The Heavyweights….

Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

The Heavyweights….

Post by Spud »

For sometime the UK heavyweights have lived a charmed life in that a number of fighters have fought for World titles …

And in Tyson Fury and AJ we have had the best heavyweights in the world.

Will the UK continue to have the best heavyweights
In the world l, if so who will step up?

Obviously Uleksandr Uysk is banging on the number 1 door, but what other foreign fighters are ready to step into world class?
jwfg
Light Flyweight

Re: The Heavyweights….

Post by jwfg »

Spud wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 13:21 Uleksandr Uysk is banging on the number 1 door,
He's already opened the door, gone inside and closed it. Usyk holds all but one of the belts including the Ring and he's #1 with BoxRec and the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board. Luke is #4 with BoxRec, only holds the WBC title and Lennox Lewis is the lineal champion. Ain't no banging on the door.
SteveO
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by SteveO »

jwfg wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 13:31 Lennox Lewis is the lineal champion.
Once a fighter has permanently retired they are no longer the lineal champion and a new lineage is created.
si7dog7
Super Welterweight

Post by si7dog7 »

SteveO wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 15:34
Once a fighter has permanently retired they are no longer the lineal champion and a new lineage is created.
Thats fine
Then why has Fury been given that moniker?
It’s all a nonsense really.
Lineage is absolute fugazi!!! What about other weights?
A bloody cesspool. Lineal my arse.
jameswilson
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jameswilson »

si7dog7 wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 15:42
Thats fine
I think they decided a new lineage was created when Wladimir Klitschko beat Ibragimov.
si7dog7
Super Welterweight

Post by si7dog7 »

jameswilson wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 16:40
si7dog7 wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 15:42

Thats fine
I think they decided a new lineage was created when Wladimir Klitschko beat Ibragimov.
Well “they” were wrong.
When the titles were split it became a spaghetti of bs.
There is no lineal title.
It’s complete bs.
You know this James.
Don’t perpetuate this myth.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

big big question Spud. I hope Kabayel goes on to win a title, excellent attitude in a fight.
jwfg
Light Flyweight

Post by jwfg »

SteveO wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 15:34 permanently retired.
Are you saying it's only permanent if someone doesn't come back?
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

Lewis is the Emeritus and champion in recess champion
stujones
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by stujones »

Heavyweight devision is so shit, after Klitchscko we had to wait for a Cruiserweight to come to spark some life into it, and I think after Usyk we will be doing the same.

Sorry - Fury has done more talking than fighting the last 8/9 years and never was sold on Wilder. Joshua is just a current generation Bruno.

Usyk vs Opetaia would be quite something though.

Yes, Fury might beat Usyk - but I hope for the sake of the division he doesn't as it will be a shit show of talking etc.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

stujones wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 09:44 Heavyweight devision is so shit, after Klitchscko we had to wait for a Cruiserweight to come to spark some life into it, and I think after Usyk we will be doing the same.

Sorry - Fury has done more talking than fighting the last 8/9 years and never was sold on Wilder. Joshua is just a current generation Bruno.

Yes, Fury might beat Usyk - but I hope for the sake of the division he doesn't as it will be a shit show of talking etc.
I am a big fan of Uysyk … but i was very disappointed with the Dubois performance
stujones
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by stujones »

Spud wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 10:01
stujones wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 09:44 Heavyweight devision is so shit, after Klitchscko we had to wait for a Cruiserweight to come to spark some life into it, and I think after Usyk we will be doing the same.

I am a big fan of Uysyk … but i was very disappointed with the Dubois performance
Oh don't get me wrong - I don't think his performances have been breathtaking in any of his fights really at Heavyweight, but stylistically he is a relatively small Cruiserweight, quite a bit the wrong side of 30 and style wise probably not suited to the heavyweight game. The fact he is a unified world champion shows that 1 - How blooming good he was in his pomp at Cruiserweight 2 - How shit the Heavyweight division is.

He is a "thinking" fighter with a great defence but with a tendency to gradually pick it up as he is going one - often in the low gears, feeling his opponent and then gradually breaking their spirit. Not really a good style when you are much the smaller guy. Very different to say an Evander Holyfield who had a great engine and had the capacity to out work you from the off - which was much more suited against the bigger heavyweights.

The fact Usyk also hasn't really become remotely close to losing at Heavyweight is also something - sorry I thought he lost 2 rounds vs Chisora at best and the Dubois thing WAS low (it is so funny no hearing Eddie Hearn agree with his new BFF that it is not low) and he again pretty much won every round there also.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

I change my mind an awful lot concerning the heavyweight scene.

My current trail of thought is “Fast Car” could be right in his latest sales pitch… AJ will fight for the undisputed Title.

I am totally convinced Fury is way past his best. Which means we will see AJ fight Uysk for a
3rd time.
SteveO
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by SteveO »

jameswilson wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 16:40 I think they decided a new lineage was created when Wladimir Klitschko beat Ibragimov.
I think it was in 2009 when Wladimir Klitschko beat Ruslan Chagaev.
The #1 and #3 boxers fought to decide it.
Vitali was the #2 boxer but the brothers would not fight each other.
margaret thatcher
Bantamweight

Post by margaret thatcher »

see i thought he won that easily and boxed fine, dubs won 1 round at tops for me and got knocked out.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

margaret thatcher wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 15:52

see i thought he won that easily and boxed fine, dubs won 1 round at tops for me and got knocked out.
me too, I think it was the whining after that muddied it.
coneye
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by coneye »

Think the heavyweight div is heading for very bleak days , My forecasts are Fury is finished shortly , be it he retires , Usyk retires him , or his body just can't do it no more , either way i don;t think he has long left ,, Usyk becomes undisputed and retires , Aj hangs around long enough to become champ again after Usyks gone , then retires , and were left with very little to write home about
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

coneye wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 18:44 Think the heavyweight div is heading for very bleak days , My forecasts are Fury is finished shortly , be it he retires , Usyk retires him , or his body just can't do it no more , either way i don;t think he has long left ,, Usyk becomes undisputed and retires , Aj hangs around long enough to become champ again after Usyks gone , then retires , and were left with very little to write home about
there are some good heavies about I think, however bleak is seems currently

Kabayel
Hunter
Bakole
Hrgovic
Nistor
Dubois
Hughie
Parker
Anderson
Sanchez
Pero
si7dog7
Super Welterweight

Post by si7dog7 »

Forget Lineal /Emeritas

Yes, Lennox was the last and would have boxed/ blasted this lot away.
It doesn’t really matter.
I’ve got in this order.
Usyk
AJ
Luke
Parker
Zhang

Wilder about 10. Always thought this.
si7dog7
Super Welterweight

Post by si7dog7 »

SeanBrennan wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 18:53
coneye wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 18:44 Think the heavyweight div is heading for very bleak days , My forecasts are Fury is finished shortly , be it he retires , Usyk retires him , or his body just can't do it no more , either way i don;t think he has long left ,, Usyk becomes undisputed and retires , Aj hangs around long enough to become champ again after Usyks gone , then retires , and were left with very little to write home about

Kabayel
Hunter
Bakole
Hrgovic
Nistor
Dubois
Hughie
Parker
Anderson
Sanchez
Pero
Good God!! We’ll need Proud Kilimanjaro and Lou Savarese back in play to make this competitive!
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

si7dog7 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 18:59
SeanBrennan wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 18:53

Kabayel
Hunter
Bakole
Hrgovic
Nistor
Dubois
Hughie
Parker
Anderson
Sanchez
Pero
Good God!! We’ll need Proud Kilimanjaro and Lou Savarese back in play to make this competitive!
How dare you mock Saverese, he fought for the IBA Americas HW Title!

He lost for it on points....
si7dog7
Super Welterweight

Post by si7dog7 »

😂😂😂
Never mock anyone who put the gloves on my friend.
But
When we talk about eras?
The heavyweight one ended at Lewis v Vitaly

Apart from AJ v Ancient Wlad. It’s been dismal

Ok we had the pub fights of Fury and Wilder.
But not much else

Lower weights is where its at 👊
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

si7dog7 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 19:16 😂😂😂
Never mock anyone who put the gloves on my friend.
But
When we talk about eras?
The heavyweight one ended at Lewis v Vitaly

Apart from AJ v Ancient Wlad. It’s been dismal

Ok we had the pub fights of Fury and Wilder.
But not much else

Lower weights is where its at 👊
I know mate, I've got some straws and am clutching at them. Let me wallow in my delusion :lol:

I do still love HW boxing even if it's lower level.