Duran vs Barkley: 35 Years After the Famous War

elmersalsa
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Duran vs Barkley: 35 Years After the Famous War

Post by elmersalsa »

On this date, on a snowy Friday night of February 24, 1989, the great Roberto Duran of Panama wins his fourth world crown in his fourth weight class against champion Iran Barkley of The Bronx, NY.

It was one of the greatest fights in recent years. A back and forth slugfest for the ages. A brutal and grueling affair that both fighters deserve a round of applause for their great performance.

This man, Duran, the Hands of Stone, proved to me and a lot of people with this win that he is the greatest boxer pound per pound since 1965. If he's not the best fighter pound per pound ever, at least, in my view, he's top 5.

Any list that is not included the great Muhammad Ali nor Duran in the top 5 all-time pound per pound, is laughable. Is bogus.

How did Duran do it? I don't know. I haven't seen nobody else to come back after being written off again and again and again.

What a fight!

Your thoughts.
bennie
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Duran vs Barkley: 35 Years After the Famous War

Post by bennie »

Duran loved the east coast.
goose 5
Super Bantamweight

Post by goose 5 »

I had it 115-112 Duran and made money on the fight. Great, great fight. I remember how well Barkley fought- hooking off the jab and landing great body shots that failed to yield dividends . Duran was amazing in his technique and conditioning.
BTW, the undercard bout between Michael Carbajal and Will Grigsby was a very good four rounder.
NazNaci1
Cruiserweight

Post by NazNaci1 »

As a truly great and fabulous fighter, Duran was and he did show some amazing skills in that fight, it was so close. Barkley could have got the decision, could have been a draw, too.

Anyways, was awesome watching Duran, his skills, instincts, defensive technique and amazing ring generalship against a much bigger, stronger hard hombre like Iran.
Ambling Alp II
Super Welterweight

Post by Ambling Alp II »

I had Duran winning by a point. Knockdown was the difference. Competitive fight between a good but fighter and a once great one.
elmersalsa
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by elmersalsa »

When The Hands of Stone received that big left hook shot in round 8 from Iran "The Blade" Barkley, I thought that the fight was over. What a shot! But, like a great champion, he had heart.

Why he didn't quit then? I don't. He could have. He could have wilted after that shot and called it a career. He could have said in his mind "Well, I gave everything I had. The guy is hitting me at will. He is bigger and stronger. I am 37 and washed up. People will understand. Plus, I am very tired. And I will leave this ring as a legend. Nobody will criticize me!" But, no.

Roberto Duran kept going. In round ten, it was like if Duran got a second wind. He peppered Barkley with shots of left and rights to Barkley's eye. The eye closed more and more by the eleventh round.

In round eleven, a left, right, left right combination put Barkley down on the canvas, believe it or not. The crowd roared and cheered. Some cried for joy. Some were in disbelief. Barkley went down. He couldn't see the punches coming. His eye at that point was shut.

And even though Barkley was down, he got up. How did he? I don't know. He could have said "That's it! I hit this man with everything I had and never went down. I am tired. My eye is shut. Why I want more punishment? Let me stay down! I lost to a legend!" But, no. Barkley, like a great champion, got up and finished the fight.

Both men showed tremendous heart and determination that night. It was Duran's last hurrah and most courageous performance in my view.

I am sorry, but this fight convinced me that Duran is a top 5 all-time pound per pound. The same way I feel for Muhammad Ali. Both guys are top 5 all-time pound per pound in my view.
goose 5
Super Bantamweight

Post by goose 5 »

I'm curious: how did you guys score round 1 ?
elmersalsa
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by elmersalsa »

goose 5 wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 19:45 I'm curious: how did you guys score round 1 ?
I've scored it 10-9 for Duran. He hurt Barkley on that round. A round that Barkley was winning, but Duran in my view stole it putting Barkley on queer street.
bennie
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by bennie »

Barkley did well for much of the round but then got caught at the end and was staggered, making it 10-9 for Duran, in my opinion. I just checked the scores. Two of the judges had it 10-9 to Duran and the third, 10-10.
NazNaci1
Cruiserweight

Post by NazNaci1 »

Yup, 1st round for Duran. Barkley was winning it but that big counter right, stunned and buckled him, right at the end of the round.
BoxBuzz
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by BoxBuzz »

The greatest lesson learned from that fight was that as boxing goes.....Duran>Hearns....so long as he can evade him. lol. Styles and fights cover most of it....however I don't think Duran respected Tommy's power. In a second go, he just might have found a bicycle and a safer method. Duran didn't have Hagler's chin....well no one had Haglers chin....cept maybe Monzon.

But Barkley sure flummoxed Tommy. Odd set of relational factors there.
Ambling Alp II
Super Welterweight

Post by Ambling Alp II »

Always thought Barkley-Hearns was a little deceiving. Hearns was doing pretty well in the first fight until he got hurt. The second fight was close. Always thought that Hearns could beat Barkley.
BoxBuzz
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by BoxBuzz »

Ambling Alp II wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 22:04 Always thought Barkley-Hearns was a little deceiving. Hearns was doing pretty well in the first fight until he got hurt. The second fight was close. Always thought that Hearns could beat Barkley.

Me too....and he didnt' Aint that somethin'? Just cuz two brilliant folks such as you and I think it, and even with our vast experience and diverse backgrounds agree on it....it don't make it so.

It beats everthing ya ever saw!