12%
Dubois - Decision
1%

Total votes: 76

Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Oleksandr Usyk vs. Daniel Dubois | ESPN+ - August 26, 2023

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Usyk-Dubois: Alex Krassyuk ($8,057,000) Outbids Queensberry To Secure Rights, August 12 in Poland Eyed

Oleksandr Usyk is in control of his own destiny.

Alex Krassyuk, Usyk’s career-long promoter, gained control of the Oleksandr Usyk-Daniel Dubois heavyweight title consolidation fight. Krassyuk posted a massive bid of $8,057,000, far outpacing the generous $5,620,050 submitted by Queensberry Promotions—Dubois’ promoter—as the lone other bidder.

Usyk (20-0, 13KOs) is due $6,042,750, 75-percent of the winning bid as the WBA ‘Super’ titleholder. Dubois (19-1, 18KOs) and his team are entitled to a career-high $2,014,250 payday per the standard 25-percent as the secondary titlist fighting for a superior belt.

A proposed date and location of August 12 in Wroclaw, Poland for Usyk-Dubois accompanied the winning bid. Usyk will attempt the second defense of his unified WBA ‘Super’, IBF and WBO heavyweight title reign; Dubois enters his first major title fight.

The ordered title consolidation bout came in the wake of collapsed talks between Usyk and lineal/WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury (33-0-1, 24KOs) for the first undisputed heavyweight championship clash of the 21st century. The two sides teased for months the possibility of a springtime collision, but it never came to fruition.

It was the WBA who stepped in to order a hard deadline for negotiations to conclude, given its overdue title consolidation fight. Fury and Usyk had until March10 to reach terms.

As Boxing Scene previously reported, both parties confirmed to the WBA that terms were agreed to for their proposed championship clash. The WBA then placed an April 1 deadline to receive signed contracts, though the fight fell apart well before that point.

Dubois entered the equation following a sixth-round knockout of unbeaten Trevor Bryan to claim the WBA ‘Regular’ heavyweight title last June 11 in Miami.

Ukraine’s Usyk has mandatory challengers for all three titles waiting in queue for their respective shot at the unbeaten two-division champ. The sanctioning bodies agreed that the WBA is next in rotation, which left Dubois next up as the WBA ‘Regular’ heavyweight titlist.

Dubois was ordered as the mandatory challenger only after the WBA received medical records confirming his availability to return to the ring. The secondary titlist reportedly suffered a torn ACL in his off-the-canvas, third round stoppage of Kevin Lerena in his first—and will be the only—defense of the title last December 3 in North London.

Ongoing negotiations between Krassyuk and Queensberry failed to produce a reached agreement the May 2 deadline. Initial talks suggested a deal would be reached, to where Queensberry sought an extension. The exact opposite vibe was felt by Krassyuk, who pushed the WBA to order an immediate purse bid even prior to the deadline as he’d felt there was no room left to negotiate.

Usyk became a two-division titlist following his September 2021 win over Anthony Joshua in North London. The Ukrainian southpaw—who won an Olympic Gold medal in 2012 London—previously served as the undisputed cruiserweight champion before he moved up to heavyweights.

Four wins have followed including back-to-back victories over Joshua. The repeat feat came last August 20 in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. A nip-and-tuck affair through nine rounds saw Usyk puil away in the final nine minutes to successfully lodge his first title defense.

The winner of the fight will be the sole recognized WBA heavyweight titlist, thus eliminating the ‘Regular’ belt from existence in accordance with the sanctioning body’s ongoing title reduction campaign.
Last edited by Ruthless-RKO on 19 Jul 2023, 03:12, edited 5 times in total.
Evander
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Oleksandr Usyk vs. Daniel Dubois - August 12, 2023?

Post by Evander »

Usyk's outside work could get the job done.
Dubois three knockdown fiasco doesn't install confidence.
Syntax Error
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Syntax Error »

Dubois seems to be made out of balsa wood, so I'm not sure if he'll even make it to the fight, but if by some miracle he doesn't get injured picking his nose or hanging out his washing, I see Usyk schooling him.

Dubois is no pushover and he can certainly crack, but he just doesn't have the tools to compete with someone like Usyk.

Usyk by UD or TKO if Dubois picks up another injury.
Last edited by Syntax Error on 31 May 2023, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
DrDuke
Featherweight

Post by DrDuke »

Easy work for Usyk.
Thomastearns
Super Featherweight

Post by Thomastearns »

This does look like a mismatch but if Dubois wants to put that Joyce fight out of his mind for good, he needs to win this.

If he does, then all will be forgotten.

The big plus for Danny is there's absolutely no pressure on him this time out.

Pressure, as we know, can often seriously affect sone fighters by stealing away their confidence.
adislav123
Super Welterweight

Post by adislav123 »

usyk isn't made of steel and not impossible to catch. if dubois catches him clean on the button it's sleepy time.

it's the heavyweights. one punch can end a fight.
Last edited by adislav123 on 02 Jun 2023, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
pound per pound
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by pound per pound »

Syntax Error wrote: 31 May 2023, 00:47 Dubois seems to be made out of balsa wood, so I'm not sure if he'll even make it to the fight, but if by some miracle he doesn't get injured picking his nose or hanging out his washing, I see Usyk schooling him.

Dubois is no pushover and he can certainly crack, but he just doesn't have the tools to compete with someone like Usyk.

This is how I see it too. Dubiois is a top 10-15 type of heavyweight. We deserve a better match as fans. Usyk wanted to give us one, Fury does did not. So Dubois is Usyk's second choice. Its a step down from beating AJ twice for Usyk.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Re: Oleksandr Usyk vs. Daniel Dubois - August 26, 2023

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Usyk-Dubois Now Set For August 26 in Wroclaw, To Align With Ukraine Independence Day

The Oleksandr Usyk-Daniel Dubois unified heavyweight title fight will now take place two weeks after its original target date.

The slight delay is for good reason. Alex Krassyuk, Usyk’s career-long promoter and head of K2 Promotions-Ukraine, revealed that the bout will now take place August 26 at Stadion Wroclaw (Tarczynski Arena Wroclaw) in Wroclaw, Poland. The switch is to align the event with Ukraine Independence Day (August 24), with a crowd of 24,000 expected in the heavily Ukrainian-populated region.

Wroclaw is home to many Ukrainians,” Krassyuk told TVP Sport. “The fight will take place at the stadium for 24,000 people. We had to change the date from August 12 to August 26. Because it is Ukraine's Independence Day. It's the perfect date to set up a fight with Dubois. We couldn't waste it.”

Usyk (20-0, 13KOs) will attempt the second defense of the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles he acquired in a September 2021 win over Anthony Joshua in North London. Their rematch last August 20 saw Usyk—a 2012 Olympic Gold medalist for Ukraine and former undisputed cruiserweight champion—earn a repeat win, though he had to settle for a strangely scored split decision to retain the titles.

His title defense versus Dubois (19-1, 18KOs) came about after collapsed talks for an undisputed championship clash versus lineal/WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury (33-0-1, 24KOs). The two sides teased for months the possibility of a springtime collision, but it never came to fruition.

The WBA then ordered Usyk to enter a title consolidation clash versus London’s Dubois, who holds the WBA ‘Regular’ heavyweight title. The matter went to a May 25 purse bid hearing won by Krassyuk with a massive bid of $8,057,000, far outpacing the $5,620,050 amount submitted by Queensberry Promotions—Dubois’ promoter—as the lone other bidder.

Usyk (20-0, 13KOs) is due $6,042,750, 75-percent of the winning bid as the WBA ‘Super’ titleholder. Dubois (19-1, 18KOs) and his team are entitled to a career-high $2,014,250 payday per the standard 25-percent as the secondary titlist fighting for a superior belt.

The winner of the fight will be the sole recognized WBA heavyweight titlist, thus eliminating the ‘Regular’ belt from existence in accordance with the sanctioning body’s ongoing title reduction campaign.

Krassyuk targeted Poland given his financial backing in the area along with the bordering nation’s increased Ukrainian population since the start of Russia’s ongoing invasion of Ukraine.

The chosen venue opened its doors in 2011, fittingly with another boxing event—national hero and two-division champ Tomasz Adamek’s failed WBC heavyweight title bid versus Vitali Klitschko who won their September 2011 meeting. Usyk-Dubois marks just the fourth boxing show to take place at the outdoor stadium.
jamesmcdonnell
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jamesmcdonnell »

Syntax Error wrote: 31 May 2023, 00:47 Dubois seems to be made out of balsa wood, so I'm not sure if he'll even make it to the fight, but if by some miracle he doesn't get injured picking his nose or hanging out his washing, I see Usyk schooling him.

Oh that did make me laugh...

He might fracture his wrists touching gloves. TKO1.
SteveO
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by SteveO »

DDD has a punchers chance in the early rounds but I expect Usyk to win on points or late rounds stoppage.
JackSprocket
Super Flyweight

Post by JackSprocket »

Dubois would've lost to Lerena hadn't the bell for some bullshit british reason rang a good 10 seconds too early, lol he has no business getting a shot at the world champion
TempleSlave
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by TempleSlave »

The match up does sound out of place although I’m feeling relatively excited about it and will definitely be watching.
Thomastearns
Super Featherweight

Post by Thomastearns »

One of the problems with boxing, at least for the fans, is that some of the top fighters are getting paid way too much.

They can easily become too comfortable and find little incentive to fight more often.

Thankfully there's still HW boxers like Dubois and Usyk (AJ, Parker, Joyce, Whyte, Chisora etc) who love the sport and want to fight as often as they can.

These types of boxers also understand the need to stay active. Inactivity for any boxer is nearly always a bad thing.

How many fights have been actually lost outside the ring? Hopefully there will be some news soon about Joshua's return to the ring.

He can't keep holding out for Fury for too much longer. Not when Joshua v Wilder could still be a blast.
apollo creed
Super Lightweight

Post by apollo creed »

Thomastearns wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 08:47 One of the problems with boxing, at least for the fans, is that some of the top fighters are getting paid way too much.

They can easily become too comfortable and find little incentive to fight more often.

Thankfully there's still HW boxers like Dubois and Usyk (AJ, Parker, Joyce, Whyte, Chisora etc) who love the sport and want to fight as often as they can.

These types of boxers also understand the need to stay active. Inactivity for any boxer is nearly always a bad thing.

How many fights have been actually lost outside the ring? Hopefully there will be some news soon about Joshua's return to the ring.

He can't keep holding out for Fury for too much longer. Not when Joshua v Wilder could still be a blast.
true. people need to be more careful and wise in spending away their hard-way earned little money.
Syntax Error
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Syntax Error »

jamesmcdonnell wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 10:14

:lol: :lol: :lol:
TempleSlave
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by TempleSlave »

Syntax Error wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 11:53

I've heard his ring walk song will be "Do you really want to hurt me" by Culture Club.
Syntax Error
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Syntax Error »

TempleSlave wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 18:38
Syntax Error wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 11:53

I've heard his ring walk song will be "Do you really want to hurt me" by Culture Club.
:lol: :lol:
That would be most apt for the Incredible Injured Man aka Daniel Dubois. :D
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Caroline Dubois Explains Why Oleksandr Uysk vs. Daniel Dubois is 50-50 Fight

"This is heavyweight boxing - the kingdom of the one-punch upsets, the one-punch knockouts,' Caroline told Mail Sport.

"I think it’s a really 50/50 fight, I’m not just saying it because he’s my brother. I just think genuinely it’s a 50-50 fight. You’d be stupid not to give Daniel a chance. You have to look at his strengths and his weaknesses, and I think Daniel’s strengths can overcome Oleksandr Usyk’s weaknesses. Oleksandr Usyk was dropped as an amateur by (Artur) Beterbiev, he’s been stopped as an amateur, he’s been hurt as a pro."

"If you look at Anthony Joshua’s limitations, I don’t think he’s very fluid. He’s a very good boxer but he lacks the ability to put his punches together very well and go for it," Caroline explained.

"We were all saying to ourselves 'if Anthony Joshua just runs at him, makes this a six-round fight, he’s got a great chance' and he couldn’t do that. But I think Daniel has a better opportunity to do that. He’s younger, he’s fresher, he’s got more energy. And I don’t think he’s as big and as muscle-bound as AJ so he probably won’t gas out as much. And if he makes this a six, seven, 10 round fight, just really goes for it, I don’t see how Usyk will be able to stop it."
fanman
Welterweight

Post by fanman »

I don't think Dubois is as good as AJ so will get picked apart in a similar way, & probably stopped.
He is a powerful guy, so there is always that danger factor, until he gasses out.
emallini
Welterweight

Post by emallini »

Would love it if Dubois destroyed him.
Ruthless-RKO
Lightweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Will be PPV in the UK.
Thomastearns
Super Featherweight

Post by Thomastearns »

Since he can't stop Dubois, Usyk will no doubt have to settle for giving him a good 12 round boxing lesson.

Given the difference in ages its not likely to be an easy night for him though.

Daniel Dubois has nothing to lose here and might do well sparring with some Light Heavyweights or Cruisers as preparation.

As they say, at HW all it sometimes takes is one punch...
Lackeos
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Lackeos »

I'm not sure who to pick :lol:
Contendeh
Super Featherweight

Post by Contendeh »

Fury hoping Dubois will do his dirty work for him, cause he can’t take care of Usyk on his own.

Usyk is gonna pick DD apart.