How do you rate yourself?

big lennox
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: How do you rate yourself?

Post by big lennox »

I would rate myself about 3/10. I havenr been to a live show in years and only watch a handful of fights live on TV. I watch a lot of the you tube interviews with Cuggan Cassius and Boxing Social and ID Boxing etc. I paid for the Joshua vs Uysk II and Joyce vs Parker fights, but didn't buy into Benn vs Eubank Jnr. I couldn't look past the weight drain clauses which I felt were really dangerous.

Previously, I used to know every fighter coming through and the journeyman and follow peoples careers develop, much less so these days.

The fact that fights like Spence vs Crawford don't get made makes me disengage with the sport further still.
Deserter
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Deserter »

veriton wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 03:18 Last show I went to there was a huge brawl in crowd (copper box) and haven't been back.
Was that the Arthur vs Yarde rematch this time last year? Was meant to be going to that and then a friend let me down at the last minute. Was gutted, until I started seeing the tweets saying there was more 'action' outside the ring than it it...
veriton
Light Heavyweight

Post by veriton »

Deserter wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 07:24
veriton wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 03:18 Last show I went to there was a huge brawl in crowd (copper box) and haven't been back.
Was that the Arthur vs Yarde rematch this time last year? Was meant to be going to that and then a friend let me down at the last minute. Was gutted, until I started seeing the tweets saying there was more 'action' outside the ring than it it...
No, but was during a Yarde fight just after Sam McNess was beaten by Asina Byfield. West Ham lot went mad but then Yardes bunch got involved and it was a huge brawl. Slightly shocked to look back and see it happened in 2017, doesn't feel that long ago.
milpool
Middleweight

Post by milpool »

veriton wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 10:04
No, but was during a Yarde fight just after Sam McNess was beaten by Asina Byfield. West Ham lot went mad but then Yardes bunch got involved and it was a huge brawl. Slightly shocked to look back and see it happened in 2017, doesn't feel that long ago.
I was at that show, I was in the upper tier and got some cracking videos of the West Ham lot getting an absolute shellacking!
gilgamesh
Super Middleweight

Post by gilgamesh »

At my peak I was definitely a 9/10

Now. I'm more like a 2 or 3. I don't see nearly as much Boxing these days, but I still am aware of the goings on in the sport.
margaret thatcher
Bantamweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

going to shows is totally overrated from a fandom perspective, worse views to assess the fight and have to put up with distracting and sometimes dangerous sheeyat heads in the crowd. i used to go but dont anymore . can use the money saved on ticket to enjoy some yummy nommies while watching
Nightmare Roy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Nightmare Roy »

I'd say many years ago I was a boxing nut, subscription to boxing news, allegedly, read every book I could of found, watched pretty much every TV show, used to love watching all the cards on Eurosport. I could have named probably evey world champ in each division at one time. Didnt go to live shows though. So probably a 7. Now I'd say about a 2. Lost interest in it, life gets in the way and I'm sick of all the BS, fights not getting made, horrid decisions week in week out etc.
jtourettes
Cruiserweight

Post by jtourettes »

veriton wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 10:04
Seems to be a common occurrence at fw shows. Think the last show I went to was possibly Mitchell - katsidis, load of rucks in the crowd
Frostieballs
Super Flyweight

Post by Frostieballs »

The replies on this thread beg a question….

Why do we hang about on a forum for a sport we have waning interest in?

I’ve said before, I’m often more interested in discussing boxing than watching it.
Wee Tommy
Cruiserweight

Post by Wee Tommy »

For me it’s mostly because there a few posters whose opinion on maters other than and I nckuding boxing are interesting to me. I took a break for over a year and came back.

If boxing was run like a sport instead of a racket it would be great. Maybe in time it will be.
Wee Tommy
Cruiserweight

Post by Wee Tommy »

Frostieballs wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 14:56 The replies on this thread beg a question….

Why do we hang about on a forum for a sport we have waning interest in?

I’ve said before, I’m often more interested in discussing boxing than watching it.
For me it’s mostly because there a few posters whose opinion on maters other than and including boxing are interesting to me. I took a break for over a year and came back.

If boxing was run like a sport instead of a racket it would be great. Maybe in time it will be.

Also, nobody else I know really likes talking about boxing, even tho three of my best mates are former and current professionals.
mickey1975
Cruiserweight

Post by mickey1975 »

margaret thatcher wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 13:35 going to shows is totally overrated from a fandom perspective, worse views to assess the fight and have to put up with distracting and sometimes dangerous sheeyat heads in the crowd. i used to go but dont anymore . can use the money saved on ticket to enjoy some yummy nommies while watching
Not in the ams.
Lenny Cravats
Super Welterweight

Post by Lenny Cravats »

margaret thatcher wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 13:35 going to shows is totally overrated from a fandom perspective, worse views to assess the fight and have to put up with distracting and sometimes dangerous sheeyat heads in the crowd. i used to go but dont anymore . can use the money saved on ticket to enjoy some yummy nommies while watching
I've been to a handful of shows -- full of pudenda nearly every time.
The Hatton ones were the absolute worst.
Atmosphere was just like being in a rough as shit pub on Friday night that plays shit music.
Not my people at all.
Watch it in the pub, at home on my own, or round a mates house with a group of decent lads and beer.

I get most of my boxing info from here.

I don't have Sky Sports anymore and only really watch the big fights.

That said, I know more about boxing than anyone else I know. Not anywhere near as most on here, mind.
Glass Joe
Middleweight

Post by Glass Joe »

mickey1975 wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 15:08
Not in the ams.
TV shows in leisure centres were great back in the day. Loved going to Maloney and Hennessy bills. haven't been to a big show in a while. Mostly for all the reasons above.
Dioufy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Dioufy »

I went to the Commonwealth games and it was super fan friendly.
I went to the Lara/Warrington rematch and it was full of knobs.
Amateur boxing is the future if you wanna watch live… or maybe these Sunday afternoon shows.
fornicate anything past 7pm. You may die.
Glass Joe
Middleweight

Post by Glass Joe »

viewforum.php?f=21

theres a off topic section spud

ps i give myself a 4 out of 10.
Last edited by Glass Joe on 04 Dec 2022, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
emallini
Welterweight

Post by emallini »

I think you are all clueless and talk utter shite non stop. Quiet as a mouse in a boxing gym most of you.
Alba
Light Heavyweight

Post by Alba »

Ahm 10/10
rhino222
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by rhino222 »

I reckon im a 7

Decent knowledge, present and historical.

Been to plenty of live shows in big arenas and small halls. Ive been lucky enough to have spent time 'behind the scenes' too. Big fight build ups, pressers, gym access, changing room access pre and post fight etc.

Lately ive been a bit disheartened with what i think is happening to 'my' sport and the associated poor reffing and judging. The favours shown to the home town fighters etc. The top level opponent 'dodging'
smiling assassin
Middleweight

Post by smiling assassin »

2-3/10. Completely lost interest in the sport. Social media for all its plus sides is the main reason it’s turned to pot.
Had a dad come up to me today asking me to do some pads with his boy as he was fighting in January. When I said let his trainer sort all that he said he hasn’t got a trainer and he accepted the fight through Instagram. Madness
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

Spud wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 09:03

Giving yourself maximum score of 10 …

How do you rate yorself as s boxing fan?

Outstanding
Above Average
Good
Average
Poor

To help you score & rate yourself take into consideration the following:

Attendance at shows.
Never miss a show on tv.
Ability to score a fight.
Knowledge of boxing.
You never complain about boxing on boxrec🤣🤣🤣
Based on the above five requirements, and giving myself a maximum of 2 points for each one, I’m a good 5/10. I haven’t been to a live event in years and I only tend to watch the big fights. I’d say I was fairly knowledgeable but I don’t keep up to date like I used to. I used to buy all the boxing magazines, videos and compile records back in the day but lost interest over time. I’m far more cynical about it all now too, I even wonder at times if it should be banned which is kind of a weird way to think about a sport you love.