MY PHOTOS ON BOXREC

davidroake
Middleweight

MY PHOTOS ON BOXREC

Post by davidroake »

id like to know who puts my photos up on BOXREC without even asking me. i know the site encourages people to participate and that is to be welcomed. however, ive been collecting photos for over 60 years and have my own website, www.fightersFOTOS.co.uk.
i know that there are maybe even hundreds of photos which are mine and cropped off above my watermark which actually diminishes the image. in a couple of cases i can actually prove the photo is mine. please dont do it
BoxBuzz
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: MY PHOTOS ON BOXREC

Post by BoxBuzz »

Examples? Are we talking direct links? Scans that are posted? Are they your photos from your camera, that someone else took a photo of and posted? I'm not savy to all the do's and don'ts of this general topic. can you indentify a specifc example?

I'm just curious, don't think I'm guilty of it, but this may be a somewhat innocent error on someone's part.. Especially if your photos are linkable, and simply place in a thread.

Could you block your links from being posted? I do know some sites do that, and it does solve the problem from your end. IF I understand your concern.
davidroake
Middleweight

Post by davidroake »

hi boxbuzz and thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.
As i said, im all for boxing fans to be able to contribute to John's site as he intended but annoyed that some people put up photos which ive toiled long and hard to locate without even consulting me. i have over 6000 photos of top fighters from around the World mainly from the 20th century some of which have cost me a lot of time and effort and in some cases money to obtain. They are then cropped and put up on the site by someone else taking just a few minutes. i know i cant stop this happening but feel its extremely rude
Ive attached 3 examples, Johnny Bee, a British middleweight title challenger and i know that is the only image of him in existance, Chris Finnegan, a photo bought from a friend of mine and i know the copyright belongs to him as he took the photo. Finally, there is a photo of Billy Quinlan, the old Welsh featherweight acquired from a fellow collector who is no longer with us. I can prove this is mine as the line down the front of his nose didnt exist on the picture until i pencilled it in and can be removed with an erasor
If youd care to look online my website is www.fightersFOTOS.co.uk
With best wishes, David Roake (my email : [email protected])
Sorry, i cant work out how to attach photos. if youd like to let me have your email address ill send the pictures
John
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by John »

Hi David,
the photos are contributed by lots of people, if they have violated your copyright just let ne know and I will delete immediately. You can email photos to [email protected]

cheers, John
davidroake
Middleweight

Post by davidroake »

hi John and thanks for replying to my post.
im not really complaining as i dont really have any copyright to my photos except that i have collected them for the last 60 years and as ive said gone to great lengths to get some of them. Then i get slightly annoyed when they appear cropped above my watermark by someone else who has not done that research and not just one or two. i understand that your site is there for everyone to participate in and its good that it is that way.
i will send a few to [email protected] and if you look and possibly they find their way to 'BoxBuzz' who replied to my post you will see what i mean
Ive attached 3 examples, Johnny Bee, a British middleweight title challenger and i know that is the only image of him in existence, Chris Finnegan, a photo bought from a friend of mine and i know the copyright belongs to him as he took the photo so ive credited it to him on my site. Finally, there is a photo of Billy Quinlan, the old Welsh featherweight acquired from a fellow collector who is no longer with us. I can prove this is mine as the line down the front of his nose didnt exist on the picture until i pencilled it in and can be removed with an erasor
All in all your site is excellent John although some of the records are incomplete but again you are relying on others
i hope this post finds you in the very best of health...with best wishes, david roake
klompton
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by klompton »

If you dont have a copyright on them they arent YOUR photos and are free game for anyone to repost them.
davidroake
Middleweight

Post by davidroake »

Totally agree klompton. i dont have copyright on any of my photos and im just expressing my disappointment that people are copying my photos from my website without even asking. ive been collecting photos for many years and have gone to great lengths to obtain them including a three day trip to France looking for a former French champion. It took me 10 years to find a photo of Corporal Brown the former English heavyweight so you can perhaps understand why i get a bit annoyed with others who have not put in that amount of effort....best wishes, david