Broadhurst splits with trainer
Posted: 26 Jan 2011, 13:30
Broadhurst believes he will thrive in new environment
By matt panter sports reporter
ERDINGTON super-flyweight Don Broadhurst is to work with former WBU middleweight champion Anthony Farnell as he bids to get his boxing career back on track.
Broadhurst – who has lost his last two pro fights – has split with coach Richie Woodhall due to the latter's work commitments elsewhere.
The two will remain closely linked, but Broadhurst has now turned to Farnell for support.
The Manchester-based trainer is chief custodian of future stars such as Frankie Gavin and Tony Bellew and, as a professional, won WBU titles at middleweight and light-middleweight in a 37-fight career which brought 33 wins, 20 by knockout.
Broadhurst said: "This is the start of a new challenge for me.
"Richie is no longer training from my gym in Birmingham because he has a lot of work commitments this year.
"It's sad because we have become good friends and always will be.
"He's someone I have a lot of respect for, but I know he's always on hand to offer me advice and support.
"I will certainly be taking on board all the knowledge I have gathered from him and I will still have the support of people at my gym in Birmingham.
"But this is a new challenge for me now and I'm looking forward to a fresh start.
"I want to go forward with my boxing career – the last year or so it's gone stagnant.
"So I'll be working up in Manchester with Anthony Farnell. I have worked with him before and we have a good relationship.
"He trains the likes of Frankie Gavin and has instilled a winning mentality within the gym up there.
"That's the kind of environment I want to thrive in. It'll be good to mix with the lads up there and bounce off them."
Broadhurst is expected to return to the ring on March 12 or 19 and will head to Manchester six weeks before his fight to step up preparations.
He is determined to return to his best after suffering defeat in his "winner takes all" British and Commonwealth title battle with Bristol's Lee Haskins in December 2009.
His solitary fight of 2010 also ended in an International Masters bantamweight title points defeat to Najah Ali.
"It's time to draw a line under the last year and I'm ready to kick on now," he said.
By matt panter sports reporter
ERDINGTON super-flyweight Don Broadhurst is to work with former WBU middleweight champion Anthony Farnell as he bids to get his boxing career back on track.
Broadhurst – who has lost his last two pro fights – has split with coach Richie Woodhall due to the latter's work commitments elsewhere.
The two will remain closely linked, but Broadhurst has now turned to Farnell for support.
The Manchester-based trainer is chief custodian of future stars such as Frankie Gavin and Tony Bellew and, as a professional, won WBU titles at middleweight and light-middleweight in a 37-fight career which brought 33 wins, 20 by knockout.
Broadhurst said: "This is the start of a new challenge for me.
"Richie is no longer training from my gym in Birmingham because he has a lot of work commitments this year.
"It's sad because we have become good friends and always will be.
"He's someone I have a lot of respect for, but I know he's always on hand to offer me advice and support.
"I will certainly be taking on board all the knowledge I have gathered from him and I will still have the support of people at my gym in Birmingham.
"But this is a new challenge for me now and I'm looking forward to a fresh start.
"I want to go forward with my boxing career – the last year or so it's gone stagnant.
"So I'll be working up in Manchester with Anthony Farnell. I have worked with him before and we have a good relationship.
"He trains the likes of Frankie Gavin and has instilled a winning mentality within the gym up there.
"That's the kind of environment I want to thrive in. It'll be good to mix with the lads up there and bounce off them."
Broadhurst is expected to return to the ring on March 12 or 19 and will head to Manchester six weeks before his fight to step up preparations.
He is determined to return to his best after suffering defeat in his "winner takes all" British and Commonwealth title battle with Bristol's Lee Haskins in December 2009.
His solitary fight of 2010 also ended in an International Masters bantamweight title points defeat to Najah Ali.
"It's time to draw a line under the last year and I'm ready to kick on now," he said.