43%

Total votes: 211

Finkel
Super Bantamweight

Re: Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk | PPV - 18 May 2024

Post by Finkel »

jwfg wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 13:42
joshj909 wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 12:28
jwfg wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 09:47 imo, There should be five judges. And like some other sports, two of cards should be disregarded. The highest score for fighter A and the highest score for fighter b.
Interesting idea. What other sports do it that way? And does it work well in those sports?
I think it's diving and/or gymnastics. For boxing it would remove the more biased judges.
Or it would remove the influence of the steadfast judge(s) that couldn't be gotten to

Sure, in theory, this would remove the issue of some judges having an off day. But I don't think this addresses the underlying issue that most fans hope to weed out. It will merely create a facade of upstanding judging (whether true or not)
margaret thatcher
Bantamweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

Controversial wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 18:34
jwfg wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 09:47 imo, There should be five judges. And like some other sports, two of cards should be disregarded. The highest score for fighter A and the highest score for fighter b.
The thing is fans, commentators and so called “experts” can’t even agree how to score a round. I remember posting a hypothetical scenario about scoring a round where one fighter dominates the entire round and gets dropped by a punch in the last second. Most people said it should be a 10-8 round to the guy who scored the knockdown which isn’t how it should be scored.
true though tbf the situation you described very rarely happens in reality, let alone becomes the decisive difference in scoring a fight overall. i think fan cards are generally better than the official ones, albeit there's always at least one person with something wacky

olympic boxing had 5 judges and the scoring was still awful. in boxing we see crap decisions all the time when multiple judges turn in something wacky. i think better judging is deeper than just adding more judges. hell, maybe with just one judge there's more pressure to turn in a good card since you are solely accountable and blame cant be diffused between multiple people
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

margaret thatcher wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 04:44
Controversial wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 18:34
The thing is fans, commentators and so called “experts” can’t even agree how to score a round. I remember posting a hypothetical scenario about scoring a round where one fighter dominates the entire round and gets dropped by a punch in the last second. Most people said it should be a 10-8 round to the guy who scored the knockdown which isn’t how it should be scored.
true though tbf the situation you described very rarely happens in reality, let alone becomes the decisive difference in scoring a fight overall. i think fan cards are generally better than the official ones, albeit there's always at least one person with something wacky

olympic boxing had 5 judges and the scoring was still awful. in boxing we see crap decisions all the time when multiple judges turn in something wacky. i think better judging is deeper than just adding more judges. hell, maybe with just one judge there's more pressure to turn in a good card since you are solely accountable and blame cant be diffused between multiple people
Its irrelevant if it rarely happens, there should be a consistent approach to scoring it
margaret thatcher
Bantamweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

it's defo relevant, if that situation happened all the time ratther than being a mind exercise it would be vastly more important to clarify because more fights would be impacted. it's still a good thing to sort out no doubt, but let' be honest how many fights are decided by the scoring of a round like that? as it is judges already need plenty of work with seemingly straightforward 10-9 no knockdown scenarios.

the number of situations that could potentially occur in a round is utterly massive, we could have all sorts of combos of knockdowns and one guy battering the other on his feet, etc
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

margaret thatcher wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 05:07 it's defo relevant, if that situation happened all the time ratther than being a mind exercise it would be vastly more important to clarify because more fights would be impacted. it's still a good thing to sort out no doubt, but let' be honest how many fights are decided by the scoring of a round like that? as it is judges already need plenty of work with seemingly straightforward 10-9 no knockdown scenarios.

the number of situations that could potentially occur in a round is utterly massive, we could have all sorts of combos of knockdowns and one guy battering the other on his feet, etc
Except I’ve lost could how many people on forums or commentators on TV say it’s a 10-8 round as a fighter was dropped as if that’s the default score ignoring how the rest of the round went. A single knockdown in a fight is common and if all three judges score it a 10-8 round that can completely skew the overall scorecard.
big lennox
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by big lennox »

jwfg
Light Flyweight

Post by jwfg »

I noticed BoxRec aren't listing this contest as for the WBC title. Anyone know why?
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

jwfg wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 11:48 I noticed BoxRec aren't listing this contest as for the WBC title. Anyone know why?
I'm not sure, Boxrec can be a bit slow, they often list people as suspended who certainly aren't. I'm with you thought interested to know the real reason behind it.
quickeyg
Super Bantamweight

Post by quickeyg »

Do you see it?
The Gratest
Super Flyweight

Post by The Gratest »

His balls on your chin Dev?
si7dog7
Super Welterweight

Post by si7dog7 »

quickeyg wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 12:54 Do you see it?
Is that the first/second or third camp Dev?
The date on the canvas was 2 weeks ago!!!

Come on now.

This is cartoon character time.

Get back on the Allegedly Hamster Wheel.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

Is Dev Quickeyg?
The Gratest
Super Flyweight

Post by The Gratest »

Yeah. The official sphincter of Qu'nsberry Promotions.
TheLeprechaun
Welterweight

Post by TheLeprechaun »

This fight is actually a mismatch in Usyks favour. Fury is smart enough to understand that.
tonyevs
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by tonyevs »

si7dog7 wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 15:47

Come on now.

Fury certainly consistent posting on social media the week of when AJ fights .. almost like he enjoys spoiling or riding on the coat tails of AJ :TU:
jwfg
Light Flyweight

Post by jwfg »

tonyevs wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 04:23
si7dog7 wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 15:47

Come on now.

Fury certainly consistent posting on social media the week of when AJ fights .. almost like he enjoys spoiling or riding on the coat tails of AJ :TU:
Them love handles are still bouncing up and down. I can't for the life of me understand why he would come into the ring in anything other than great shape.
KiwiRider
Super Featherweight

Post by KiwiRider »

I think Fury looks great in the clip.
He was looking slimmed down a few weeks ago, now even more so.
Hopefully he lost the weight through training and eating well, and not just jamming Ozempic in his arse.
Maybe Ngannou was the wake up call he needed?
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

hahahaha loving the Ozempic comment
quickeyg
Super Bantamweight

Post by quickeyg »

Fury was swearing like no tomorrow - Sky muted the live feed. Lets hope it doesn't kick off at this press conference or at the hotel - anything could happen. They say Joshua is nervous. Fury is front row.
Cyclops
Light Heavyweight

Post by Cyclops »

Live press conference right now
The Gratest
Super Flyweight

Post by The Gratest »

I hope Fury's wearing a headguard if he's in the front row.
gregregegg
Featherweight

Post by gregregegg »

The results from today/tonight have moved the odds for this fight into a complete coin toss with the bookies. true 50-50 undisputed, bit later than ideal but pretty special.

Undercard jai vs briadis is a belter too, if you saw the first it was a great scrap, jai should of improved and bridis should have slid a bit but still an unreal fight.

Bakhodir Jalolov is pretty cool, and the saudis are pretty big on real fights... so hopfuly they give him a genuine test. (a top 25)

Moses in an 8 rounder is pretty cool if they can make it decent... (a top 75)

David Nyika is a capable cruiser prospect, mabey one day heavyweight prospect... real fight there would be fun too. (a top 50).
polecateddy
Light Heavyweight

Post by polecateddy »

Are Fury’s final two fights being outclassed by Usyk and wiped out by Joshua?
big lennox
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by big lennox »

polecateddy wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 04:28 Are Fury’s final two fights being outclassed by Usyk and wiped out by Joshua?
If he faces them. Fury is backed into a corner, now, so hopefully he does fight them both: if he doesn't fight them it will look like he's ducked them, and he will also be behind them both on the legacy list.

That said, even with contracts signed, dates booked, trailers filmed, he still managed not to box Uysk in December or February, so who knows?

But, yes, if he does face them there is more than an outside chance he finishes his career with back to back ko defeats. Although it is heavyweight boxing so one never quite knows.

Even if Fury did lose to Uysk and Joshua, his legacy will be enhanced. His legacy could really benefit from having his rivals names on his cv, win or lose.
Last edited by big lennox on 09 Mar 2024, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Boxerbeetle
Middleweight

Post by Boxerbeetle »

Fury will never fight Joshua.