Who has had the better career so far: Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua?

Who has had the better career so far?

Poll runs till 16 Nov 2026, 17:13

Anthony Joshua
63%
Tyson Fury
37%

Total votes: 63

Perkin Warbeck
Super Bantamweight

Who has had the better career so far: Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua?

Post by Perkin Warbeck »

I think Anthony Joshua has had the better career. He's not perfect, but he's conducted himself better inside and outside of the ring. He's never avoided anyone and has defeated multiple contenders. He easily stopped Otto Wallin, while Fury struggled against the same man.

Tyson Fury has tested positive for PEDs. He deserved to lose to a boxing novice Ngannou with fair judges. He also should have a decision loss to McDermott. With any other referee he would have been stopped against Wallin and in the first fight with Wilder. Fury has retired/unretired multiple times, boasted about cocaine use, and avoided decent opposition for most of his career.

Fury avoided two scheduled rematches with Klitschko, wasting the old fighter's time, and ballooned up in weight to well over 300 pounds. In the fall of 2022 he avoided Usyk and instead fought Chisora. Then he pretended he wanted to fight Usyk last summer, but instead signed to fight a boxing novice and showed up in poor physical condition. Now in 2024 once again he's delayed the fight with Usyk.
gregregegg
Featherweight

Re: Who has had the better career so far: Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua?

Post by gregregegg »

Probably hinges on the usyk fight coming up.
joshj909
Featherweight

Post by joshj909 »

Joshua has:
- More title defences
- More top 10 wins
- Defeated three champions
- One successful unification
- Two time unified world champion
- Beat the same guy that Fury beat as his best win (Klitschko)
- Made more money (I don't care about it but some people use it as a measuring stick)

Fury has:
- Ended Klitschko's reign
- Defeated 2 champions
- Undefeated but has a draw
- Two time World champion but only once unified
- 1 failed drug test

As mentioned though, their careers are not over yet...
CMCanavessi
Flyweight

Post by CMCanavessi »

joshj909 wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 18:07 - Undefeated but has a draw
A "draw"
joshj909
Featherweight

Post by joshj909 »

CMCanavessi wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 09:09
joshj909 wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 18:07 - Undefeated but has a draw
A "draw"
Also has a few "wins" too
Noxy
Welterweight

Post by Noxy »

Perkin Warbeck wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 17:13 I think Anthony Joshua has had the better career. He's not perfect, but he's conducted himself better inside and outside of the ring. He's never avoided anyone and has defeated multiple contenders. He easily stopped Otto Wallin, while Fury struggled against the same man.

Tyson Fury has tested positive for PEDs. He deserved to lose to a boxing novice Ngannou with fair judges. He also should have a decision loss to McDermott. With any other referee he would have been stopped against Wallin and in the first fight with Wilder. Fury has retired/unretired multiple times, boasted about cocaine use, and avoided decent opposition for most of his career.

Fury avoided two scheduled rematches with Klitschko, wasting the old fighter's time, and ballooned up in weight to well over 300 pounds. In the fall of 2022 he avoided Usyk and instead fought Chisora. Then he pretended he wanted to fight Usyk last summer, but instead signed to fight a boxing novice and showed up in poor physical condition. Now in 2024 once again he's delayed the fight with Usyk.
It says something that you only write about Fury in your post. He’s just more interesting than Joshua. More interesting than most to be fair.
Contendeh
Super Featherweight

Post by Contendeh »

It’s pretty close and both are definitely behind Usyk as the best heavy of this era.

At least AJ has fought Usyk, despite losing twice.
tonyevs
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by tonyevs »

Usyk fought his way to be recognised as undisputed cruiserweight champion, won most of the heavyweight titles and fighting his was to being undisputed too.

Usyk has the respect of pretty much everyone in boxing and will have a far better legacy to be looked back at.

I don't think Fury comes close to achieving that.

I think Fury's career will be remembered in a similar way as Nik Valuev's ... there are just so many similarities to not just Valuev's appearance but also reign.
Bobbyptsd
Middleweight

Post by Bobbyptsd »

This forum is absolutely delusional when it comes to Fury, I don't know why though I have an idea.
Joshua has three losses and somehow has the better career than undefeated champion Fury.
Oh yeah that makes sense.
Joshua loses to a 300 lb Ruiz and (a great fighter but undersized) Usyk and somehow winds up above undefeated Fury who has several comparable wins (Whyte, Klitschko) and won his biggest fights rather than lose them (Wilder)?
As I said, delusional.
tonyevs
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by tonyevs »

I agree. Some here are either bonkers or totally clueless :TU:

It's almost like people don't recognise the difference between fighting good opposition and picking up an occasional loss (and having the courage to rematch them straightaway, instead of say, 'retiring')and fighting weak opposition and avoiding the loss and still looking sh1t against that weak opposition :maybe:
Thomastearns
Super Featherweight

Post by Thomastearns »

tonyevs wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 03:18 Usyk fought his way to be recognised as undisputed cruiserweight champion, won most of the heavyweight titles and fighting his was to being undisputed too.

Usyk has the respect of pretty much everyone in boxing and will have a far better legacy to be looked back at.

I think Fury's career will be remembered in a similar way as Nik Valuev's ... there are just so many similarities to not just Valuev's appearance but also reign.

Yes, he's well on the way to being sidelined as a boxing curio, a footnote in the history.

Perhaps another Butterbean as well, bigger but not as likeable.

And yet, there's one thing that should not be forgotten when it comes to Tyson Luke Fury - when it comes to making money, he's one of the very best there's been.

He may be many things, a manipulative serial liar, a devious drug cheat, but he's certainly no fool.
Perkin Warbeck
Super Bantamweight

Post by Perkin Warbeck »

tonyevs wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 04:26 I agree. Some here are either bonkers or totally clueless :TU:

It's almost like people don't recognise the difference between fighting good opposition and picking up an occasional loss (and having the courage to rematch them straightaway, instead of say, 'retiring')and fighting weak opposition and avoiding the loss and still looking sh1t against that weak opposition :maybe:
:TU:
tonyevs
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by tonyevs »

Thomastearns wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 10:48
tonyevs wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 03:18 Usyk fought his way to be recognised as undisputed cruiserweight champion, won most of the heavyweight titles and fighting his was to being undisputed too.

And yet, there's one thing that should not be forgotten when it comes to Tyson Luke Fury - when it comes to making money, he's one of the very best there's been.

He may be many things, a manipulative serial liar, a devious drug cheat, but he's certainly no fool.
I'd argue differently sorry.

Tyson Fury has just been in the right place at the right time; it's been identified too many times how Wlad was there for the picking after such a long career, and Wilder was just .. well, sh1t :verysad:

Fury imploded straight after beating Wlad. Getting caught using PEDs prob exacerbated that .. but he scared off sponsors with his homophobic, antisemitic and sexist remarks.
He had a great story on his comeback, and for awhile the public bought into the likeable mentally fragile fat guy beating the odds to becoming the champion again ... But once again he imploded with his crass and at times offensive statements that have ensured no big companies want to sponsor him. That's got to be potentially costing him millions each year.

Joshua is sponsored Under Armour, Hugo Boss, Land Rover, and Jaguar. All big names giving him a nice passive income.

Tyson Fury has in contrast Wow Hydrate (that stuff they sell cheap on Amazon or Home Bargains) and the Gypsy King clothing line that only Tyson Fury and his dad wear.

Nope - Tyson Fury has regularly come to work out of shape and scared off big money sponsors all risking/impacting his earning potential. He has only demonstrated being a fool regarding earning opportunities.
soul_survivor
Welterweight

Post by soul_survivor »

AJ has had the better career. Just look at the facts:

AJ - fought 4 fighters who were champions when he fought them (Martin, Parker, Usyk and Ruiz), has had 2 unification bouts and defended the belts against 7 top 10 ranked opponents across the major governing bodies.

Fury - has fought only two fighters who had belts at the time of asking, has never unified and in his last 10 fights only fought 2 top 10 ranked opponents...and one of them he faced 3 times.

If Fury beats Usyk, which I believe is likely and depending on the manner of victory, then we can say Fury has had the better career.
oogiebe
Super Welterweight

Post by oogiebe »

Both are great examples why we should assess a fighter's 'greatness' once their careers are over. Both have had ups and downs. I remember all the posts about either being an all time great. Well, I don't think so.
Jaywheel
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Jaywheel »

Bobbyptsd wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 00:43 This forum is absolutely delusional when it comes to Fury, I don't know why though I have an idea.
Joshua has three losses and somehow has the better career than undefeated champion Fury.
Oh yeah that makes sense.
Joshua loses to a 300 lb Ruiz and (a great fighter but undersized) Usyk and somehow winds up above undefeated Fury who has several comparable wins (Whyte, Klitschko) and won his biggest fights rather than lose them (Wilder)?
As I said, delusional.
:TU: When did you start posting back here? You've been away for years no?
Minimumweight

Post by 1502587 »

soul_survivor wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 10:15 AJ has had the better career. Just look at the facts:

AJ - fought 4 fighters who were champions when he fought them (Martin, Parker, Usyk and Ruiz), has had 2 unification bouts and defended the belts against 7 top 10 ranked opponents across the major governing bodies.

Fury - has fought only two fighters who had belts at the time of asking, has never unified and in his last 10 fights only fought 2 top 10 ranked opponents...and one of them he faced 3 times.

If Fury beats Usyk, which I believe is likely and depending on the manner of victory, then we can say Fury has had the better career.
What are the key factors to consider when evaluating a boxer's career success? Can you tell me?
ironbeard
Super Bantamweight

Post by ironbeard »

There are decent arguments both ways.

I lean towards AJ for two reasons:

1. Wallin: Anyone on Earth but Fury in the Wallin fight would have been stopped. There is 0 credible argument against that.

Joshua ruined Wallin.

2. Ngannou: decent arguments can be and are made that Fury v Ngannou was a draw and could have gone Ngannou’s way.

Joshua destroyed Ngannou.

Get back to me if Fury:
1. Actually gets in the ring with Usyk.
2. Defeats Usyk.
Lenny Cravats
Super Welterweight

Post by Lenny Cravats »

Well, if you look at common opponents, AJ has beaten Wallin and Ngannou much easier than Fury did.
Whyte was beaten handily by both, but did wobble Joshua a bit.
Fury almost killed the audience against Klitschko - who was just as much the guilty party in one of the worst 'fights' I've ever seen. I think there's a bit of revisionism going on about that fight and how it was a Fury masterclass.
It was close.
AJ had an up and down tumble and finished it decisively.
AJ smashed Johnson quickly, whereas Fury took a decisive, and dull, 120 decision.

The only point of arguement is where you put Wilder - and with the mauling that he just got from Parker probably drops him a fair bit.

Joshua has consistently faced better opposition and performed better against shared opponents.

The Usyk fight could change things, but it would be the first time that Fury has done better against an opponent than AJ.

For me, for now, it's AJ. Definitely.
DrDuke
Featherweight

Post by DrDuke »

Legacy-wise Fury edges. He's undefeated, he won the fresher Klit and has the positive record in the 'big 4' mix.

Joshua is still more successful commercially and has more good secondary names in the list.
KiwiRider
Super Featherweight

Post by KiwiRider »

DrDuke wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 01:28 Legacy-wise Fury edges. He's undefeated, he won the fresher Klit and has the positive record in the 'big 4' mix.

Joshua is still more successful commercially and has more good secondary names in the list.
Undefeated with a bit of luck.
Fury has PED fails, not saying everyone else is clean, but fails all the same. That always casts a shadow over a fighters whole career IMO.
DrDuke
Featherweight

Post by DrDuke »

KiwiRider wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 15:27
DrDuke wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 01:28 Legacy-wise Fury edges. He's undefeated, he won the fresher Klit and has the positive record in the 'big 4' mix.

Undefeated with a bit of luck.
Fury has PED fails, not saying everyone else is clean, but fails all the same. That always casts a shadow over a fighters whole career IMO.
All of them are juiced, I don't believe in the clean professional sport. The bodybuilder Joshua is a one of the least trustworthy to be clean.
JackSprocket
Super Flyweight

Post by JackSprocket »

I'll answer this after May...