Garcia - Decision
4%

Total votes: 53

Ruthless-RKO
Super Featherweight

Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia | DAZN PPV - April 20, 2024

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Ryan Garcia contacts Team Haney for 2024 fight, Devin confirms discussions

Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney both say their teams are talking for a fight in 2024.

Ryan Garcia appears to be trying to give boxing fans what they want, as he says his focus is now on making a fight with Devin Haney, not Rolly Romero.

After initially saying he wanted to fight WBA titleholder Romero first, then new WBC titlist Haney, Garcia took the question to fans on his X (Formerly Twitter) page a few days back.

It appears the majority of the response he heard was in favor of going after Haney first, and that Ryan is doing what he can to oblige.

“I’ve advised my team to contact [T]eam Haney to discuss and make the fight happen between Devin and I,” Garcia said on social media.

Haney was quick to legitimize Garcia’s claim, simply responding, “These are facts.”

“The ball is in your court, Devin, I’ve made my move and I’m showing you and the boxing community that I’m committed to this fight.”

Garcia (24-1, 20 KOs) and Haney (31-0, 15 KOs) are pretty much perfectly synced up to fight in terms of their schedules — Garcia stopped Oscar Duarte on Dec. 2, and Haney dominated Regis Prograis seven days later to take the WBC belt at 140 lbs.

Haney, 25, has been calling for a fight with Gervonta “Tank” Davis, who beat Garcia in one of 2023’s biggest fights at a 136 lb catchweight, but it seems pretty clear that fight isn’t going to happen. Haney feels Davis doesn’t really want the fight, and there are many reasons it won’t go through.

Haney vs Garcia, then, becomes the biggest-money fight Devin can do. WBO titleholder Teofimo Lopez also has strong name value, but is with Top Rank and ESPN, while Haney and Garcia are with different promoters — Matchroom and Golden Boy, respectively — but promoters who share the same broadcast partner in DAZN.

Long story short, if Garcia could get Golden Boy to, eventually, “cross the street” with PBC and make a Davis fight this year, which involved Showtime and DAZN having to come to an agreement, too, then making a fight with Haney should be a piece of cake, relatively.
Last edited by Ruthless-RKO on 15 Apr 2024, 05:21, edited 5 times in total.
Ruthless-RKO
Super Featherweight

Re: Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia - Who wins?

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

gregregegg
Featherweight

Post by gregregegg »

This is a good fight, and honestly I think it’s kinda close to a 50-50… even though even is better than Garcia, I like the matchup.

Garcia won’t win without hurting Haney… but I think that’s well within the realm of possibility.
golden_labrador
Super Flyweight

Post by golden_labrador »

definitely a better match up than Tank for Garcia but the only way he's winning it is with a stoppage
handsofstone
Super Middleweight

Post by handsofstone »

Garcia's told his team to make the Romero fight, bigger fight apparently, much easier fight clearly but what a pisstaker
gregregegg
Featherweight

Post by gregregegg »

handsofstone wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 15:30 Garcia's told his team to make the Romero fight, bigger fight apparently, much easier fight clearly but what a pisstaker
Garcia should be telling his team to try make both. And the teo fight too.

You don’t want to be stuck negotiating 1 fight, makes you weak in negotiations and fucked if they go a different path.

There are 3 clear choices for Garcia, Haney, teo, rolly. Best to be trying for all of them. And all are good options.
Ruthless-RKO
Super Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Apparently, Garcia has divorced his wife soon after she gave birth to their son.
Ruthless-RKO
Super Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

amwsnw
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia - April 20, 2024

Post by amwsnw »

i dont think Haney loses a round.
Monzon83
Super Bantamweight

Post by Monzon83 »

This might be Haney’s chance to get a stoppage. I don’t see any chance Garcia gets anything but a schooling here.
Sendo Takeshi
Minimumweight

Post by Sendo Takeshi »

Getting stopped by Tank is one thing, getting your ass dominated by Haney could hurt his career more though.

Still, props to him. Fighting Tank and Haney inside one year is crazy.
gregregegg
Featherweight

Post by gregregegg »

Haney has been chinny. (With a giant weight cut) and is not a puncher…

Haney still a favourite but Garcia a very live dog. Styles make fights and I like this matchup for Garcia.

Also love 2 young prime guys making a deal not in Saudi.
Ruthless-RKO
Super Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Devin Haney, Ryan Garcia Reach Terms WBC Title Fight, To Headline April 20 DAZN PPV In Las Vegas

Devin Haney and Ryan Garcia have transformed years of talk into a budding superfight.

Boxing Scene has confirmed that a deal was reached for the pair of young stars to meet atop an April 20 DAZN pay-per-view event. Both sides acknowledged to Boxing Scene that advanced talks rapidly progressed to agreed terms, in line with breaking news reports from Daily Star’s Chris McKenna and ESPN’s Mike Coppinger of the bout’s status.

Haney will defend his WBC junior welterweight title versus Garcia at a location to be determined in Las Vegas.

The development concludes a matchup more than three years in the making, when Garcia (24-1, 20KOs) held an interim version of the WBC lightweight title owned at the time by Haney (31-0, 15KOs). Both fighters went in separate directions but have still emerged as two of the biggest stars in the sport at just 25 years of age.

Talks were reignited last December after both posted wins one week apart.

Garcia scored an eighth-round knockout of Mexico’s Oscar Duarte last December 2 in Houston, Texas. The feat put him back in the win column after a seventh-round knockout defeat to Gervonta ‘Tank’ Davis (29-0, 27 KOs) in their non-title fight last April 22 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Davis-Garcia became the highest-grossing boxing event of 2023, though Garcia has used that opportunity to reshape his own career and become a star on his own merit.

Those changes included a trainer switch to Derrick James, with the win over Duarte marking their first official fight together.

Las Vegas’ Haney became a two-division titlist one week after Garcia’s win, when he soundly outpointed Regis Prograis to win the WBC 140-pound title. The bout headlined a December 9 DAZN Pay-Per-View from Chase Center in his birth town of. San Francisco, California.

It marked the official end to Haney’s undisputed lightweight championship, as he vacated all the belts prior to the bout. Haney held the WBC lightweight title since October 2019 and made seven successful defenses.

Three came in undisputed championship meetings. Haney claimed back-to-back wins over George Kambosos (21-2. 10 KOs) to fully unify and subsequently defend in their pair of 2022 bouts in Melbourne, Australia. He then followed with a 12-round decision over former three-division titlist Vasiliy Lomachenko (17-3, 11 KOs) last May 20 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Talks between Haney and Garcia were previously brief. Garcia abandoned negotiations with WBA 140-pound titlist Rolando ‘Rolly’ Romero to pursue Haney’s WBC title before he abruptly ended broke off in January to revisit a potential Romero clash on the reserved April 20 date.

Garcia was led to believe that a fight with Romero was close, only to learn through the media that Romero would instead face Isaac ‘Pitbull’ Cruz as part of a March 30 Amazon Prime PPV event in Las Vegas.

From there, Haney and Garcia picked up where they previously left off. Massive progress was made despite red herrings through social media from both boxers and Garcia’s Hall of Fame promoter Oscar De La Hoya.

Terms were officially reached overnight, with a formal announcement expected in the coming days if not before close of business.
Perseus
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia | DAZN PPV - April 20, 2024

Post by Perseus »

This is similar to the Mayweather vs Gatti clash.

A rising p4p star getting exposure against a very popular but limited opponent.
ironbeard
Super Bantamweight

Post by ironbeard »

Good fight due to puncher’s chance but Haney should handle Garcia with little trouble. Ryan’s new trailer trash shoulder roll is about to get him in trouble.
Ruthless-RKO
Super Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

tonyevs
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by tonyevs »

Sendo Takeshi wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 03:46 Getting stopped by Tank is one thing, getting your ass dominated by Haney could hurt his career more though.

My thoughts too - losing ugly to Haney could have him delegated into the Jake Paul category of celebrity boxer only.
Monzon83
Super Bantamweight

Post by Monzon83 »

tonyevs wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 13:53
Sendo Takeshi wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 03:46 Getting stopped by Tank is one thing, getting your ass dominated by Haney could hurt his career more though.

My thoughts too - losing ugly to Haney could have him delegated into the Jake Paul category of celebrity boxer only.
I think that’s ultimately where he ends up. Instagram fighter is how I’ve always thought of him.
JxhDel.
Featherweight

Post by JxhDel. »

Garcia is fast, but Haney can predict him easily and snap back all night.
gregregegg
Featherweight

Post by gregregegg »

When is the last time a boxer tried to fight 2 ring rated p4p guys within a year? plus garcia had an inbetween fight.

Gotta respect ryan garcia chasing big fights.
Les Norton
Super Flyweight

Post by Les Norton »

Haney wins 11-12 rounds, provided Garcia doesn’t quit once the going gets tough
Ruthless-RKO
Super Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

Devin Haney vs Ryan Garcia moves to Brooklyn’s Barclays Center

Devin Haney and Ryan Garcia will now have their fight at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center, Oscar De La Hoya announced this evening.

The fight will still take place on April 20, but previous named site Las Vegas didn’t have a suitable venue available for the date, apparently, which you’d think someone might have looked into beforehand, but the fight is still on for the original date.

Haney (31-0, 15 KOs) will be defending his WBC super lightweight title for the first time, having taken that belt off of Regis Prograis in a dominant performance on Dec. 9 in San Francisco.

Garcia (24-1, 20 KOs) will be in his first world title fight, most recently beating Oscar Duarte on Dec. 2 in Houston, a bounce-back from his 2023 loss to Gervonta “Tank” Davis.

Haney vs Garcia will likely be a DAZN pay-per-view, but the company has been getting a little skittish about announcing pay-per-views too far out, preferring to market early as “live worldwide on DAZN,” which will still be true even if it’s pay-per-view, and there’s a technicality in there because the fight will be on DAZN in most markets internationally, so they’re not lying or anything. This is very “boxing.”
KiwiRider
Super Featherweight

Post by KiwiRider »

amwsnw wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 07:12 i dont think Haney loses a round.
I get that feeling too.
Definitely going to watch the fight, but I don't think it is going to be that close.
Ruthless-RKO
Super Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

DEVIN "THE DREAM" HANEY: WBC SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT WORLD CHAMPION:

“DAZN, they put the bounty up. On April 20th I'm capturing the bounty and we coming home with the victory inshallah.”

"KING" RYAN GARCIA, SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT WORLD TITLE CONTENDER:

“When I first came into the game, I just wanted to make a bunch of money and then I did that. But now I want to go for the legacy, I wanna go for the belts and Devin's in the way. I'm on my vengeance arc. I'm ready to get back in blood in everything so I'm coming straight for his neck. I promise you, I'm coming straight for you, it's going to be ugly.”

OSCAR DE LA HOYA, CHAIRMAN AND CEO OF GOLDEN BOY:

“This is the weight class to watch, this is the fight to watch, the best fighting the best. When I started Golden Boy, that was my vision to have the best fight the best and we're here now today. I'm super excited because when you build a star you must fight in New York."

If you guys didn't know they fought 6 times already in the amateur and they're three and three, so this one does count. This fight here is like they say - for all the marbles - this fight here is to see who the best fighter at 140-pound division."

BERNARD HOPKINS, PARTNER OF GOLDEN BOY:

“So now that we are here a lot of us gotta be mindful when we ask for something because what you ask for, you might not want when you get it. These two young fighters, these two young men, not kids, gotta understand that to be great you must do great things and fight the best in the division… and that’s what Golden Boy’s set out to do.”

BILL HANEY, MANAGER, DEVIN HANEY PROMOTIONS:

“An assignment that Devin sent me to do was to approach the only human being that's a Hall of Fame fighter and a Hall of Fame promoter and thats Oscar de la Hoya. I put the honest on him, I said listen when you were when you were Hall of Fame fighter you fought everybody so as a Hall of Fame promoter I put the honest on you that you are now going to make the fight between two guys in their prime just like you did.”