Heavyweight

Pinklon Thomas vs Gerry Cooney

Post by Nile4000 »

15/Hwy, who wins?
goose 5
Super Bantamweight

Re: Pinklon Thomas vs Gerry Cooney

Post by goose 5 »

Very good match ! I wouldn't put it past the Cooney who fought Holmes to win this one .
oogiebe
Super Welterweight

Post by oogiebe »

Top form Thomas crushes top form Cooney.
Joson
Light Flyweight

Post by Joson »

It could go either way, and definitely ends in knockout.

Cooney might very well jump on Pinklon early, forcing him on the defensive, then ending matters with a devastating barrage of left-hooks to the head and body.

On the other hand, Thomas might have used his excellent left-jab to keep Gerry at bay, eventually scoring with powerful right hands, and winning by knockout. Cooney didn't take a punch well, was easy to hit, and tended to lose his poise if and when hurt.
scorpio83
Welterweight

Post by scorpio83 »

Either Cooney KO Pinky out in 4 rounds with many body punches and left hooks or Pinky would outbox Cooney behind his quick left jabs and right hands to either take a decision or stopping Cooney late at least in 12 rounds.
Joson
Light Flyweight

Post by Joson »

scorpio83 wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 14:29 Either Cooney KO Pinky out in 4 rounds with many body punches and left hooks or Pinky would outbox Cooney behind his quick left jabs and right hands to either take a decision or stopping Cooney late at least in 12 rounds.
Pinky definitely had the boxing ability to get the better of Cooney. But in analyzing this fight, I discounted Pinky's technical skills for one reason, that being his tendency - sometimes - to be passive, and not let his hands move. That's why I think that Cooney, just maybe, might have had a chance to catch Pinky with a series of bombs and stop him.

Maybe I'm wrong about this perceived, occasional flaw in Pinky's performances. Still, that's my memory of Thomas's fights.
Scypion
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Scypion »

I would go with Thomas in this one.
Ambling Alp II
Super Welterweight

Post by Ambling Alp II »

The problem with Cooney is that we just don't have a lot to go on. Before the Holmes fight, he was untested with wins over big names who were way past it.

IIs too bad that he never fought guys like Thomas, Witherspoon, Page, Dokes, Tubbs etc. would have been interesting to see how he would have done.
He fought fairly well against Holmes. If he did that against Thomas, it would have been a very competitive fight.