Croft twins leaving GB squad

jlh
Cruiserweight

Croft twins leaving GB squad

Post by jlh »

Admittedly, I don't know a huge deal about them both but 6 senior major championship medals and then quitting the amateur scene 5 month before the Olympics seems odd. Anyone able to shed any light on this ?

Full article below -

Twins Ioan and Garan Croft have left the Great Britain podium squad five months before the 2024 Paris Olympics.

The 22-year-old Welsh pair's move was announced by Welsh Boxing.

On social media Ioan stated it was "time for us to move to the next chapter of our boxing careers".

Welsh Boxing head of performance Adam Park said: "Everyone at Welsh Boxing would like to thank Garan and Ioan for their immense contribution to the Performance Programme."

Park added: "Whilst we are sad to see both leave the GB Boxing Programme at this point in the Olympic cycle we wish them nothing but success in their future endeavours.

"They have acted with professionalism throughout their time in the programme and have always made time for the next generation coming through the programme."
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Re: Croft twins leaving GB squad

Post by SeanBrennan »

odd time to depart, presume they're going pro. Both medalled at Euros, good talent on paper.
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

jlh wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 12:08 Admittedly, I don't know a huge deal about them both but 6 senior major championship medals and then quitting the amateur scene 5 month before the Olympics seems odd. Anyone able to shed any light on this ?

Full article below -

Twins Ioan and Garan Croft have left the Great Britain podium squad five months before the 2024 Paris Olympics.

The 22-year-old Welsh pair's move was announced by Welsh Boxing.

On social media Ioan stated it was "time for us to move to the next chapter of our boxing careers".

Welsh Boxing head of performance Adam Park said: "Everyone at Welsh Boxing would like to thank Garan and Ioan for their immense contribution to the Performance Programme."

Park added: "Whilst we are sad to see both leave the GB Boxing Programme at this point in the Olympic cycle we wish them nothing but success in their future endeavours.

"They have acted with professionalism throughout their time in the programme and have always made time for the next generation coming through the programme."
Don't know either, I'll ask my pal who knows them well.
5 months before the Olympics! Had they actually already qualified?
You would assume that they are going pro, but fairly unknown boys from West Wales don't attract a lot of money, especially without Olympic medals!
Maybe they have fallen out with someone, or not qualified?
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

There was only one spot going because of reduced weight classes, they didn't want to fight each other to settle it and essentially thought we both go or nothing
The_Don1
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by The_Don1 »

Coco wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 12:17 There was only one spot going because of reduced weight classes, they didn't want to fight each other to settle it and essentially thought we both go or nothing
makes a lot of sense, I don't follow the amateur scene too closely, thanks for the insight.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

Coco wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 12:17 There was only one spot going because of reduced weight classes, they didn't want to fight each other to settle it and essentially thought we both go or nothing
that is really admirable, I'd have told my brother yeah I'll leave, wait til he announces it then said no i'll stay...
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

As of yet they haven't signed pro, but are exploring their options
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

Coco wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 16:34 As of yet they haven't signed pro, but are exploring their options
best of luck to them.
Tarquin Tarpaulin IV
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Tarquin Tarpaulin IV »

They've been on the Podium squad since 2021 and don't appear to have featured highly in the selection list with England's Lewis Richardson given the first chance of qualification for Paris 2024.

The IOC have decimated the natural weight classes for men to accommodate the female groups. Down from 12 weights to 7 with the removal of Welter and Middleweight leaving many boxers lost at sea, packing on or draining weight to try and comply.

PARIS 2024 Men's Weights ( to reduce to 6 if boxing appears at Los Angeles 2028)
51kg
57kg
63.5kg
71kg
80kg
92kg
+92kg
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

ah that's a bit rubbish isn't it.