How much do you pay for Boxing?

Lightsoot
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

How much do you pay for Boxing?

Post by Lightsoot »

I’ve been looking into how much money I’m spending as a boxing ‘fan’ recently. It’s a crazy amount and I’m scaling it back. I can no longer justify the costs for a sport which I’ve gradually been losing interest in / becoming more frustrated with.

My current costs are (approx):
Sky Sports channels £30 a month
TNT Sports £28 a month
DAZN £99 for 12 months
Boxing News digital sub 12 months £80
PPVs varies, sometimes I go round to friends houses and watch there or in a pub, but I probably purchase 3-4 each year, so let’s say £75
Attending shows in Manchester / Liverpool. I go with my Mrs on average twice a year, so that’s between £500 and £600 as I like decent seats

So all in, I’m paying around £1,500 a year which seems a lot, but I’m sure many people on this forum are paying more.

As some have said, there are fewer decent UK shows I wish to attend so my costs will come down. My TNT Sports and DAZN subscriptions are up next month - I don’t think I’ll renew. I’ll keep Sky Sports as I’m a football fan (EPL & EFL mainly).

I’ve not renewed my Boxing News sub and instead listen to the mag’s podcast, Bunce’s and the Sky one which I enjoy.

In addition I have got a ‘naughty’ Fire stick which I’m trialling as I’ve heard mixed reports on the ‘reliability’ of the unethical (yes I know) service. I gave up watching streams a while ago because they were so glitchy.

Anyway, interested to hear people’s views on what you do or don’t pay for, best value / money saving tips.
Boxerbeetle
Middleweight

Re: How much do you pay for Boxing?

Post by Boxerbeetle »

Boxing fans probably get fleeced more than any other sport. I've binned nearly every cost associated with boxing tbh, was finding it very difficult to justify any of the charges as being value for money.

I do have access to Sky Sports because my brother has a subscription via Now which he lets me use, but their boxing coverage has been garbage for the last few years anyway and so I wouldn't sub myself. Did used to subscribe to DAZN but cancelled out of principle when they introduced PPV after claiming they wouldn't, and their massively increased one-off monthly price means I'm unlikely to ever go back.

All in all, I'm happy enough listening on the radio or catching up on Youtube the following day. On the rare occasions a big fight is announced, it's nearly always PPV anyway so no benefit having monthly subs in place for those.
liamlion
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by liamlion »

I always think that more promoters and tv networks are not actually good for boxing, because the promoters and networks tend to keep their fighters in house meaning that the best rarely fight the best and also the cost to the consumer is way too much with the proliferation of subscription channels.

Monopolies in combat sport can be decent ala UFC with the best tending to fight the best.
joshj909
Featherweight

Post by joshj909 »

£0 on average.

I stream everything on fire stick, on laptop or watch at the pub. Watch highlights the next day for US cards. I've paid 1/4 of a PPV only once ever, split with my mates.

Haven't been to many live events because in my opinion the ones worth travelling for are way overpriced for the seats in recent years as the cards have no depth and all the big names are fighting abroad. Either that or the tickets are incredibly difficult to get. Last event at the O2 I managed to get free tickets but I did pay for one before that a few years ago which was about £100 plus about £50-£100 on drinks. I managed to sort free accommodation for that one too.
Frostieballs
Super Flyweight

Post by Frostieballs »

Boxerbeetle wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 09:25 Boxing fans probably get fleeced more than any other sport. I've binned nearly every cost associated with boxing tbh, was finding it very difficult to justify any of the charges as being value for money.
Football is pretty bad as well mate.

Sky, TNT & Amazon to get all Premier League Matches. My season ticket is £900 a year and I always spend a fortune on food and beer when I go! That doesn't even get me into cup matches and away games - which I shell out for separately!

Luckily, there is some crossover in terms of TV subscriptions between the sports.
Boxerbeetle
Middleweight

Post by Boxerbeetle »

Frostieballs wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 09:46
Boxerbeetle wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 09:25 Boxing fans probably get fleeced more than any other sport. I've binned nearly every cost associated with boxing tbh, was finding it very difficult to justify any of the charges as being value for money.

Sky, TNT & Amazon to get all Premier League Matches. My season ticket is £900 a year and I always spend a fortune on food and beer when I go! That doesn't even get me into cup matches and away games - which I shell out for separately!

Luckily, there is some crossover in terms of TV subscriptions between the sports.
£900 :oo My season ticket is £330 and I'm in the posh seats at the halfway line! You must follow a slightly bigger club :lol:
Fray Bentos
Featherweight

Post by Fray Bentos »

Nothing and it's money well saved.
Monzon83
Super Bantamweight

Post by Monzon83 »

I have Sky, TNT and Dazn. But I watch a lot of sport so it’s not just for boxing.

I do buy some PPV’s where I think it’s worth it e.g Spence/Crawford. But most of them are a rip off so I don’t bother.

Don’t watch too much live boxing anymore, not big events anyway. Pop into York Hall for the odd night, it’s not far from where I work.
Frostieballs
Super Flyweight

Post by Frostieballs »

Boxerbeetle wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 10:18
Frostieballs wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 09:46

£900 :oo My season ticket is £330 and I'm in the posh seats at the halfway line! You must follow a slightly bigger club :lol:
Brighton and Hove Albion mate. Pride of the South Coast :-)

There are far cheaper options to be honest, but the wife insists we sit on the half way line near the technical area as apparently it’s a better atmosphere.

Obviously I pay for her ticket as well!
Flyweight

Post by 514126 »

nothing anymore and I don't miss a single fight
THEBUTCH
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by THEBUTCH »

Nothing.

Skysports boxing were shite over a decade ago so I stopped subscribing and when B0xnat1on crumpled that was it for me.

Happy to watch on YouTube and listen on BBC Radio 5 or Talksport, plus the occasional live show on Channel 5.

It's surprising how quickly you adjust. It amazes me how anyone can listen to that useless twat Johnny Nelson and other plonkers :lol:

I rue the day Adam Smith got involved with boxing :witzend: It was the beginning of the end.

The presentation teams are completely overloaded with dickheads & know-nothings, bar a few expectations.

I haven't attended a boxing show for 3 years I think and the last big boxing show I went to was Josh Taylor v Ivan Baranchyk / Nayoa Inoue v Emmanuel Rodriguez.
Last edited by THEBUTCH on 24 Feb 2024, 13:15, edited 3 times in total.
Nightmare Roy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Nightmare Roy »

Nowt, go halfs to the odd ppv, sacked sky off years ago, it's a pile of shite, 100 quid a month and then PPV for bang average cards. Not subscribed to boxing news for over 10 years now.
veriton
Light Heavyweight

Post by veriton »

Boxing News £120 a year
Dazn £99 a year
TNT Sports £600 a year with fibre broadband through Virgin. Justified it because also had Champions League but have lost interest in that this season so may ditch it when contract ends depending on deal offered.

Last ppv I bought was Usyk v Dubois. Before that Eubank Jnr v Quinlas! Otherwise listen to big fights on the radio
Boxerbeetle
Middleweight

Post by Boxerbeetle »

I guess an interesting follow-up question might be "how much do you spend on boxing compared to 10 years ago"? Seems there's a pretty consistent theme in the responses that most of us have cut back considerably, and I doubt that's due to the cost of living crisis and more to do with the shit state of the sport. I used to sub to Boxing Monthly and B0xnati0n in those days, both very sadly departed.
Lenny Cravats
Super Welterweight

Post by Lenny Cravats »

Boxerbeetle wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 06:16 I guess an interesting follow-up question might be "how much do you spend on boxing compared to 10 years ago"? Seems there's a pretty consistent theme in the responses that most of us have cut back considerably, and I doubt that's due to the cost of living crisis and more to do with the shit state of the sport. I used to sub to Boxing Monthly and B0xnati0n in those days, both very sadly departed.
That is a good question.

I used to have Sky Sports and allegedly. Cancelled both of them as it just wasn't worth it when every decent fight was on PPV.

I stopped buying PPV when the quality of the cards dropped.

I haven't been to a show for years. I think the last one was one of Hatton's (maybe against Moussa). It was rough as fvck.

Current spend is £0 - unless you count the cost of the beer when I watch it down the pub.... But that's dropping as the pub don't have Dazn.
Counter-puncher
Cruiserweight

Post by Counter-puncher »

i used to go to a show every 6 weeks - 8 weeks.

haven't seen live boxing in probably a decade? i don't know- when was Froch - Bute? i'm getting old
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

I pay £10 a month for DAZN as I watch the boxing interviews/shows on top of all the boxing itself. And the random Muay Thai etc, and watch it all on laptop with headphones in so I'm not nabbing the telly.

Then £10 a month for Boxing News. It's just landed through the door actually, picture of Beterbiev on the front who is my age making me realise I'm a blob :)

Everything else I firestick.

Also pay for tickets to local shows when I can get there child/work-wise.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

Counter-puncher wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 07:21 i used to go to a show every 6 weeks - 8 weeks.

haven't seen live boxing in probably a decade? i don't know- when was Froch - Bute? i'm getting old
May 2012 that was mate. I only remember as it was just before my bday.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

veriton wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 06:11 Boxing News £120 a year
Dazn £99 a year
TNT Sports £600 a year with fibre broadband through Virgin. Justified it because also had Champions League but have lost interest in that this season so may ditch it when contract ends depending on deal offered.

Last ppv I bought was Usyk v Dubois. Before that Eubank Jnr v Quinlas! Otherwise listen to big fights on the radio
Hahahaha I thought I was the only one who paid for the Eubank Quinlon fight, £13 and it didn't work to begin with iirc! I remember laughing at the time. I think it's put ITV off boxing for life.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

I pay nothing towards boxing anymore. I get my fill of the sport through my fire stick.

I was in a very privileged position in that I lived the dream in the Frank Maloney days I was attending shows every week and sat in promoters row costing nothing.

I then went to

Mick Hennessy
Dennis Hobson
David Haye

I was then told to get a BBBofC licence by Robert Smith …

I then did a multitude of jobs including being a “whip” for

Dennis Hobson
Phil Jeffries
Steve Wraith
Steve Wood

Worked on shows

Monte Carlo
Germany
Various arenas throughout the Uk
Las Vegas

Then the dream job came along working for WBSS working on shows in

London
Manchester
Germany
Russia
Latvia
Saudi Arabia

So after reading the above you would think I would be obsessed by the sport and shell out a lot of money as a payback to boxing the sport which has given me so much. I don’t spend a penny on it.

Boxing imo treats the fans with contempt and I want no part of it.

I have had a hard time recently dealing with my unacceptable attitude.

My son works in boxing and he has invited me to a number of shows, I have only attended 1 show in my the last couple of years and that was the recent Josh Kelly fight.

People wrongly assume it’s the Parkinson’s that’s keeping me away .. don’t get me wrong the disease is a big factor to my absence but unfortunately I would be a liar to say it was the overwhelming excuse ..

I can’t because I had Parkinson’s when I worked for the WBSS.

It’s so sad to say boxing at present bores me so it won’t be getting my money.
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

I don’t subscribe to any sports channels, scrapped my DAZN one ages ago. Haven’t been to a live show for years and years. Pay for some PPVs, maybe 2 in the last year. Listen to some on radio. Stopped buying boxing magazines years ago too, have hundreds of them in my loft.
Last edited by Controversial on 22 Feb 2024, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
TheLeprechaun
Welterweight

Post by TheLeprechaun »

With all due respect, I haven't paid a penny in years and I don't intend to.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

TheLeprechaun wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 17:09 With all due respect, I haven't paid a penny in years and I don't intend to.
Boxing is a poorer place without fans like you despite my rucks with you over the years
TheLeprechaun
Welterweight

Post by TheLeprechaun »

Spud wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 17:12
TheLeprechaun wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 17:09 With all due respect, I haven't paid a penny in years and I don't intend to.
Boxing is a poorer place without fans like you despite my rucks with you over the years
In fairness you have been good value. No doubt you have irked me and will continue to annoy me I'm sure but you have been a decent character. I would genuinely like to hear more about your experiences in boxing. Frank Maloney always seemed like a very odd character. I remember he made a video from a hospital bed claiming he had a heart attack because of Terry O Connor. He broke down in tears in the post fight interview for the David Price vs Thompson 2 fight as he had put a lot into price. I would be curious of stories about Maloney if you have any, anything at all. I'm sure you have some good stories and perhaps a book could be good idea as you were on the inside and are probably mad enough to be completely honest about the characters you encountered..
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

TheLeprechaun wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 17:19
Spud wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 17:12
In fairness you have been good value. No doubt you have irked me and will continue to annoy me I'm sure but you have been a decent character. I would genuinely like to hear more about your experiences in boxing. Frank Maloney always seemed like a very odd character. I remember he made a video from a hospital bed claiming he had a heart attack because of Terry O Connor. He broke down in tears in the post fight interview for the David Price vs Thompson 2 fight as he had put a lot into price. I would be curious of stories about Maloney if you have any, anything at all. I'm sure you have some good stories and perhaps a book could be good idea as you were on the inside and are probably mad enough to be completely honest about the characters you encountered..
Frank was very very good to me …. A thoroughly entertaining character.

I had no clue whatsoever Frank,was going to become Kellie..
Last edited by Spud on 23 Feb 2024, 04:11, edited 3 times in total.