burns next opponent

sgtcecil
Light Heavyweight

burns next opponent

Post by sgtcecil »

Who does everyone expect burns next defence to be? I take it he will get a voluntary?

Current WBO rankings;
Champ ROMAN MARTINEZ PR (now burns!)

1 Ricky Burns UK
2 Terdsak Jandaeng (Oriental) THAI
3 Eloy Perez (NABO) USA
4 Leva Kirakosyan ARM
5 Ji-Hoon Kim SK
6 Sergey Gulyakevich BEL
7 Rey Labao (Asia-Pacific) PHI
8 Vicente M. Rodriguez ARG
9 Urbano Antillon MEX
10 Jason Litzau USA
11 Santos Benavides NIC
12 Emmanuel Tagoe (WBO Africa) GHA
13 Alisher Rahimov UZB
14 Fernando D. Saucedo ARG
15 Allan Tanada (Asia-Pacific Youth) PHI

Of course these will change but dont know much about the fighters on that list except Leva Kirakosyan and Sergey Gulyakevich.

Who out of those opponents could he beat and who would be a struggle?
whatashambles
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: burns next opponent

Post by whatashambles »

Warren said it would be in December and I bet it'll be Alex Arthur.
jameswilson
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jameswilson »

whatashambles wrote:Warren said it would be in December and I bet it'll be Alex Arthur.
I thought Arthur had left Warren but then he did fight on the bill last night. My initial thought was Arthur or Nicky Cook who despite having not fought in ages is an ex champion and I'm sure that would be reason enough for the WBO to sanction it.
hurlock
Super Middleweight

Post by hurlock »

probably be stephen foster :!:
Tommy Gunn13
Light Heavyweight

Post by Tommy Gunn13 »

whatashambles wrote:Warren said it would be in December and I bet it'll be Alex Arthur.
I doubt he could get down to super feather nowadays
Autobarn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Autobarn »

would love to see kirakosyan (who destroyed johanesson, who beat burns - but i''m sure burns is past that now) or jandaeng (who gave a great effort vs jm marquez, cutting the mexican). but this is boxing and there's no point fantasising about all the great matchups, because it might well just be about keeping burns in the title. let's face it, how many saw him as world title matrial - ever?

does the puerto rican have a rematch clause, or was burns the mando?

one interesting thing re burns becoming champ - a lt of ppl will be gunning for him, or at least wanting to.
orbtastic
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by orbtastic »

Burns was WBO number 1 and it was a mandatory i.e. forced.

Thta means he doesn't have to make a mandatory for another 12 months.

Expect to see a couple of easy defences before facing someone like Kirakosyan
mickey1975
Super Middleweight

Post by mickey1975 »

Arthur re-signed with Warren and Foster jr is with Hatton
sgtcecil
Light Heavyweight

Post by sgtcecil »

He is capable of beating kyrakosian who should beat foster jr. Arthur will struggle to get to lightweight let alone back to super-feather. Cook could be a shout if he fights again - been quiet on the cook front, what is he doing?
jameswilson
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by jameswilson »

sgtcecil wrote:He is capable of beating kyrakosian who should beat foster jr. Arthur will struggle to get to lightweight let alone back to super-feather. Cook could be a shout if he fights again - been quiet on the cook front, what is he doing?
Hasn't fought since losing the belt. Now that this has happened tho it won't suprise me to see him back in a 6 or 8 rounder before the year is up. With Burns being with the same promoter and Cook being an ex-WBO Super featherweight champ it makes a lot of sense to certain people.
@markmcgee87
Light Heavyweight

Post by @markmcgee87 »

theu should have a rematch :box:
JimJim2009
Light Heavyweight

Post by JimJim2009 »

My guess would be Burns vs Mitchell - Kevin Mitchell was meant to be the Ricky Hatton of the south, it went wrong against Katsidis but he might end the year as "world champ". With the greatest of respect to Burns, I don't imagine Frank will see him as a long term attraction/earner, not in the same league, potentially, as Kevin Mitchell. Shades of Steve Robinson and Naz Hamed when they fought - there was nothing wrong with Steve Robinson's reign but Hamed was able to generate a lot more money. I see parallels between both cases, but I must say, I hope Ricky Burns makes a fortune from his outstanding win and has many more glory nights, he thoroughly deserves it. Mitchell moved up to lightweight over the last year or two but didn't look strong against Katsidis and I wonder if he'll drop back down for a crack at Burns...
geoffburt07
Middleweight

Post by geoffburt07 »

im guessing it'll be someone like scott lawton, stephen foster, gary sykes... may be even simpson? it'll defo bring in the crowds!
hurlock
Super Middleweight

Post by hurlock »

geoffburt07 wrote:im guessing it'll be someone like scott lawton, stephen foster, gary sykes... may be even simpson? it'll defo bring in the crowds!

simpson would be good.
LeedsLad
Middleweight

Post by LeedsLad »

Hopefully someone isn't just picked because they are British.

No point in Burns engaging in a domestic level fight for the sake of it.

He didn't really deserve his shot, but beat a legitimate champion handily, and would probably do him again in a return.

Hopefully someone in the upper reaches of the WBO rankings, or even a unification fight.
DavidPayne
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by DavidPayne »

the thai.....easy, simple
DougieC30
Super Middleweight

Post by DougieC30 »

Mitchell said he was really struggling to make the weight thats why he had to move up... Would be a good fight right enough, Both got a really good jab and a good boxing Brain.. The winner of Leva Kirakosyan v Stephen Foster would be a obvious choice... It could well be a few guys like, Karim Chakim, Roy Mukhlis, or Gamaliel Diaz... i think he will want to defend it against half decent guys to settle in at world level then have a fight against a top contender...
orbtastic
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by orbtastic »

Do you think FW (or anyone forthat matter) can sell a fight with any of those 3, or even Terdsak? It's a pretty big sell.

At least Kirakosen has fought over here before, he's got promotional ties with FW and is somewhat known, to fight fans. Not saying my mum would have any idea who he is, but she has no idea who Burns is either (or Martinez).
DougieC30
Super Middleweight

Post by DougieC30 »

The Kelvin Hall was jumping last night because it was a world title fight, so why dont u think hed sell it out again??? the place was going nuts and am sure it would be the same for any of Rickys defences.
mickey1975
Super Middleweight

Post by mickey1975 »

JimJim2009 wrote:My guess would be Burns vs Mitchell - Kevin Mitchell was meant to be the Ricky Hatton of the south, it went wrong against Katsidis but he might end the year as "world champ". With the greatest of respect to Burns, I don't imagine Frank will see him as a long term attraction/earner, not in the same league, potentially, as Kevin Mitchell. Shades of Steve Robinson and Naz Hamed when they fought - there was nothing wrong with Steve Robinson's reign but Hamed was able to generate a lot more money. I see parallels between both cases, but I must say, I hope Ricky Burns makes a fortune from his outstanding win and has many more glory nights, he thoroughly deserves it. Mitchell moved up to lightweight over the last year or two but didn't look strong against Katsidis and I wonder if he'll drop back down for a crack at Burns...
You might be suprised.Fwank did very well out of Scott Harrison defending at the Braehead arena,the Scots are very passionate about their champions and this will be big news up there,much bigger than if Mitchell won the same belt down here.He has Arthur,Appleby and Simpson and could put together a good show up there.I dont think Mitchell has much earning potential left.A lot who went to Upton Park(where Fwank possibly lost money) wont be buying into the hype anymore and he seriously pissed Fwank off revealing his shoddy training camp.Mitchell couldnt do super-feather again anyway,especially after another long lay off.
hurlock
Super Middleweight

Post by hurlock »

going nuts to see him stay on his feet running & slapping his way home. i dont know whats worst that guy's voice singing flower of scotland or burns's fighting style.
i prefer simpson ten fold.
mickey1975
Super Middleweight

Post by mickey1975 »

sgtcecil wrote:He is capable of beating kyrakosian who should beat foster jr. Arthur will struggle to get to lightweight let alone back to super-feather. Cook could be a shout if he fights again - been quiet on the cook front, what is he doing?
After beating the Ring Magazine no2 he should be capable of beating anyone let alone a strictly Euro fighter who has been flattered by his visits here.
orbtastic
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by orbtastic »

DougieC30 wrote:The Kelvin Hall was jumping last night because it was a world title fight, so why dont u think hed sell it out again??? the place was going nuts and am sure it would be the same for any of Rickys defences.
why limit yourself to 2 and a half thousand?

Martinez was relatively known, he'd been over here before and it's an angle you can sell - unbeaten, world champ, Puerto Rican, "puncher", can burns do it etc?. Try selling a fight against a Lithuanian ice cream seller whose name people can't even say?
DougieC30
Super Middleweight

Post by DougieC30 »

The subject was 'Burns next fight' i dont know and you dont know who it will be... i agree with you about Karim Chakim, Roy Mukhlis, and Gamaliel Diaz they are not World Champ knockout artists like Roman Martenez and if the question was 'Who should be Burns next fight' then none of them would be in it..allegedly knows what hes doing with his boxers... Amir Khans first defence of this WBA Title was against Dmitriy Salita a very much unknown boxer, but one that still got 10,000 at the Metro arena. Now am not saying Burns is as popular as Khan, am just indicating that Warren is not going to put Burns in with danger guy in his first fight...
gobbles
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by gobbles »

Won't be Arthur. My initial thought was Paul Appleby