What Was The Reason For Tyson Fury Ducking David Price?

jwfg
Light Flyweight

What Was The Reason For Tyson Fury Ducking David Price?

Post by jwfg »

Genuine question, I'm not just prodding the bear. Any ideas? Doofus, could you give us an inside perspective.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Re: What Was The Reason For Tyson Fury Ducking David Price?

Post by SeanBrennan »

Tyson claims it was due to money https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/b ... id-6841825 or at least he did a decade ago.

Boxing Scene chatted on it a few years ago https://www.BS.com/forums/boxi ... avid-price

and Bleacher chatted on it at the time

and Price's views on it in 2022 https://boxing-social.com/news/david-pr ... IaTEDrEBdE
MasterG
Super Bantamweight

Post by MasterG »

The 2012 Price stops a shite 2012 Fury.
forcefraser
Cruiserweight

Post by forcefraser »

He was clear on this at the time.

He saw no merit in beating a big stiff idiot
jwfg
Light Flyweight

Post by jwfg »

forcefraser wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 14:34 a big stiff idiot
Yeah, but what about Price?
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

jwfg wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 15:41
forcefraser wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 14:34 a big stiff idiot
Yeah, but what about Price?
hahahahaah ba dum bum booooom
ALI
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by ALI »

Price is just another name Fury could have and should have fought but did not.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

ALI wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 19:24 Price is just another name Fury could have and should have fought but did not.
do you think he dodged him though? not trying to cause argument, just interested mate
jameswilson
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jameswilson »

SeanBrennan wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 19:28
ALI wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 19:24 Price is just another name Fury could have and should have fought but did not.
do you think he dodged him though? not trying to cause argument, just interested mate
The route he ended up taking involved much less risk was my feeling.

But we now look back with hindsight and I reckon Tyson would have done what Tony Thompson actually did do.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

jameswilson wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 19:49

But we now look back with hindsight and I reckon Tyson would have done what Tony Thompson actually did do.
yeah. would have been a good fight to watch
Coco
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Coco »

SeanBrennan wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 20:11
jameswilson wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 19:49

yeah. would have been a good fight to watch
At that point Fury wasn't very defensively cute, and Price wasn't at all gun-shy.

However the Scouser would have needed to get him out early as he can't fight more than 8 at a decent pace.

Fury may well have broken his heart by getting up!!
stevec@france
Bantamweight

Post by stevec@france »

cus he wud have bean battered out in no time :yay:
J-C
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by J-C »

Fury's religious views meant he didn't want to be seen to endorse Price and Bellew's alternative lifestyle and undermine the traditional family.
jonp
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jonp »

Porbably because he dropped him when he beat him as teenager. Maybe left a few bad memories
THEBUTCH
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by THEBUTCH »

I think that was the first sign of things to come with Fury. It was so disappointing Fury didn't face Price with the British title on the line :verysad:

I would have backed Fury to beat Price, but it wasn't Price who did the ducking.
ALI
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by ALI »

Fury went fought Klitschko in Germany when he reigned supreme, and went and fought Wilder in the USA when he was seen as a killer, so its hard to call him a ducker, but there is a growing list of names he should or at least could have fought and did not. Its a bad look for the man who claims to be the best ever.
jwfg
Light Flyweight

Post by jwfg »

ALI wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 12:46
its hard to call him a ducker
He gave up the British title rather than fight his mandatory, that is 100% a duck.
jamesmcdonnell
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jamesmcdonnell »

Fury went fought Klitschko in Germany when he reigned supreme, and went and fought Wilder in the USA when he was seen as a killer, so its hard to call him a ducker, but there is a growing list of names he should or at least could have fought and did not. Its a bad look for the man who claims to be the best ever.
It's a shame he swerved the rematch with Vitali, the fight was definitely close enough to warrant it, but Fury went on a 2 year long bender instead.
Lenny Cravats
Super Welterweight

Post by Lenny Cravats »

jamesmcdonnell wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 13:41

It's a shame he swerved the rematch with Vitali, the fight was definitely close enough to warrant it, but Fury went on a 2 year long bender instead.
I'd rather have lose a finger than watch a rematch of that fight.
Right though, it was very close. I think there's a fair bit of revisionism about how well Fury did.
Wlad did nothing, Fury did a little bit more than nothing.
If the decision would have gone to Wlad, it wouldn't have been memorably controversial.
jwfg
Light Flyweight

Post by jwfg »

jamesmcdonnell wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 13:41 Fury went on a 2 year long bender instead.
Which just happened to coincide with him failing a drug test. :TU:
jamesmcdonnell
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jamesmcdonnell »

Lenny Cravats wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 13:45
jamesmcdonnell wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 13:41

I'd rather have lose a finger than watch a rematch of that fight.
Right though, it was very close. I think there's a fair bit of revisionism about how well Fury did.
Wlad did nothing, Fury did a little bit more than nothing.
If the decision would have gone to Wlad, it wouldn't have been memorably controversial.
I suspect Wlad would have been quite a bit more lively in a rematch. The fact is, we will never know as Fury went on the missing list.

Agreed, it was up there with the worst heavyweight title bouts of all time.

All in all, Fury's career has been poor in terms of what he has done as champion. I'll be glad when he's gone.

If he's to redeem himself, at least a bit, he has to beat Usyk, and do it convincingly.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

I think that's a very fair comment mate.
Crease
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Crease »

I think looking at Tyson's career in general, his supporters and critics both take things to the extremes...

His critics don't actually get him enough credit for defeating Wlad and Wilder (multiple times) away from home. You do have to say that they are outstanding achievements no matter how you dress it up. I even give him credit for accepting his mandatory (Whyte) and dispatching of him handily, then defeating Chisora... Granted he already beat him, but Del Boy was a ranked challenger and there wasn't many options at the time, when most were tied up in upcoming fights...

His supporters, even the strongest of them have to admit that there are some of them opponents who had no right being in the ring with Tyson - particularly Seferi and Schwarz... And i'd also probably throw in Wlad's old sparring partner, Pianeta - he had been done for years at the top level.

So yeah, a balanced approach is probably the best way to look at it. A top fighter with some great wins, but he also fought some very limited guys...
wrighty
Lightweight

Post by wrighty »

Crease wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 05:36 I think looking at Tyson's career in general, his supporters and critics both take things to the extremes...

His critics don't actually get him enough credit for defeating Wlad and Wilder (multiple times) away from home. You do have to say that they are outstanding achievements no matter how you dress it up. I even give him credit for accepting his mandatory (Whyte) and dispatching of him handily, then defeating Chisora... Granted he already beat him, but Del Boy was a ranked challenger and there wasn't many options at the time, when most were tied up in upcoming fights...

His supporters, even the strongest of them have to admit that there are some of them opponents who had no right being in the ring with Tyson - particularly Seferi and Schwarz... And i'd also probably throw in Wlad's old sparring partner, Pianeta - he had been done for years at the top level.

So yeah, a balanced approach is probably the best way to look at it. A top fighter with some great wins, but he also fought some very limited guys...
So you think he needs to fear element?
Frostieballs
Super Flyweight

Post by Frostieballs »

Crease wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 05:36 I think looking at Tyson's career in general, his supporters and critics both take things to the extremes...

Balance always tends to be the best approach!

I am no defender of Tyson, I am not really a fan, but it also seems to have been written into history that he ducked Price.

Do we know this for a fact?

In all these situations there always loads of factors at play.... Rival promoters, TV companies with contracts and purse expectations.... Promoters wanting to build it up to a bigger fight. Could be any of those as well.