Smith - Decision
30%

Total votes: 20

Ruthless-RKO
Super Featherweight

Adam Azim vs. Dalton Smith - Fight Ordered

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

SHALOM SAYS AZIM-SMITH COULD BE ONE OF BRITISH BOXING’S BIGGEST FIGHTS

Promoter Ben Shalom has not ruled out Adam Azim clashing with Dalton Smith yet, after the EBU mandated a fight between two of Britain’s brightest prospects.

Slough’s Azim defended his European super-lightweight title against Enock Poulsen last weekend at Wembley, when Poulsen’s shoulder popped out and he could not continue.

Azim, aged 21, will now likely be out until March, while Smith takes a big step up against Jose Zepeda in his hometown of Sheffield on March 23.

This morning, the EBU called for bids for the contest between 15-0 Smith and 11-0 Azim, and while many think the bout will not happen, just yet, Shalom would not rule it out.

“No not necessarily,” said the Boxxer head. “That fight’s going to happen. It’s similar to a [Fabio] Wardley-[Frazer] Clarke, it’s a natural. It’s a [Kell] Brook-[Amir] Khan fight, it’s a special fight. It’s a big, big domestic fight. I think it’s more a matter of when, and I’ll have to speak to Adam and his team and things like that, but the plan is to not hold up his career and the plan is to build a superstar.”

Boxxer has been on a journey trying to bring fighters through, and one of their hottest prospects is Azim, and another is his stablemate Caroline Dubois.

“I think there is a responsibility to build superstars and that fight [Azim-Smith] has all the makings of one of the biggest British grudge matches in this era and [would] probably be a Box Office event, so I think it’s a matter of when – and that will be up to Adam,” Shalom added.

“Adam has Ramadan now, so he’s going to be out of action for a bit, but he’s ready now for the big fights. His dream was to become the youngest world champion [from the UK], and that’s still his dream. I think he was very frustrated against Enock Poulsen and not getting the knockout and he was taking his time and then there was the injury…

“It’s hard for me to say, without me sitting down with him and his team, exactly what fight is next, but the plan was always to fight in May, it is to fight in May, and fight someone who will help him get to his world title ambitions, climb the rankings and get towards that, given he’s pretty much beyond European level. I think that pretty much shows in every fight he has.”

Azim is just 21, Dubois is 23, and while Shalom wants them to both hits the heights, he is also in no hurry to rush them – although he is certain Dubois will box for a world title in her next bout.

“I think people sometimes forget how young these guys are, and yes, they’ve had the platform and yes, they’re developing really quickly, but they’ve got 10-15 years [ahead of them] in the sport and I want to try and keep their feet on the ground,” Shalom explained. “It’s slightly different to Ben Whittaker, who’s 26, 27. These are very, very young athletes who have decided to jump into the pro game and want a long career.”
Last edited by Ruthless-RKO on 08 Feb 2024, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
higgs88
Light Heavyweight

Re: Adam Azim vs. Dalton Smith - Fight Ordered

Post by higgs88 »

Boxxer won't let this happen. Pathetic company. Shalom is the biggest downgrade in history
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

Naseem Hamed would have dived in on it with both feet
TheGun13
Super Flyweight

Post by TheGun13 »

Everyone knows how this one plays out: Hearn will bid big, Azim will want to take it, Shalom won't let him.
Ruthless-RKO
Super Featherweight

Post by Ruthless-RKO »

jwfg
Light Flyweight

Post by jwfg »

TheGun13 wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 09:35 Everyone knows how this one plays out: Hearn will bid big, Azim will want to take it, Shalom won't let him.
Yep. SKY must be reading the small print on their contract.
jameswilson
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jameswilson »

Are they gonna sh1t it????
a force
Light Heavyweight

Post by a force »

I don’t really get the stick Shalom gets as a result of the Wardley - Clarke purse bids.

He said he wanted his man to do a longer fight first before he fought for the British & he was true to his word & has now put that fight on.

Even if Smith - Azim doesn’t happen next I’m confident they’ll try & put it on down the line. For all of Hearn’s talk Dalton Smith is not well known round here. I don’t even think it could sell Sheffield arena never mind Hillsborough. It’s not a big fight yet.

Shane McGuigan’s also got a track record of taking on tough challenges with his fighters so I don’t see him as an obstacle like for instance a Joe Gallagher could be in the past.
Oiky
Super Lightweight

Post by Oiky »

Smith batters him.
smiling assassin
Middleweight

Post by smiling assassin »

Oiky wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 07:06 Smith batters him.
Do you rate smith highly mate or just not think too much of Azim. I think smith wins as well but think it will be a close fight early with smith pulling away later on
Oiky
Super Lightweight

Post by Oiky »

I rate Smith quite highly. Yeah 100% Azim will turn up, just think Smith is quality. :box:
BigDoofus
Lightweight

Post by BigDoofus »

Oiky wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 08:13 I rate Smith quite highly. Yeah 100% Azim will turn up, just think Smith is quality. :box:
I wasn’t over impressed when he fought Benjamin.
TheLeprechaun
Welterweight

Post by TheLeprechaun »

Dalton is very boring in there. I've no particular interest in seeing the fight. If Azim and his team swerved this, it wouldn't be a big deal to me. It's not like Dalton is some fearsome guy. He spends most of the fight doing nothing. Virtually all his fights could have ended way earlier than they did. A guy behaving like that in the ring doesn't really get you clamouring to see his fights.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

TheLeprechaun wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 10:03 Dalton is very boring in there. I've no particular interest in seeing the fight. If Azim and his team swerved this, it wouldn't be a big deal to me. It's not like Dalton is some fearsome guy. He spends most of the fight doing nothing. Virtually all his fights could have ended way earlier than they did. A guy behaving like that in the ring doesn't really get you clamouring to see his fights.
I enjoyed the Maxwell and Appleyard fights. It would be good I think to see them take the fight at this stage a bit like Groves-Degale.
jwfg
Light Flyweight

Post by jwfg »

In Eddie's recent interviews, he's saying he's happy for the fight to be on SKY and is trying to goad Shalom into making him an offer. I don't see the fight happening.
cpx2
Bantamweight

Post by cpx2 »

jwfg wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 05:18 In Eddie's recent interviews, he's saying he's happy for the fight to be on SKY and is trying to goad Shalom into making him an offer. I don't see the fight happening.
Boxxer don't want the fight for Azim, that much is clear. It's the logical move for Eddie to put it on their plate and let them take the fallback for the fight not happening. I would say it's not entirely one sided. Eddie might be comfortable that Dalton beats Azim but I think he knows it's not a huge fight yet, this talk of Hillsborough is a bit delusional if genuine. Probably doesn't want to take a massive hit on the show.
TheLeprechaun
Welterweight

Post by TheLeprechaun »

SeanBrennan wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 17:24
TheLeprechaun wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 10:03 Dalton is very boring in there. I've no particular interest in seeing the fight. If Azim and his team swerved this, it wouldn't be a big deal to me. It's not like Dalton is some fearsome guy. He spends most of the fight doing nothing. Virtually all his fights could have ended way earlier than they did. A guy behaving like that in the ring doesn't really get you clamouring to see his fights.
I enjoyed the Maxwell and Appleyard fights. It would be good I think to see them take the fight at this stage a bit like Groves-Degale.
Dalt is effective at what he does and I'd pick him to beat Azim but it's just the way he prolongs fights when you know the fight is over as a contest. He's just dragging the fight on and on and on and on. Maybe he has hand problems? I think he will struggle to build a following unless he starts going for it when guys are hurt. This is the time of your career where you are building the habits that will stay with you as a fighter.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

TheLeprechaun wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 11:08
SeanBrennan wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 17:24
Dalt is effective at what he does and I'd pick him to beat Azim but it's just the way he prolongs fights when you know the fight is over as a contest. He's just dragging the fight on and on and on and on. Maybe he has hand problems? I think he will struggle to build a following unless he starts going for it when guys are hurt. This is the time of your career where you are building the habits that will stay with you as a fighter.
very good points. Are fighters trained by his father typically reluctant like that? I only know of him and Sunny.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

Alss, I agree with those who suspect the fight wont happen
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

Hearn is very confident it won't
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

SeanBrennan wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 17:47 Hearn is very confident it won't
Who would win.?

Is Either overrated?
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

Spud wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 10:28
Who would win.?

Is Either overrated?
I don't think Azim is overrated, he's just only 22 so there is no rush.
olij999
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by olij999 »

SeanBrennan wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 12:04
Who would win.?

Is Either overrated?
I take the point about there being no rush, but holding titles comes with responsibilities. if the fight's been ordered by the EBU and Azim or those around him don't want the fight, then he needs to relinquish the title. I hope the fight happens, though - a loss is unlikely to hurt either of them in the long term, and Shalom saying it needs to be built into a PPV fight is frankly ridiculous. That comment from Shalom has the same lack of realism that was in play in the early 2000s re Secret Williams / Takaloo / Steve Roberts and the rest, who all should have fought each other.

And imagine the equivalent in a very similar situation in early 1973 - "No, John Conteh, I know you've got the European title already, but you're not fighting Chris Finnegan for the British, Commonwealth and European because you're not 22 until the end of May and we need to build you up." FFS.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

olij999 wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 14:29

Who would win.?

Is Either overrated?
I take the point about there being no rush, but holding titles comes with responsibilities. if the fight's been ordered by the EBU and Azim or those around him don't want the fight, then he needs to relinquish the title. I hope the fight happens, though - a loss is unlikely to hurt either of them in the long term, and Shalom saying it needs to be built into a PPV fight is frankly ridiculous. That comment from Shalom has the same lack of realism that was in play in the early 2000s re Secret Williams / Takaloo / Steve Roberts and the rest, who all should have fought each other.

And imagine the equivalent in a very similar situation in early 1973 - "No, John Conteh, I know you've got the European title already, but you're not fighting Chris Finnegan for the British, Commonwealth and European because you're not 22 until the end of May and we need to build you up." FFS.
I wasn't saying a belt holder has a right to hog a belt citing age, I was saying he's 22 and may wish to fight a certain fight at a later date. That's just good management.
margaret thatcher
Bantamweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

olij999 wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 14:29

Who would win.?

Is Either overrated?

these days guys are really babied based on their age. even fighters in their mid-late 20s talked about like theyre still kids and shouldnt have any stiff tests yet

it is striking how much quicker fighters used to be brought up. they tended to have far more fights by a young age too

aziz has been matched pretty well so far, but if he's not ready to defend vs a certain opponent then ya he should give it up