Favourite boxing podcasts?

SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Re: Favourite boxing podcasts?

Post by SeanBrennan »

big lennox wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 14:05
SeanBrennan wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 10:55 this is a great Boxing News/George Groves one - interviewing Donald McRae. If you've read Dark Trade you'll enjoy this.

Thanks. This is a particularly good listen. Donald McCrae's book ' The Dark Trade is one of the best boxing books ever written. A great guy to listen to, too. Groves is a really good host.
my pleasure. Dark Trade is the second boxing book I read, after the one about Naz by the Irish psychologist fella Geoffrey Beattie iirc. McRae comes across lovely.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

Spud wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 14:10 George’s interviews are excellent …

I particularly enjoyed the one with “Mick The Rub”

Mick Williamson
ooh not seen that one going to look it up, Mick is a legend in the sport, he taught Kerry Kayes how to do cuts didn't he
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

Mick Williamson
great article about Mick from fews ago https://boxingnewsonline.net/mick-williamson/
big lennox
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by big lennox »

SeanBrennan wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 16:14
SeanBrennan wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 10:55 this is a great Boxing News/George Groves one - interviewing Donald McRae. If you've read Dark Trade you'll enjoy this.

Thanks. This is a particularly good listen. Donald McCrae's book ' The Dark Trade is one of the best boxing books ever written. A great guy to listen to, too. Groves is a really good host.
my pleasure. Dark Trade is the second boxing book I read, after the one about Naz by the Irish psychologist fella Geoffrey Beattie iirc. McRae comes across lovely.
On the Ropes by Geoffrey Beattie is a cracking read. Another one of my favourites. Would loved to have seen Mick Mills (who is featured quite heavily) fight. Sounded like a massive puncher.

Sounds like On The Ropes is going to be made into a film:

https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/news/2023/02 ... hollywood/
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

big lennox wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 17:01

On the Ropes by Geoffrey Beattie is a cracking read. Another one of my favourites. Would loved to have seen Mick Mills (who is featured quite heavily) fight. Sounded like a massive puncher.

awesome, I read his other boxing book too.

Mick Mills - proper blast from past. My closest friend Bob who used to run our gym, is close friends with him as they know each other from when Bob ran a security company. He speaks very highly of Mick.
big lennox
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by big lennox »

SeanBrennan wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 17:18
big lennox wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 17:01

awesome, I read his other boxing book too.

Mick Mills - proper blast from past. My closest friend Bob who used to run our gym, is close friends with him as they know each other from when Bob ran a security company. He speaks very highly of Mick.
I met Mick Mills once at an amateur show. Really chatty and friendly. Great company. Great to hear that your friend thinks highly of him.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

SeanBrennan wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 16:15

Mick Williamson
ooh not seen that one going to look it up, Mick is a legend in the sport, he taught Kerry Kayes how to do cuts didn't he
Kerry Kayes … what a truly great man.

I went to the recent Josh Kelly fight, kerry was there working with Another true lgent Jamie Moore.

They let me stay in the dressing room. We all
Had a great debate about various aspects of boxing.
stujones
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by stujones »

Really found it odd that Kayes went from this "guru of nutrition" to a cuts man. You would have thought the amount of press he was getting at Ricky's pomp he could have set up a highly lucrative business without needing to think about being a cuts man.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

stujones wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 09:27 Really found it odd that Kayes went from this "guru of nutrition" to a cuts man. You would have thought the amount of press he was getting at Ricky's pomp he could have set up a highly lucrative business without needing to think about being a cuts man.
Kerry is a very rich man. He often said he didnt need boxing.
Last edited by Spud on 01 Mar 2024, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
stujones
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by stujones »

Spud wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 09:34
stujones wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 09:27 Really found it odd that Kayes went from this "guru of nutrition" to a cuts man. You would have thought the amount of press he was getting at Ricky's pomp he could have set up a highly lucrative business without needing to think about being a cuts man.
Kerry is a very rich man. He often said he didnt need boxing.
Fair enough, just the impression that was given (as a complete outsider) was that Kerry was nutrition man first and foremost and wasn't really a die hard boxing fan / boxing man. Just happen to be his most high profile client was the most well known British boxer at the time.

So I just saw it as "odd" when I heard he was working the corner as a cuts man.

Obviously the impression that the media gave was way out as to be a cuts man, you've really got to be a massive fan of the sport.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

Spud wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 09:22
SeanBrennan wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 16:15

Mick Williamson
Kerry Kayes … what a truly great man.

I went to the recent Josh Kelly fight, kerry was there working with Another true lgent Jamie Moore.

They let me stay in the dressing room. We all
Had a great debate about various aspects of boxing.
that is great of them to do that. Kerry truly loves the sport, he's 70 now, has more money than he can ever spend but just loves the sport. It was him who got Gomez healthy and making weight properly when he coached his diet and weight making for the Alex Arthur fight. Kerry bet on Gomez to win as he knew Gomez had come in to the best of his ability for that fight. Kayes was really well regarded in bodybuilding, he pretty much kept NABBA running in the UK for a period, and sponsored people well when he had CNP.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

this one is brilliant

knew he'd boxed but did not know he was a junior ABA fighter, speaks so highly of what boxing did for him. Says Bunce does a lot too, has known him since Harris was 13.
si7dog7
Super Welterweight

Post by si7dog7 »

Highfield.
Terry is great
Delta Jay
Welterweight

Post by Delta Jay »

Mick Williamson
Met him after a few shows over the years and he’s a funny guy. My cousin asked him if he wanted an apprentice/understudy and I can’t remember his exact wording but it was a brutal takedown and hilariously done. Still wins my cuz up about that
The_Don1
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by The_Don1 »

Boxrec Grey has started his 'Unprofessional boxing podcast' again, it's on spotify and other platforms, worth a listen from a man who has a good insight on the sport.
Delta Jay
Welterweight

Post by Delta Jay »

If you’re looking for serious professional analysis and coverage, you need to stay well away from Whiskey & White. Tyrone McKenna and Tommy McCarthy just chatting nonsense and always hilarious and usually some nice insightful boxing chat. I like how unserious it is, breath of fresh air in a sport full of egomaniacs.

TKO with Frampton and Chris was great, always missed it since it finished.

Life Stories will be unsurpassable for a while. Tris was just so good with his interview techniques, never seen so many big hard bastards crying their eyes out like that before.

5 Live Boxing with Bunce is boss if you remember not to take him seriously. He’s a silly Billy at heart and if you accept that it’s a fun ride. His access and willingness to travel really set that show apart.

I don’t normally like the lads chatting ones cos I can’t help but think it’s disrespectful when they’re calling world champs a bum.
Delta Jay
Welterweight

Post by Delta Jay »

The_Don1 wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 16:27 Boxrec Grey has started his 'Unprofessional boxing podcast' again, it's on spotify and other platforms, worth a listen from a man who has a good insight on the sport.
Like that guy, spoke now and then on twitter he’s cool
Deserter
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Deserter »

SeanBrennan wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 15:55 this one is brilliant

knew he'd boxed but did not know he was a junior ABA fighter, speaks so highly of what boxing did for him. Says Bunce does a lot too, has known him since Harris was 13.
yep, listened to this yesterday and agree completely mate, absolute quality and Harris comes across as a top, top man.
SeanBrennan
Flyweight

Post by SeanBrennan »

Deserter wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 16:36
SeanBrennan wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 15:55 this one is brilliant

yep, listened to this yesterday and agree completely mate, absolute quality and Harris comes across as a top, top man.
definitely mate. real respect from him towards boxers. Ace that he fought Barry Jones!
veriton
Light Heavyweight

Post by veriton »

Just got a free ticket to see Bunce doing his live podcast with Josh Warrington in Leeds on March 19. Hoping it's a good night, his one in Belfast was superb but the most recent one in Cromer wasn't great
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

Whatever you think of Bunce he does graft his b* llocks off.

He makes me cringe sometimes … he reminds me off a annoying +*** who works in horse racing … Matt Chapman
DavidPayne
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by DavidPayne »

Boxerbeetle wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 06:55
CJG wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 03:35 Boxing News podcast, by far the best for me. No screaming and shouting or nonsense . Sounds very professional
Bloody awful intro music though.
;-)
DavidPayne
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by DavidPayne »

I used to be a regular on the Big Fight Weekend one for a 2-3 years but it has now evolved and big Dan has the chair. I like it because TJ is a consummate pro.

I listen to BN one - not religiously, but a big fan of Matt's ability to debate and define without ever being melodramatic or cynical or losing sight of both sides of every point.

Dip in and out of Groves.
Spud
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Spud »

I note kugan is a lot quieter than normal, has he lost his enthusiasm for the sport0? Or is he too rich for work, at 1 time I thought he was very good.

I repeat I f*cking hate some of the sniviling grovelling ****s who do interviews nowb … i am really sorry but the geezer who is working with Peter Fury is nauseating bad