard.

Froch’s dislike of Groves come from the lead up to l
the 1st fight. Have to admit George was a master of winding people up.
Yeah but it seemed like there was some history as well