Salvador Sanchez-Samuel Serrano

AngryGoon38
Cruiserweight

Salvador Sanchez-Samuel Serrano

Post by AngryGoon38 »

At 130 lbs. 12 rounder.

I was reading a recent thread posted here about Salvador Sanchez and the hypotheticals given in that thread.
This one immediately sprang to mind, especially being that no-one mentioned it as a possible could've been hypothetical.
As was stated, Danny Lopez and Wilfredo Gomez were mentioned as being tailor-made for Sanchez to have his way with.

I remember "Rueben Castillo" giving Sanchez a legit and very testing challenge, especially for the first 8-10 rounds, before Sanchez was able to truly find his rhythm and acclimate himself to having his way versus RC.
Samuel Serrano though, I've seen at least one of his classic bouts in it's entirety, and he seems like he would've had the
Style to very potentially pull off the win versus Salvador Sanchez.

In this hypothetical I'm going to say that We would've had a legit 50-50 bout here.
I think that it would've very likely gone the distance and it would've likely been one of those tricky bouts to judge/score.
Bottom line is that it would've depended on the location of they're bout, along with what each of the judges prefer to favor while judging a boxing match.

Puerto Rico- Serrano wins by decision, probably a Majority decision.

Mexico- Sanchez gets the Nod, by Split decision.

Neutral Location- A Draw ! :geek:
Joson
Light Flyweight

Re: Salvador Sanchez-Samuel Serrano

Post by Joson »

I can't believe that Serrano could beat SS anywhere under any circumstances. But I do think Sammy could have lasted the full route against Sanchez..

This is an educated guess on my part. That's all.
Last edited by Joson on 03 Jun 2023, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
Nile4000
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Nile4000 »

I think Salvador wins by UD, but if I was him, I would not fight in Puerto Rico.
elmersalsa
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by elmersalsa »

Nile4000 wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 14:48 I think Salvador wins by UD, but if I was him, I would not fight in Puerto Rico.
That's the same thing I have said about the great Carlos Zarate. Why did he go to Puerto Rico to fight a great fighter like Wilfredo Gomez above his weight class was beyond my comprehension.
elmersalsa
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by elmersalsa »

By the way, this would be one of the great Salvador Sanchez's easiest fights at 130lbs if he would have been still alive and move to that class.

Sanchez wins big, and by knockout. No matter the venue.
Nile4000
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Nile4000 »

elmersalsa wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 17:17
Nile4000 wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 14:48 I think Salvador wins by UD, but if I was him, I would not fight in Puerto Rico.
That's the same thing I have said about the great Carlos Zarate. Why did he go to Puerto Rico to fight a great fighter like Wilfredo Gomez above his weight class was beyond my comprehension.
So true. Definitely underestimated Wilfredo.
giacomino
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by giacomino »

This would be a distance fight. Serrano was a decent boxer, his weakness was he couldn't take a big punch,which wasn't Sanchez' forte anyway. I would go with Sanchez by UD, but it wouldn't be one-sided or easy for the guy moving up in weight
AngryGoon38
Cruiserweight

Post by AngryGoon38 »

giacomino wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 17:25 This would be a distance fight. Serrano was a decent boxer, his weakness was he couldn't take a big punch,which wasn't Sanchez' forte anyway. I would go with Sanchez by UD, but it wouldn't be one-sided or easy for the guy moving up in weight
Also to be considered would be the height and reach difference.

Sanchez was listed at 5'6-1/2 with a 69-1/2 reach on the tale of the tape, at least for the Castillo bout in April of 1980.

Serrano was listed at 5'9 and his reach was 72" I think.

Sanchez had trouble with the likes of Pat Cowdell.

Serrano was Very Elusive. Had some nice very quick sneaky awkward position punching abilities.

Based on the specific styles involved, I'd definitely expect a very tough challenge for Sanchez.

Serrano was Very similar style-wise, to Edwin Viruet, and Viruet gave Duran all kinds of fits.
giacomino
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by giacomino »

Would have been great to see Serrano fight Arguello at 130 in 1978-80. I would have gone with El Flaco Explosivo by KO around the 11th but it would have been an interesting match and Serrano made 14 successful defenses in two reigns at that weight, so it would have been a natural unification bout