6%
Crawford - T/KO
27%
Crawford - Decision
35%

Total votes: 137

tiny_acres
Welterweight

Re: Errol Spence Jr. vs. Terence Crawford | PBC PPV - July 22, 2023?

Post by tiny_acres »

Normally I say I'll believe a fight happens when the bell rings for round 1.
On this fight I won't believe it happens until they throw the first punch.
It ain't happening
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Re: Errol Spence Jr. vs. Terence Crawford | Showtime PPV - July 29, 2023?

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Sources: Terence Crawford, Errol Spence Jr. agree to July 29 fight

Terence Crawford and Errol Spence Jr. have agreed to a deal to fight for the undisputed welterweight championship on July 29 at Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena, sources tell ESPN.

PBC's Al Haymon, who advises Spence, and CAA's Ish Hinson, who advises Crawford, negotiated and now will deliver the most anticipated boxing match since the mega fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao in 2015.

Crawford and Spence will each earn eight figures guaranteed for the Showtime PPV fight, sources said, and there's a bidirectional rematch clause that the loser can trigger within 30 days after the fight. It's a two-fight deal for Crawford with PBC, sources said. After the probable return bout between Crawford and Spence, which must take place before the end of 2023, both boxers are expected to move up to 154 pounds.

If they split the two fights, a trilogy fight is overwhelmingly likely. And whoever comes out on top is expected to push for a shot at the undisputed junior middleweight championship, which is currently held by Jermell Charlo. Spence and Charlo both train in Dallas with Derrick James.

The deal concludes years of Crawford and Spence circling one another as the world's two best welterweights without actually stepping in the ring.

But now, they're set to meet in one of the biggest events the sport can offer, a matchup that will decide supremacy at 147 pounds, and lend the winner a claim as the best boxer in the world regardless of weight. Already, Crawford is ESPN's No. 1 pound-for-pound boxer, with Spence three spots behind him at No. 4.

Spence (28-0, 22 KOs) was slated to move up to 154 pounds for a summer bout against Keith Thurman, but both Spence and Crawford were determined to fight each other next. The fighters met in March and came to an agreement on big-picture terms, sources said.

Integral to the deal were the fighters' respective advisors. Haymon and Hinson, who have a long-standing relationship, worked together on the second and third heavyweight title fights between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder.

And now, another super fight is on the horizon pitting Crawford and Spence in a fight that fans have waited years for.

Since Crawford (39-0, 30 KOs) captured the WBO welterweight title in his first fight at 147 pounds in June 2018, there have been calls for a summit meeting against Spence. For years, one impediment loomed large: rival promoters.

Spence, who holds the WBA, WBC and IBF titles, is with PBC while Crawford formerly was with Top Rank, entities that rarely conduct business with one another. Top Rank did promote Crawford's title defense against PBC fighter Shawn Porter in November 2021, but that was a bout mandated by the WBO.

Crawford, 35, became a promotional free agent following the 10th-round TKO victory over Porter, paving the way for a potential bout with Spence. The sides engaged in talks for much of last year and were on the verge of completing a deal in September, but talks collapsed at the 11th hour.

Crawford went on to score a highlight-reel sixth-round KO of David Avanesyan in December in his native Omaha, Nebraska. Spence, 33, last fought in April 2022, a 10th-round TKO victory over Yordenis Ugas in Arlington, Texas, to pick up a third welterweight title.

The fight was Spence's first since he underwent surgery in August 2021 to repair a detached retina. He was set to fight the legendary Manny Pacquiao that same month but withdrew from the matchup because of the eye injury. But Spence came back better than ever, just like he did when he recovered from a serious car crash in October 2019 that threatened to jeopardize his career.

Fourteen months after that accident, Spence routed Danny Garcia via decision. And while many boxers have been forced to retire due to a detached retina, Spence returned from the surgery -- just like Sugar Ray Leonard in the 1980s -- to stop Ugas.

Now, Spence and Crawford are set for their toughest challenge yet, the event that will determine their legacies once and for all. And it's happening because the fighters pushed behind the scenes to finalize the matchup at long last.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

“It’s a couple of years too late. I still feel they’re somewhat on top of their game,” said Dan Canobbio to Inside Boxing Live on the Spence vs. Crawford fight.

“It’s hard to tell because Crawford has been inactive in recent years, especially against tip-top guys. Spence has been out of the ring with health problems from multiple car accidents and the eye,” said Chris Algieri.

“So there are many question marks with these guys, but there’s no question this is a huge fight. Once we get close to it, this is going to be a massive, massive fight.

“The timing of this is no coincidence. Coming on the heels of last weekend’s fight between Haney and Lomachenko with all the controversy surrounding that,” said Algieri.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

I think the Tank-Garcia ppv numbers have made this fight happen.
TBH, Garcia probably brought more fans overall.

I don't think Spence-Crawford does near 1m..

Hope I'm wrong.
Monzon83
Super Bantamweight

Post by Monzon83 »

Hell finally froze over.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Monzon83 wrote: 24 May 2023, 19:36 Hell finally froze over.
Pigs started flying!
Bandog
Bantamweight

Re: Errol Spence Jr. vs. Terence Crawford | PBC PPV - July 22, 2023?

Post by Bandog »

tiny_acres wrote: 23 May 2023, 21:08 Normally I say I'll believe a fight happens when the bell rings for round 1.
On this fight I won't believe it happens until they throw the first punch.
It ain't happening
:OhYes: I hear ya. We'll see.
adislav123
Super Welterweight

Re: Errol Spence Jr. vs. Terence Crawford | Showtime PPV - July 29, 2023

Post by adislav123 »

i don't give a dlyin' frick bout what numbers it may make or not.

for how long do we fight fans want that fight to happen?

if it really happens now, i got two things to say:

finally! perfect!
Perseus
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Perseus »

It is long past time for this "let it marinate" for years and years stategy to be put to a halt.
This fight should have happened before the pandemic.
It has passed its sell by date.
I will not buy or stream it, I don't care who wins and I sincerely hope it is a massive financial flop.
goose 5
Super Bantamweight

Post by goose 5 »

I'm more excited about Fulton versus The Monster 4 days earlier but I'm glad these guys are finally fighting.
NateJR
Super Welterweight

Post by NateJR »

People talking outta their asses saying they arent excited for this fight. They lost interest, blah, blah, blah. All the talk about not watching the fight, just fuckin stop lol.

I remember this same talk with Mayweather vs. Pacquiao and that fight took longer to make than this one. They were older than these guys, they weren't both undefeated and it wasn't for the undisputed title. That fight went on to be the highest selling PPV in boxing history at a whopping $100 to watch it on PPV.

If you're not excited about this fight, then honestly there's not much to get excited about in boxing for you. It doesn't get bigger than this. You just don't get 2 top P4P fighters who are still undefeated, fighting for the undisputed title ever. You just don't see that shit.

There's nothing wrong with the timing of this fight. It's right on time to be honest, there should be no excuses for either guy after that final bell rings.
Thomastearns
Super Featherweight

Post by Thomastearns »

Basically everyone here will watch it at some point or another.

It's late, but not too late like Mayweather v Pacquiao which should again have been postponed due to the latters shoulder injury.

That fight, boxings biggest, did the sport some grievous harm.

Anyway, if this was going to happen, better now than never.

Who knows, if it's good, we could see a sequel.

Besides, I'm guessing the delay will help Spence more than Crawford.
Bandog
Bantamweight

Post by Bandog »

NateJR wrote: 26 May 2023, 14:45 People talking outta their asses saying they arent excited for this fight. They lost interest, blah, blah, blah. All the talk about not watching the fight, just fuckin stop lol.

I remember this same talk with Mayweather vs. Pacquiao and that fight took longer to make than this one. They were older than these guys, they weren't both undefeated and it wasn't for the undisputed title. That fight went on to be the highest selling PPV in boxing history at a whopping $100 to watch it on PPV.

If you're not excited about this fight, then honestly there's not much to get excited about in boxing for you. It doesn't get bigger than this. You just don't get 2 top P4P fighters who are still undefeated, fighting for the undisputed title ever. You just don't see that shit.

There's nothing wrong with the timing of this fight. It's right on time to be honest, there should be no excuses for either guy after that final bell rings.
Well said. I admit I am one with frustration, but am so pumped it's happening.

I got Spence by late TKO, or UD unless Crawford can get a sneaky hard punch in like he did with Porter. Aint over til it's over. Aside from that punch from T Craw, Spence basically beats him up like he did Ugas.

Crawford is a young, healthy 35 or 36. No wars to age him prematurely like Porter.

Spence is prime age but activity may cause him to show rust early. He's busy enough to win by UD, but we'll see how much dog Bud has.
apollo creed
Super Lightweight

Post by apollo creed »

This fight is slightly out-dated. :zzz:

T.C is 35 and Spence is 33.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

apollo creed wrote: 28 May 2023, 10:59 This fight is slightly out-dated. :zzz:

It’s not like they’re over the hill.
BigGar
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by BigGar »

Better late than never but this should’ve happened before now. Crawford will win.

The mad thing is that the winner will get massive kudos from fans but it’s possible that Ennis is the best of the lot. Not sure he will ever have the chance to prove it though.
KiwiRider
Super Featherweight

Post by KiwiRider »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 28 May 2023, 12:36
apollo creed wrote: 28 May 2023, 10:59 This fight is slightly out-dated. :zzz:

It’s not like they’re over the hill.
Neither are prime though, are they.
And 'over the hill' can happen overnight with the lighter weight guys, you've seen it before.
Syntax Error
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Syntax Error »

Ruthless-RKO wrote: 25 May 2023, 13:27
That's one fight poster I thought I'd never see.
JackSprocket
Super Flyweight

Post by JackSprocket »

Thats a cool poster though
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

JackSprocket wrote: 28 May 2023, 17:16 Thats a cool poster though
That’s basically all PBC posters by default.