Page 2 of 2

Re: michael sweeney v ian tims. may 15th,ireland

Posted: 16 May 2010, 10:41
by BigEars
slapbangwhallop wrote:
Ketchel wrote:Tommy Tolan is now 37, a middleweight and hasn't fought in 5 years! He will give it a good go as that is the way he is but a poor matchup even at short notice.
dont agree with that. Tolan came in in good shape and gave it his all. Much better than gettin Sloban Gluemadeabic who is looking for a comfort corner of canvas at the first opportunity.

I thought that Peters did well to find him.

Who would have down better at three days notice?
I agree I thought it was an excellent match up at such short notice and Tolan was competitive in there(although still clearly losing).
It actually wasn't a bad learning fight for Sweeney who lets not forget hasn't had that many pro fights and I think last nights fight will have served him well.

Re: michael sweeney v ian tims. may 15th,ireland

Posted: 17 Jun 2010, 17:00
by slapbangwhallop
Sweeney calls out Tims and new Irish light heavy champ John waldron.


The storm feels frozen out

Ballinrobe boxer Michael Sweeney feels frozen out of a shot at an Irish title which he considers is rightfully his following victories over Jamie Power and Tommy Tolan.

Hungry for baubles, Sweeney saw his first opportunity to accumulate an inaugural title slip through his fingers when one most highly anticipated Irish title fights of recent years, against Dubliner Ian Tims, was cancelled just days before the duo were to square up on the Andy Lee-Mamadou Thiam undercard last month in Limerick.

‘The Storm’ was hoping to breeze into a slot on the Dolphil promotion at the CityWesy Hotel, Dublin on August 7 and as current Irish light-heavyweight champion John Waldron was already listed on the card and without an opponent, Sweeney called Don O’Leary to gauge his appetite for hosting a showdown for the title which Waldron snatched from under Jamie Power’s nose in front of the Limerickman’s home crowd.

“I rang up Don (O’Leary, the Dol in DolPhil) to see if I could get my shot at the Irish title against John Waldron. Don said he couldn’t put me on because the card was full and it wasn’t making sense to have that fight (between two Mayomen) in Dublin. To his credit he said he could fit me on to a card in September or October but that’s not really any good to me because I need to keep the momentum going,” explained Sweeney.

Not to be deterred the businessman in Sweeney emerged. “Then I promised to guarantee ticket sales and fight for half the price of what John got for his title fight. I even said I would agree to a winner takes all arrangement.

the rest of the article is here .............. http://www.irish-boxing.com/stories/jun ... n_out.html