5) Draw
29%

Total votes: 31

Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

How would you score this round?

Post by Controversial »

Fighter A completely dominates from the opening bell in round one. He lands numerous punches on fighter B and doesn’t take a punch in return. Fighter B is hurt a few times and wobbled but doesn’t go down. Commentators say he should be pulled out if it continues to be so one sided.. In the last few seconds of the round fighter A lands a hard punch and goes for the finish as fighter B looks in big trouble. The ref is close to jumping in to stop it but fighter B throws a desperate haymaker that catches fighter A clean and drops him for a flash knockdown. Fighter A jumps straight back up looking embarrassed but is given a count as the bell goes ending the round.

How do you score the round? 10 points must system.
dookus
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: How would you score this round?

Post by dookus »

Either 10-9 to Fighter A (if it was so one-sided it would have been 10-8 in his favour without his being knocked down) or a draw (if it would have been 10-9 to Fighter A without the knockdown)
Frostieballs
Super Flyweight

Post by Frostieballs »

Oh no - not this again!!!
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

Frostieballs wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 09:47 Oh no - not this again!!!
:OhYes:
jwfg
Light Flyweight

Post by jwfg »

Controversial wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 03:56 Fighter A completely dominates from the opening bell in round one. He lands numerous punches on fighter B and doesn’t take a punch in return. Fighter B is hurt a few times and wobbled but doesn’t go down. Commentators say he should be pulled out if it continues to be so one sided.. In the last few seconds of the round fighter A lands a hard punch and goes for the finish as fighter B looks in big trouble. The ref is close to jumping in to stop it but fighter B throws a desperate haymaker that catches fighter A clean and drops him for a flash knockdown. Fighter A jumps straight back up looking embarrassed but is given a count as the bell goes ending the round.

Doesn't it depend on the governing body?
gilgamesh
Super Middleweight

Post by gilgamesh »

I'd give it to the guy that scored the knockdown.
oogiebe
Super Welterweight

Post by oogiebe »

gilgamesh wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 13:33 I'd give it to the guy that scored the knockdown.
Maybe 10-9 though.
gilgamesh
Super Middleweight

Post by gilgamesh »

oogiebe wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 13:59
gilgamesh wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 13:33 I'd give it to the guy that scored the knockdown.
Maybe 10-9 though.
Yep.

I actually have a precedent for this I believe from the Calvin Brock vs Jameel McCline fight back in the day. There was a round I recall in that fight when McCline heavily dropped Brock, and then Brock proceeded to kick the sh*t out of him for the majority of the round after that. Pretty sure I scored it 10-9 McCline.
Dioufy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Dioufy »

Controversial wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 03:56 Fighter A completely dominates from the opening bell in round one. He lands numerous punches on fighter B and doesn’t take a punch in return. Fighter B is hurt a few times and wobbled but doesn’t go down. Commentators say he should be pulled out if it continues to be so one sided.. In the last few seconds of the round fighter A lands a hard punch and goes for the finish as fighter B looks in big trouble. The ref is close to jumping in to stop it but fighter B throws a desperate haymaker that catches fighter A clean and drops him for a flash knockdown. Fighter A jumps straight back up looking embarrassed but is given a count as the bell goes ending the round.

10-10
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

9-9? Is that a thing?
Frostieballs
Super Flyweight

Post by Frostieballs »

10 points must….
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

If the rules state the winner of the round must get 10 points (10 points must system) fighter A might win the round 10-8 on some scorecards as it was so one sided (excluding any knockdowns). If you then add in the knockdown he would still win 10-9 as the knockdown is worth one point. If you had fighter A winning 10-9 (ignoring the knockdown) then it would be 10-10 (including the knockdown)

So for me it’s either 10-9 fighter A or 10-10 draw. A knockdown shouldn’t cancel out everything the other fighter done. If you say fighter B wins the round you are effectively giving them 3 or 4 points for a knockdown.
Crease
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Crease »

10-8 to Fighter B (just because of the knockdown)

Obviously Fighter A clearly won the round, but a KD does matter - whether ts be a heavy fall or a tap of the glove to the canvas, it all counts as the same thing (not that I agree with that) but I'm just saying what I think the majority sort of think. Especially the casual fans.
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

Crease wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 20:08 10-8 to Fighter B (just because of the knockdown)

Obviously Fighter A clearly won the round, but a KD does matter - whether ts be a heavy fall or a tap of the glove to the canvas, it all counts as the same thing (not that I agree with that) but I'm just saying what I think the majority sort of think. Especially the casual fans.
Yeah, I think depending on the ruling body, a knockdown ensures that the round is scored 10-8
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

Coco wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 20:11
Crease wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 20:08 10-8 to Fighter B (just because of the knockdown)

Yeah, I think depending on the ruling body, a knockdown ensures that the round is scored 10-8
No because a knockdown is only worth one point. You score the round excluding the knockdown and give 10 points to the winner of the round. So fighter A wins the round either 10-9 or 10-8 depending how you view it. Then you adjust the card by one point for the knockdown making it 10-10 or 10-9 round for fighter A. Those are the rules laid down by the BBBoC. If you said fighter B wins 8-10 you have dismissed all of fighter A’s work and given fighter B 3 or 4 points for scoring a flash knockdown
Crease
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Crease »

Controversial wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 20:22No because a knockdown is only worth one point.
Is that accurate though? I'm really not too sure mate, I think a knockdown gets you the round and it's sorta automatically called a 10-8.
It's just one of those things... I don't really know if it's an unspoken thing, but it's something which we always see being done.
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

Crease wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 20:35
Controversial wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 20:22No because a knockdown is only worth one point.
Is that accurate though? I'm really not too sure mate, I think a knockdown gets you the round and it's sorta automatically called a 10-8.
It's just one of those things... I don't really know if it's an unspoken thing, but it's something which we always see being done.
This was kinda my point of the post, so many people say you win 10-8 if you score a knockdown but the actual rules don’t say that. You give 10 points to the winner of the round, then you adjust by one point for knockdowns or point deductions.
Crease
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Crease »

Controversial wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 20:43This was kinda my point of the post, so many people say you win 10-8 if you score a knockdown but the actual rules don’t say that. You give 10 points to the winner of the round, then you adjust by one point for knockdowns or point deductions.
You may be right, mate, I just don't know. You probably know the rules better than me... Maybe that's just a perception that I have developed myself, I don't know.
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

BBBoC Rules

The way in which a Referee should take a knockdown into account is to consider it as a one- point advantage to the Boxer who has scored the knockdown. The following examples illustrate how this works:
(a) Boxer A knocks down Boxer B once, A also wins the round. Score: 10-8 to A (as a normal winning round would be 10-9 to A, but A gains a further one-point advantage for the knockdown).
(b) A knocks down B once, but the round is even. Score: 10-9 to A (as an even round would be 10-10, but A gains a one-point advantage for the knockdown).
(c) A knocks down B once but B wins the round. Score: 10-10 (as a normal winning round for B would be 10-9 to B, but A gains a one-point advantage for the knockdown).
(d) A knocks down B twice, and A also wins the round. Score: 10-7 to A (as a normal winning round would be 10-9 to A, but A gains two further one-point advantages for the knockdowns).
(e) A knocks down B twice, and A also wins the round widely, putting B under heavy pressure. Score: 10-6 to A (as a very one-sided winning round can be scored 10-8 to A, even without any knockdowns, A also gains two further one-point advantages for the knockdowns).
(f) A knocks down B once, B knocks down A once, and A wins the round. Score: 10-9 to A (as a normal winning round would be 10-9 to A, and the knockdowns cancel each other out).
(g) A knocks B down twice, B knocks down A once, and A wins the round. Score: 10-8 to A (as a normal winning round would be 10-9 to A; A’s first knockdown cancels out B’s knockdown, but A gets a one-point advantage for scoring the second knockdown).
(h) A wins the round, which is very one-sided although no knockdown is scored. Score: 10-8 to A (as a very one-sided winning round can be scored 10-8).
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

The 10-Point Must System for Boxing

The modern boxing scoring system, also known as the 10 Point Must System, was first introduced in 1968 by the World Boxing Council (WBC) as a rational way of scoring fights.

To summarize briefly, here is how it works:

The scoring is carried out by three ringside judges.

The boxers begin a round with 10 points each - judges ‘must’ award them 10-10.

The boxer who receives the most clean punches loses a point, and the judges score the round 10-9.

If the boxer is knocked down, they lose an additional point - the judges score it 10-8.

If the boxer is knocked down a second time, they lose an additional point - the judges score it 10-7.

If a boxer dominates the round but also gets knocked down, the judges score it 9-9.

If a boxer completely dominates a round, the judges may score it 10-8, even without a knockdown.

If both fighters score a knockdown in the same round, the deductions cancel each other out, though the judges may still award the more dominant boxer 10-9.

If the referee deducts a point, this is calculated after the initial score - even if the boxer wins the round.

If the boxers are evenly matched for the round, the judges score it 10-10.

At the end of 12-rounds, assuming the fight goes the distance, the tallies of all three judges are added up to determine three final scores.

For example, if Boxer A won eight rounds and lost four, they get eight scores of 10 and four of 9 making (80 + 36) 116. If Boxer B won four rounds and lost eight, they get four scores of 10 and eight of 9 making (40 + 72) 112.
Greg Houston
Welterweight

Post by Greg Houston »

In amateur/Olympic style boxing, it would 10-8 to A as knockdowns and standing counts have no impact on scoring the round.
lefthook82
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by lefthook82 »

It's wrong but I'm scoring it 10-8
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

Follow the BBBoC guidelines, the fighter scoring the knockdown would still lose the round 10-9
jwfg
Light Flyweight

Post by jwfg »

Frostieballs wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 16:30 10 points must….
Rightly or wrongly, there have been rounds scored without a 10.
Controversial
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Controversial »

This just goes to show why scorecards can vary so much!